2013 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• I made hm gnocchi today with hm pasta sauce - delish! Gnocchi was just potato and plain flour an sauce Italian seasoning, tomato, lazy garlic and walnut oil and sugar.

Me and 3 kids (2 of whom had thirds!!!!!!) 29p gnocchi and 70p for sauce plus 1/4 lump cathdral city (half price 2.18) 54p so 1.53 in total for all 4 of us or 38.5p each light tea for us after dinner for lunch!
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • I made hm gnocchi today with hm pasta sauce - delish! Gnocchi was just potato and plain flour an sauce Italian seasoning, tomato, lazy garlic and walnut oil and sugar.

Me and 3 kids (2 of whom had thirds!!!!!!) 29p gnocchi and 70p for sauce plus 1/4 lump cathdral city (half price 2.18) 54p so 1.53 in total for all 4 of us or 38.5p each light tea for us after dinner for lunch!

Could i have the measurements for your gnocchi please, how much potato?, how much flour? would love a go of making it!
    Having a Consumer Holiday 2015:A

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could i have the measurements for your gnocchi please, how much potato?, how much flour? would love a go of making it!

I really wanna try this aswell after seeing this (theres a recipe in the link)
    http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/11/gnocchi-frugal-italian/
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins wrote: »
    I really wanna try this aswell after seeing this (theres a recipe in the link)
    http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/11/gnocchi-frugal-italian/

wow, that is sooooo easy, thanks! will be making that in the next week!
    Having a Consumer Holiday 2015:A

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wow, that is sooooo easy, thanks! will be making that in the next week!

I know i'm waiting for hubby to be away to try it as he doesn't like tomatoes all that much, i love that blogg it's def worth having a wee skim threw if you have time.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Posted this earlier on last year's challenge, then found this one.

It's been a tough and roller coaster year here too. With a family doubled in size and newly planned out budget I had motivation and energy to get started to sort out our finances and plan for a happy future. However, 3 tyres slashed last night so having to spend any spare money on that, despite two kids needing new school trousers and shoes! However, I am determined to get through, just hoping the cars will be safe tonight. Just been on frugal queen which helps to think about each day at a time.

Here's to frugaldom! x
  • That is where I got the recipe from! I found it looking for frugal gnocchi lol. I peeled and boiled most of a bag of potatoes (2.5kg) but only used half so about a kg potato? Then mashed and left to cool and dry out. Then I just added flour till it "resembled 3 day old playdoh) - boiled in water and voila added to tomato and herby sauce topped with cheese. It was really!!! Filling!!! Use the other Hal boiled potties for dinner :) and have half the gnocchi dough in fridge for lunch again today! Will prob have marmite and margarine on it today with cheese (got 10 large jars marmite from poundland in aug so vvv cheap marmite pasta etc here often)
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

• xnatalie81x
    xnatalie81x Posts: 941 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2012 at 8:56AM
    Quintwins someone gave me a lovely non tomato recipe for gnocchi (I have a fb frugal group) she fried bacon in a spoon of butter, added flour till bubbling and then milk slowly to get a sauce then stirre in a handful of cheddar cheese :)

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Quicky HAPPY HOGMANAY from Frugaldom and a reminder that the blog is at www.frugalblog.co.uk or http://frugaldom.blogspot.com for those of you on blogger.

I don't often get the chance to post on here, although I do keep the challenger list up to date, as per instructions in posts 1 and 2.

Good luck to everyone taking part. The names get added to the challenger list as I receive them, so please take the time to read posts one and two before getting started.

Have a great year in 2013 - Frugal Living Rocks! :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • natalie...i love a gadget as well i have a pasta machine but find the dough gets very sticky and i end up in a mess:eek:...on the subject of gadgets what do people think to bread makers...im umming and ahring over one but they seem expensive

Have you tried your local fr££gle community?

You can some times pick them up on there for free when people are downsizing or just had enough. I use my local site regularly to pass on items I no longer need - but you can not be guarantee you will get the item as the person giving may get lots of requests for the item on offer but I find the more polite you are in your ask and being available to collect at a time to suit makes it more probable for you to be picked.

I have in the past year received

a nest of tables( now re vamped and very useful)
    a white gorgeous mantle piece and base
    paint
    carpet(off cut brand new perfect for hall way)
    a house phone
    a radio
    and I ,in turn passed on pet items,CD storage solutions,books,clothes,furniture to others.

It justs stops items going to the tip- I do use CS shops and I take it turns to either send stuff to charity or put on Fr£3gle

At least if it's free you can see if having a BM works for you and if not put it back on Fr3£le!:)

HTH
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family