Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FunLovinCriminal
    • By FunLovinCriminal 28th Mar 16, 3:22 PM
    • 404Posts
    • 426Thanks
    FunLovinCriminal
    Receipt Hog
    • 28th Mar 16, 3:22 PM
    Receipt Hog 28th Mar 16 at 3:22 PM
    Hi all
    Does anyone use receipt hog? Ive started to use it; and a little sceptical.
    Is it as good as they say? Or too good to be true?
    FLC
    Mortgage: 01/02/14 - 108k
    Mortgage: Current - 97k
    Mission: MF by 50
Page 1
    • Mind Game
    • By Mind Game 28th Mar 16, 4:08 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Mind Game
    • 28th Mar 16, 4:08 PM
    • 28th Mar 16, 4:08 PM
    Never heard of it - will be looking it up.
    Broke.
    Current goal: Back in four figures by May.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 28th Mar 16, 4:14 PM
    • 2,531 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    Syman
    • 28th Mar 16, 4:14 PM
    • 28th Mar 16, 4:14 PM
    thread here
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 28th Mar 16, 5:32 PM
    • 35,695 Posts
    • 41,863 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 28th Mar 16, 5:32 PM
    • 28th Mar 16, 5:32 PM
    Referrals are only allowed in the existing thread in the referrals section
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 29th Mar 16, 12:01 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    • 29th Mar 16, 12:01 PM
    • 29th Mar 16, 12:01 PM
    I'm using it at the moment. I would say its quite a slow earner but it seems to recognise the receipts pretty well and as I'm doing a similar thing with Shopitise it only takes a few moments to do this as well.
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 7th Apr 18, 12:56 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    emperorstevee
    • 7th Apr 18, 12:56 AM
    Wombling with Receipt Hog
    • 7th Apr 18, 12:56 AM
    How could they possibly know if the submitted receipt is wombled?
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 7th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    mikep22
    • 7th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    • 7th Apr 18, 8:46 AM
    Signed by Uncle Bargaria.
    Debt: May 15: 17335 Jul 16: 13874 Jan 17: 11,606 Dec 18: 8,308 Sept 19: 4,969
    • asajj
    • By asajj 7th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 4,582 Posts
    • 12,909 Thanks
    asajj
    • 7th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    If you collect recipes that have times very close to each other, i.e. 13.01 then another one at 13.10 then another one at 13.20, within the same day, they are likely to think that perhaps.
    2015 in 2015 / 2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 7th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 12,504 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 7th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    How could they possibly know if the submitted receipt is wombled?
    Originally posted by emperorstevee
    I think these apps are cracking down on this. For example, Shoppix won't let you submit two receipts from one store with the same date on. It is a pain for me as I often pop into the supermarket before and after work so I lose out. I expect as more people do this these apps will impose more restrictions on what receipts you can use.
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 7th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    emperorstevee
    I think these apps are cracking down on this. For example, Shoppix won't let you submit two receipts from one store with the same date on. It is a pain for me as I often pop into the supermarket before and after work so I lose out. I expect as more people do this these apps will impose more restrictions on what receipts you can use.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    I see. But say I submitted one receipt from say Tesco at 1pm which was mine and then a wombled Poundland receipt from 3pm, might there be some sort of way for them to determine that the Poundland receipt is not mine, maybe looking at one of the many codes present on the receipt, particularly if that person paid with a card?
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 7th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 12,504 Thanks
    Hermia
    I see. But say I submitted one receipt from say Tesco at 1pm which was mine and then a wombled Poundland receipt from 3pm, might there be some sort of way for them to determine that the Poundland receipt is not mine, maybe looking at one of the many codes present on the receipt, particularly if that person paid with a card?
    Originally posted by emperorstevee
    I don't see how they could. I mean, I will sometimes pay with my credit card in one shop and with my debit card in another shop. Also some of those apps allow you to submit receipts for anyone living in your house so that would account for different cards. I doubt these apps have access to the list of codes each company uses. I think what makes these companies suspicious is if people submit multiple receipts from the same shop or submit a ridiculous amounts of receipts every day.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 23rd Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Receipt Hog vs Shoppix
    Hi, hopefully this is useful to someone, if not then sorry for the post!

I've been using both these apps for a while now and felt it was worth a quick comparison, both pay you for sending photos of receipts.

Both apps are easy to use but Receipt Hog is slightly easier in my experience.

However, Shoppix is far more generous, or less stingey, depending on how you look at it!

For example, it took me 20 months to earn a 20 Paypal credit from Receipt Hog, so 1 a month.

Shoppix has just paid me 10 and I have used that for 5 months, so it's 2 a month or twice as generous.

Of course nothing stopping you using both as I do.

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Are there any other apps like this available?

It may not seem worth it but it's very little effort, I tend to scan the receipts when I am waiting in the car for the kids etc, so just utilising "idle" time.
    Make 2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date 2,108
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 23rd Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Can I ask how they work? Do you have to snap a certain amount of receipts or is the money off of certain times you purchase? I use shopmium and checkoutsmart but I'm not familiar with the 2 you have mentioned.
    • BoraBora123
    • By BoraBora123 23rd Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    BoraBora123
    I already use Receipt Hog, it does take a long time for any kind of reward. Can you scan the same receipts if you use both apps?
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 23rd Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    I use both but always happy to hear of more receipt scanning apps.
    Thanks
    • MetalLaLa
    • By MetalLaLa 23rd Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    MetalLaLa
    I use both apps, same receipts on both with no problems. Only limits for Shoppix is one receipt per retailer per day, Receipt Hog is three receipts per retailer as a daily limit (IIRC). Both apps offer little surveys for extra coins, however I find this to be a rare occurrence on RH.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 23rd Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Yes I believe you can.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 24th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    You can use both, you simply photograph the receipts, it takes seconds.
    Make 2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date 2,108
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 29th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Shopprize is another app where you earn coins and can enter sweepstakes to win prizes, or I think you can accumulate your coins to buy vouchers. I signed up and had to be put on a waiting list for a spot. I think I was waiting for a few months but I'm now using the app
    My debt-free diary
    • emperorstevee
    • By emperorstevee 2nd May 18, 1:19 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    emperorstevee
    Wombling is working It seems they have no way to tell as long as it was physically feasible for you to have made all the purchases at the times stated in the receipt. They don't seem to check card numbers on the receipts either
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter