Ex-Solarplicity customers wrongly switched to Toto Energy - MSE News

Comments

• DawnCrush
    DawnCrush Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 August 2019 at 10:50AM
    FreeBear wrote: »
    So who do I put down as my current supplier ?
    Toto who are still in the process of switching my supply from Solarplicity, or Solarplicity who are no longer trading.

If you are one of the vast bulk of former Solarplicity customers that were taken over by Toto, then Toto is your current supplier.

Your tariff remains the same as it was with solarplicity (except any early exit fees have been removed), so I'm not sure why you would want to suddenly switch now :huh:

The switch occurred between 2nd Aug and 9th Aug, as your earlier post suggests
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Got switched to Toto ....

If you were one of the remaining 7500 customers that were to remain with Solarplicity (including any that were erroneously switched to Toto, and are now being returned to Solarplicity) then Solarplicity remains your supplier until such times as a SoLR is appointed by the regulator.
    Ofgem’s advice to Solarplicity’s customers in the meantime is to:
    • Not switch to another energy supplier until a new one has been appointed and you have been contacted by them in the following weeks.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-protects-customers-failed-supplier-solarplicity
  • TheRoss
    TheRoss Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 August 2019 at 4:49PM
    EDF now appointed to pick up the remaining Solarplicity customers (and hopefully, to refund credit balances to ex-customers!).

Forum won't let me link to the Ofgem post, but it's on the front page of their site.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    TheRoss wrote: »
    EDF now appointed to pick up the remaining Solarplicity customers (and hopefully, to refund credit balances to ex-customers!).

Forum won't let me link to the Ofgem post, but it's on the front page of their site.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/solarplicity-customers-your-questions-new-supplier-edf:
    I’ve left Solarplicity, but have a credit balance. Will EDF Energy pay me this money?

EDF Energy will honour credit balances for both current and past domestic customers of Solarplicity who are owed money.

EDF Energy will review details of any debt or credit on your account. Wait for them to contact you with relevant instructions. They will also be able to answer any questions you may have on credit on your account. The review process can take some time, as EDF Energy needs to get and review your records from Solarplicity. When calculating your credit balance, EDF Energy will deduct any unbilled charges for your supply by Solarplicity. These are calculated by Solarplicity’s administrators.

I feel sorry for EDF.

It appears Solarplicity sold its active accounts (and many old accounts) to TOTO a few hours before its collapsed. I suspect EDF will only inherit a list of ex-customers who are owed money.

Good news for you and me. :rotfl:
  • Delburn
    Delburn Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, EDF are going to pick up a complete mess. However, they are likely to be able to send OFGEM a bill for the credit refunds and perhaps their admin time. This will get passed on to other suppliers and ultimately the end customer.

Meanwhile Solarplicity will walk away from perhaps £20m of debt. They are now carrying on with the new Solarplicity RAC company which probably will shortly be renamed as part of a strategy to disassociate themselves with the tarnished name.

It can already be seen that Solarplicity have misleadingly deleted references to Solarplicity in their Community Energy Scheme terms and conditions and privacy policy. Not sure how they think they can get away with using the exact company names that are already owned by the Royal Automobile Club and a large window manufacturer.
  • I too was transferred over to Toto 4th August. My contract with Solaplicity was ending on 19th September, so switched to Lumo last week, to be switched on 14th September. Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed, which should take about a week or so, by which time, I'm out of contract for switching, as it takes 17 days, so am put on a standard rate until it suits them to unblock me. So just a warning, we're all being prevented from switching.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 August 2019 at 11:44AM
    Sally_J wrote: »
    I too was transferred over to Toto 4th August. My contract with Solaplicity was ending on 19th September, so switched to Lumo last week, to be switched on 14th September. Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed, which should take about a week or so, by which time, I'm out of contract for switching, as it takes 17 days, so am put on a standard rate until it suits them to unblock me. So just a warning, we're all being prevented from switching.

I think you will possibly cause undue confusion posting in this thread,

This thread is called :
    Ex-Solarplicity customers wrongly switched to Toto Energy

You don't appear to have been wrongly switched.
    Why the sudden urge to switch supplier??? You are on the same tariff as you were on with Solarplicity.
    If the tariff ends on 19th September, you were able to switch from as early as 1st August by my reckoning. Actually you could have applied even before that, as long as the switch did not actually occur before that date.You could have been switched to the new supplier of your choice before the switch to Toto ever occurred.
    However, as you appear to have been correctly switched to Toto, then no money is owed to Solarplicity. All credits or debits have been taken over by Toto as part of the switch agreement between the two companies. I suggest you follow the Toto complaint procedure.

But if you were wrongly switched, you will be treated as never joining Toto. As Solarplicity subsequent to this article/thread commencement announced they were ceasing to trade, Ofgem appointed EDF as the SoLR.
    Therefore any affected former Solarplicity customers would end up with EDF.
    (and on a different tariff from that they were formally on with Solarplicity)
    As per the EDF website:
    We’d love you to stay with us and benefit from the great service and value that our customers already enjoy. But if you do wish to change supplier, please wait until you have received your contract as this will confirm your new account has been set up
    https://www.edfenergy.com/solarplicity-customers
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed

I had several different excuses from Toto - First was "OFGEM rules prevent any switching for 21 days", then it was "We don't have all the information from Solarplicity about your [gas/electricity] meter". Final excuse was "Our system automatically objects to any transfer until we have data from Solarplicity and it can not be overridden" - Finally got hold of a "manager" with authority to press the right buttons. Called her out on the bull I'd been given as well as having stern words to say about the tariff I'd been switched to.
    Have been assured that the switch to another supplier will go ahead without any further objections being raised and my tariff will remain unchanged if/when they produce a final bill - Will not hold my breath that the final bill won't be a shambles.

If Toto try to impose any penalty fees for switching, follow their complaints process. It is their incompetence that results in any additional charges, and the lack of information from Solarplicity is not your problem. Eight weeks later, have a go at OFGEM.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Delburn
    Delburn Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I too was transferred over to Toto 4th August. My contract with Solaplicity was ending on 19th September, so switched to Lumo last week, to be switched on 14th September. Toto have now blocked the switch after 6 emails confirming the switch. They say it's the ombudsman who has blocked everyone from switching until Solaplicity confirm no money is owed, which should take about a week or so, by which time, I'm out of contract for switching, as it takes 17 days, so am put on a standard rate until it suits them to unblock me. So just a warning, we're all being prevented from switching.

You are getting the normal false statements from Toto. The Ombudsman deals with complaints and does not give out these kind of instructions to companies. This is just Toto's policy of trying to block legitimate switches.

Toto should have obtained the information they need to administer your contract at the point they agreed to take it on from Solarplicity.

Good advice from FreeBear. My recollection is companies have to continue honouring the fixed tariff in most circumstances when you switch away around the time of the expiry date, but the transfer is still pending.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2019 at 9:29PM
    **IMPORTANT** ALL OTHER WRONGLY SWITCHED EX-SOLARPLICITY CUSTOMERS SHOULD CHECK THEIR JUNK/SPAM FOLDERS. YOU MAY HAVE A BILL FROM TOTO TODAY.

Well this is all going swimmingly.

I'm one of the ex-Solarplicity customers who had their supply wrongly switched (see post #2 on this thread).

Having been told on Wednesday 7th August by a very charmingly apologetic and friendly man over the phone from Toto that my switch would be cancelled and return back to my previous supplier (Co-op in my case), today I have received a monthly bill.

Estimated reads, but I am on their system as a live customer.

My supply was correctly reversed back as an erroneous switch. Co-op have confirmed this. Toto have sent out a totally fictitious bill. They must know this surely. When does incompetence cross the line to become fraud?

This is exactly what Solarplicity did initially when I first left them back in April.

So I may now end up with two organisations - Toto and Solarplicity's administrators - both attempting to chase me for totally erroneous debts.

I have all my paperwork in place so they won't get a penny but I can see this being a real headache.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure