Hugglemonster's homemade happiness diary

Comments

• hugglemonster
    hugglemonster Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi Glenda, ah don't worry his anger is more about him realising his own overspending it's not really directed at me. I just choose to ignore him and wait until he sorts himself out !!!55357;!!!56898;

He is lovely really but I do have to remind him sometimes that I'm his wife not his mother and he's equally responsible for the household - we have a finite budget!

H x
  • hugglemonster
    Good morning, I've just spoken to the bank r.e. a mortgage the maximum they can lend is 90% which based on the approx value of our house is £94500, our current mortgage balance is £96180.75 so not far off but could be better. The valuation of the property is a bit weird, on Z**pla it's saying £136,00 but there's no way it would be valued at that so when we're ready we'll get a valuation from an estate agent I think.

Realistically we could be there by the new year so it's worth continuing to hit the debt in the mean time and be ready to start after Xmas. It would be great to get on a better interest rate and lower the monthly payments too.

Keep plodding on!

Small spend yesterday of a couple of presents ready for 2 sister in laws birthdays this month, I need to get some grow bags as the tomato plants are ready to be transferred. It was lovely yesterday to pick the broad beans fresh from the garden and the garlic is nearly ready too.

Right time for a cuppa and some more surveys. H x
  • Hi H,

I can relate with the overspending :)

Fingers crossed that you can get a better mortgage rate xx
  • hugglemonster
    Well I'm sitting here a bit stunned, I've just had a letter from HMRC to say I'm owed a refund of £1160.80! I've requested it online and should be paid within 5 working days.

Now the a slight quandary - do I show dh the letter and risk him thinking of many things to use the money for although I would say to him we need to reduce overdraft, pay for the plasterer and leave the rest, or do I not come clean and use the majority to pay the bulk of the credit card that he doesn't know about and pay the plasterer?

I don't like lying but he never checks the bank statements online so he wouldn't know!

Hmm decisions, H x
  • It wouldn't technically be lying, just bending the truth a bit :)

I'd pay the plasterer and reduce the overdraft if it was me. xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Pay the CC & give yourself peace of mind.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • hugglemonster
    edited 10 July 2018 at 12:32PM
    Morning all, an unexpected couple of days at home as unfortunately the car has developed a fault but the garage can't fit me in until Thursday. Breakdown came out on Saturday morning but couldn't find anything on computer system and said should be OK to drive until Thurs but last night when I was nearly home another engine light came on! Hoping it's nothing major as I really would like the tax money to be used wisely.

I have told dh about the money and although he mentioned about carpet on the stairs (we've had no carpet for years but I'm not paying for that until upstairs is finished) he did agree to reduce overdraft. He hasn't mentioned it since though so I think I will put a lump sum on credit card and reduce a bit of the overdraft too - after I find out what's happening with the car.

I have caught up with a few surveys this morning, I was due to go and see a business adviser tomorrow r.e the business but now can't get there - there is a train but I can't afford it at present.

So plans for today:
    * Vacuum throughout house - done
    * Make thai chicken cakes - done
    * Get through ironing mountain
    * Go for a run
    * Start developing volunteer pack for work and posters
    * Send report for meeting I can't get to tomorrow
    * Update banking

H x
  • hugglemonster
    Another day, another bit nearer to debt freedom although I'm not in an entirely positively frame of mind today - feel a bit blah! I am trying to counteract it though.

I didn't manage all my list yesterday so need to make sure I do the report (meeting is not until this evening) and some the posters for translation before sharing/printing plus start on the volunteer pack. I also need to make roast tomato soup and foccacia for tea.

Quite a few surveys completed this morning and a small payout requested, no sign of the tax rebate hopefully should be tomorrow.

I need to make a list of all the planned expenditure for the next couple of months to make sure we don't forget:
    * DD new school uniform - school has completely changed the uniform so everything needed, blazer, shirts, trousers, tie, shoes.
    * DD summer shoes, check summer clothes
    * DS shoes and trainers
    * DS room plastered (will only do if can afford it)
    * Car to have service and MOT - we pay a service charge so should be free, I'll book it in when I take car to garage tomorrow.
    * DS birthday

Also to be aware of in the near future:
    * Pay off rest of ds school trip by Nov '18 - £200
    * DD birthday November
    * We are having a small break to Denmark in Feb 2019, the hotel has been booked but don't need to pay until we're there but the breakdown is - £600 hotel, £250 flights if we book soon, spending money, kids passports @ £49 each, travel insurance.
    * Xmas - I currently have over £200 saved in £2 coins to go towards this, I would rather have a cheap Xmas and look forward to our break.

I think I need to sit with dh and show him so he realises that we can't just go month to month and pay for things as they come up but plan and be ready for them.

Right lunch time then start on volunteer pack.

H x
  • hugglemonster
    edited 12 July 2018 at 8:53PM
    Ah so the money comes in one hand, cleared in the bank today, and out the other as car is going to cost £450!! I don't get it back until at least Tuesday so working from home for a few days. One day we will actually be able to have some money for ourselves. Surprisingly I'm not too despondent about it as I'm glad it was there and not have to dig around for pennies, anyway yesterday I started writing a calendar of all the things that need to be paid as listed above and I've allocated a month for them.

July pay - DD summer clothes/shoes budget £100, DS shoes/trainers budget £50, Flights £250, travel ins not much.

August - DD school uniform £100, DS birthday £75, Home insurance - planning to pay in full, current quote £85-100, Holiday £100.

September - Plasterer £200, Hols £100

October - DS trip final balance £200, Hols £100

November - DD birthday £75, Kids passports £98, Hols £100

December - Xmas, Hols £100

January - Hols £100

February - Holiday.

I'm still planning on paying off the credit card and also reducing the overdraft each month, need to stop messing around and hit it hard. I need to be in a better position by the new year!

Still have quite a bit of food from this week's menu so a couple of extra days not to buy for, chicken and fish out of freezer to make fishfingers/chicken gojouns for tomorrow evening.

H x
  • hugglemonster
    Morning all, day off today so had a catch up with a friend and then got a couple of bits to go with tea. I have made myself feel better by paying £80 off the credit card so this leaves £1600, I want to pay it off by January which means I need to pay £267 a month to clear it - I'm sure this can be achieved and I really want it to be gone before we remortgage.

As the statement date is in the middle of the month my record will be across the same period, next statement is 16th July so my first goal is:

16th July - 15th August £0/£267

Back later, H x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family