PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wheat free recipes and ideas

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you are joining us from the weekly Tip Email

Hello and welcome to Old Style.

To find out more about where why and how Old Style helps you to save money please read our Welcome sticky.

We have several Indexed Collections which you can access via the links in the blue bar at the top of every page here, and we also have an ever expanding MEGA Index sticky which covers some 2000 of the threads here on Old Style.

I've placed the shortcut links below:-

Welcome to Old Style

Our Indexed Collections

The MEGA Index

arkonite_babe, Pink-winged and squeaky
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • aubergine
    aubergine Posts: 51 Forumite
    I've given up on trying to find a good bread substitute. I tend to stick to rice crackers, or oatcakes which are a different sort of gluten and I can tolerate. I have had some success with buckwheat (which is gluten free) pancakes and have tried to make flatbreads with gram flour which are not bad but I've never really got right.
    Other than that it's rice, preferably brown or gluten free pasta.
    For thickening I generally use cornflour.
    For sweets I go for things like meringues and ratafias or amaretti. I prefer to go for things which were meant to be gluten free rather than trying to adapt things.
  • There are lots of lovely people on the Welfed Message Board who will be able to help with your wheat free recipes. My cooking is hopeless since I have had to go gluten free & wheat free (because of Coeliac disease) so cannot offer any baking tips, but there are plenty of recipes and advice on the forum.

Hope that helps! :D

http://members2.boardhost.com/glutenfree/
  • I make a flatbread using gram flour (or one of the other pea flours you can get in the indian shops) and mix with a tsp bicarb or wheat free baking powder either with water or milk (goat/cow soya whichever you an have) as you would a cake.
    This seems to cook really well in teh micrwave and only takes a couple of minutes. If you have a shallow tupperware it makes good teacake size. it's a bit crumbly so best to do in eatable batch sizes like that but if warm and buttered because it's quite a nutty flour tastes pretty good. It also freezes well

I've also used it in muffins and added bits of dates, nuts etc (when i'm allowed sugar treats that is) for breakfast

The various candida diet cookbooks and websites have a number of wheat free recipes in as they have to be yeast free so may be worth a look and search

Dawn
    https://www.thyroid-disease.org.uk
  • Hi

Several of my family have different levels of sensitivity so I've experimented lots over the years. I have found the recipes on this website very reliable:

http://www.peter-thomson.co.uk/glutenfree/

Many gluten free recipes require xanthan gum which is, as others have said, expensive. However it does make a huge difference to the end results. I think that the wasted cost of those failed loaves (aka bricks or sponges) may make the outlay worthwhile. As a family we get one jar and divide it up between us as very little is needed in recipes - could you do something similar?
  • Gemini21
    Gemini21 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thanks for all of these recipe ideas and websites.

My Mum cannot eat wheat, citrus or dairy and really struggles to have an interesting and varied diet. I will pass on some of these recipes and ideas.

She always gets me to buy her

Sainsbury's freefrom White Sliced Bread, gluten, wheat and dairy free at £1.09. Think it is the closest to proper bread and cheaper than the other supermarkets.

Gemini21
  • jumble_2
    jumble_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been wheat and milk free for about a year and have just been advised to go try cutting out all gluten - really tough because I love porridge and oatcakes!

I tried Sourdough bread last week and liked it toasted - it was odd to start with and it's very crumbly. I also like the Tesco brown gluten-free bread but, as someone already said, most are only edible when toasted. I've bought spelt bread from my local deli and loved it but didn't know it had gluten in it till I read this thread, so thank you!

It's quite soul-destroying checking ingredients of everything in the supermarket and frequently putting things back on the shelf but I'm trying to get into the habit of making things from scratch. I've got a couple of good books called 'Cooking Without' by Barbara Cousins - their recipes cater for diets without wheat/eggs/milk and offer useful variations. There's a vegetarian book, too. You can find them easily on Amazon. Some of Gillian McKeith's recipes are really good, too, although I'm not convinced by everything she does. I like the 'You Are What You Eat Cookbook'.

Jumble

PS I've not tried making bread yet cos a breadmaker keeps moving down my 'to buy' list. Any tips on getting a cheap one?
  • juniper1
    juniper1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Just thought I'd add best, cheapest gluten free sausages are Marks & Spencers Premium Pork Sausages. £1.99 for 8. I couldn't believe it when I discovered them. They have pea flour in them.
    Buy a load and put them on a baking sheet ontop of a piece of greaseproof paper and freeze them. When frozen bag them up and they will keep in the freezer for months. Brilliant
  • nellietheel
    nellietheel Posts: 64 Forumite
    I've followed a wheat free diet for over 20 years, and you do get used to it. I was lucky a few years back when a local bakery agreed to make my bread if I supplied the wheat-free flour. I also got an Italian restaurant to make pizzas, again providing the flour. I really missed pasta and pizza, and eating out in restaurants with friends. Unfortunately, both small businesses have closed.

As many others have said, although you can buy more wheat free products in supermarkets, it's not cheap. My friends now buy wheat-free bread, pizza bases and cakes as part of my birthday and christmas gifts!
  • sainsbury's also do gluten free in some of their sausage ranges the sicilian is very good and not too badly priced. I tend to grab if on special and add to teh freezer

Dawn
    https://www.thyroid-disease.org.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family