PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Funnily enough, I dropped winter coat into dry cleaners this morning, spent a bit of time last night sorting hats, gloves etc - too hot to sleep!
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Youngest DD and I put the wood off cuts from the wood store to some use by making a box to house the pine cones that we had collected. Why are we collecting pine cones? They're natures kindling ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Funnily enough, I dropped winter coat into dry cleaners this morning, spent a bit of time last night sorting hats, gloves etc - too hot to sleep!

Great minds think alike my DDs and my own winter coats were put into the dry cleaners on saturday and I got them yesterday our local chap does a special offer deal for two coats at once, instead of £9.99 each he will do two for £16.00 well worth having them done :j
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fuddle wrote: »
    Youngest DD and I put the wood off cuts from the wood store to some use by making a box to house the pine cones that we had collected. Why are we collecting pine cones? They're natures kindling ;)

Until 7 years ago we live in a cottage 3 miles from our nearest neighbor, we were encircled by woods.We went out collecting cones and wood when ever we took our dogs out. Such was my passion for collecting wood it was a kind of hobby i would make DH stop the car if i saw wood on the side of the road.
    Many times we have come back fro our holidays with cases and dogs on back seat and the boot full of wood.
    Alas now we are in a bungalow that has gas heating. Still can't resist collecting cones by the carrier bag full, such happy days.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • He Who Knows has just processed half a large old cherry tree that a neighbour up the road had come down in a storm. Our wood store of large builders crates is choc-a-block full and we have enough processed wood to last us around 3 years, it's a nice feeling. Jam making season has begun too, currently this year 10 jars of Rhubarb and Ginger and 10 jars of Strawberry and redcurrant more to follow as the fruit ripens. 4 kilos of gooseberries in the freezer and another at least 3 (Haven't weighed them yet) kilos to top and tail this evening to join them, I kilo of loganberries frozen too and the raspberries are just beginning to ripen so raspberry jam and frozen fruit in the offing pretty soon. The blackberry bushes in the garden are covered with more flowers and embryonic fruit than ever before, the apple tree is loaded, the fig tree is loaded, going to be a good autumn I think. We've just got to the end of last years home made cider too and the equipment is ready to go for this years as it starts to be windfall time. I even tried on my new 'Down filled' Padded coat this morning, it fits perfectly so I'm going to be snug when it's cold, great stuff!!!
  • fuddle
    Ah Lyn I'm so envious of all you can produce. One day :D

How does HWK process the wood Lyn? The reason I'm asking is the allotmenteers behind out house have offered us some tree they've chopped. It's in large.sections and DH is wondering how to cut it efficiently as possible. We're going to be tripping over wood in the yard but it's free fuel and we just can't say no.
  • He has a 'work mate' bench which he uses to clamp the wood and if it's small enough diameter he uses a bow saw to cut it into lengths to fit the fire, if it's bigger but sawable he uses the 'Chop Saw' which is electric, if it's bigger than that can manage he has a petrol driven chain saw and if it's a big old trunk that the chain saw won't tackle he has some 'wood grenades' which are heavy duty metal wedges that he whacks into the middle of the big chunk and leaves and the wood gradually splits (with the help of the odd clout with the sledge hammer). If the cords of wood from that are too big (they are wedge shaped) he uses the big axe to split them to the right size. Hard work but worth it!

I did tell you you'd get wood obsessed when you got that wood stove, I can't refuse free wood either, and like Rosie 52 we have been known to come home with the dog (when he was here) on the back seat and the boot full of wood too, once you've got a stove you're wood hooked!!!
  • fuddle
    ... until it arrives in the yard with the odd elderflower on it and I cry in despair! ;):D

Thank you. I think an electric saw will have to be sought. He's only got a wood saw and my dad's old hack saw. We're so not equipped for processing wood. Shame on me for not realising.
  • We're old dogs petal and He Who Knows is a 'toolaholic'!!!
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I thought it was just us!!

My OH has just brought the dogs back from walkies and rushed off with his van and wheelbarrow. He saw some environment people cutting trees down and has trotted off to fetch the logs. We also buy a few bags of emergency coal during the summer "in case".

We have been rather lucky. My OH was out of work for a while, but is now working at a place where there is plenty of wood "for the skips". Most nights he comes home with lengths or pallets in the van. (With company permission of course). I find it very comforting, even if we are in a heatwave.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback