Thomas cook flight and direct hotel booking

Booked flights and hotel separately ( first time ever ) flights with Thomas Cook and booked directly with the hotel ( gran oasis in Tenerife) I used my credit card - Halifax clarity , and paid for the flights out right but on booking hotel was only asked for £200 deposit and to Pay the remainder on arrival ..
if Thomas cook goes bust I will claim off my credit card for the flights . Can anyone advise me whst Will happen with hotel booking if I am unable to get another flight out To Tenerife.
We are due to fly out Fri 4th .
Please advise me
Thanks

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Answered your post on the other Tc thread.
  • Westin wrote: »
    Answered your post on the other Tc thread.

No sorry , you didn’t . You posted a link , which I had read, stating about flight only not being atol protected . I wanted to know , if I’ve to Cancel the hotel if I’m unable to get a replacement flight , will
    That be possible .... but thank you for your comment .
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The MSE advise on the link suggest that you get in touch with the supplier/hotel in the first instance. Hopefully they may accommodate a change of stay or waiver any cancellation charges. The link does however state that if you were unable to travel, it's possible you could lose out if you'd separately booked accommodation that you found you were unable to use.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2019 at 9:20AM
    Yes, I am afraid this is the risk of DIY. There is no obligation on the hotel to offer a refund since the room is still available and you cannot reclaim the costs from your card company for the hotel since they have not broken the contract
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Consider a back up plan. If you can't get a direct flight to Tenerife, then consider one via say Madrid.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • niceday999
    niceday999 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Unfortunately we have a baby ....😢😢😢😢
  • Alan_Bowen
    There are dozens of flights to Tenerife from virtually every major airport in the UK and at the end of the season there should be no problem in finding alternative flights
  • if Thomas cook goes bust I will claim off my credit card for the flights
    We have friends who are on a TUI package soon - but flying with TC airlines, part of the deal as booked.

TUI shop staff have advised that the flights will go ahead - based on a briefing from TUI head office.

That suggests that the airline arm of TC can continue operating even if the parent company goes bust.

Has anybody more of an insight as to this potential scenario ?
  • Alan_Bowen
    No, what they mean is TUI will rearrange the flight, either with one of their own planes, or charter in another airline. It really looks as though TC and the airline survive or fall as one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure