B & Q Diamond Card not as good as I'd thought

I have only recently passed 60 and therefore qualified for a diamond card. I had thought that any purchases that I made using the card on a Wednesday would qualify for the discount. It seems that the discount is only applicable on items being sold for their full price. any item in a sale or on any sort of offer is excluded.

Comments

• JustLikeThat
    JustLikeThat Posts: 169 Forumite
    No discount on any kitchen or bathroom items either. I went in with a list yesterday and was disappointed. I don't know if this is a new condition with the new card - we had an old one for many years.
  • There was never supposed to be discount on kitchen or bathroom and already discounted items, but the tills weren't smart enough so staff could get away with letting it through. Now the tills have been updated they can tell and stop the discount being applied.
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Actually B&Q are offering a lot of items with a huge discount and the card still takes 10% off. I purchased 16.00 worth of stuff only 1 item was at full price but I got 10% off the whole bill.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anything already discounted doesn't get the 10% discount. Use B &Q most weeks on a Wednesday and this has been the case for at least the last twelve months. Surprised when visiting a few weeks ago and the assistant took my original card of 9 years off me and issued a new card as hadn't heard of the new scheme. Also bought a new sink and taps which, as already posted, didn't get the discount. To be honest I often find Wickes are cheaper than B &Q without extra discount.
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    What do you mean by discounted? Most of my items were 'sale' I suppose. What is the difference?

Because I did get 10% off total bill which I can scan and prove.
  • Reduced to clear items would still get the discount. Items with 15% off or 3 for £10, for example, would have not have the discount taken off on top.
  • Thing that naffs me off about it is the silly Wednesday rule,for instance will all the tills be clogged up at 9am on a Tuesday/2.30 on a thursday? with old codgers trying to blag an extra 10% off,some people may NEVER be able to go on a Wednesday !I dont know of any other store or reward card that only operates just one day a week, this has had the opposite effect with me for small purchases , if I cant go on a Wednesday I shop at another place
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    The best way to get the sort of stuff B&Q sell at a discount is to go to Toolstation or Screwfix instead.

I think the stuff in the garden centre isn't covered by the Diamond card either but could be wrong.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    When I worked for them any company price reductions or offers DID qualify for diamond discount, store mark downs do not qualify for extra discount. Kitchen, bathroom and bedroom stuff was suposed to be excluded but was hit and miss. The self scan checkouts used to accept diamond discount 7 days a week, they were struggling to find a fix for it!

For a good number of years staff discount was 20% and any other card gave 10%. When you swiped a discount card and the magnetic strip was damaged it defaulted to 10% discount, so a closely guarded secret within the business was that ANY plastic card whatsoever swiped after the discount button was pressed gave 10% off. We made sure checkout staff did not know this!!
  • letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We filled up one of those large trolleys with quite a bit of bathroom stuff took about 30 mins choosing cost about £350 got to checkout only to be told can't use Diamond card, no warning. I just left it all there at the check out and left in frustration, went elsewhere and got it all cheaper
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport