PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Third week

Foods in red I cannot eat yet as I am on a special diet for 6 weeks

Foods in the freezer past the bb date

1 loaf of bread
    1 part used loaf of cheesy bread
    1 packet of rolls
    Home made vegetable curry
    Home made quorn curry
    chopped ginger
    [STRIKE]green beans[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]1 part used gluten free loaf[/STRIKE]

In my fridge

lime juice
    lemon juice
    mayonnaise
    alpro desserts
    [STRIKE]gruyere cheese[/STRIKE]

In my cupboards

tarka dall
    stuffing mix
    2 tubs golden breadcumbs - one still unopened
    10 small boxes of raisins
    peanut butter
    almond flour
    millet
    walnuts
    marmite
    peppermint and nettle tea
    flax seeds

Total money spent on groceries this month is £25.20

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    A friend was round Saturday so had a takeaway with him was a meal for 2 with kormas, I kept all the sauce and today made pork chops, potatoes and some YS chicken salad (shocking how big the package is yet it could just about fit in a mug), lunch was some tomato pasta I got YS and YS prawns which I used with my leftover korma sauce and some powdered jelly I am trying to get rid of.

Supper was the toppings off a YS pizza as it was burned (it was pre cooked when I got it) and chucked the pizza out.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    in the last couple of days:

out:
    soda bread cob
    turkey meat
    turkey stock
    gammon stock
    frozen spinach
    frozen carrot & swede mash
    lamb mince
    frozen strawberries, sliced banana and 2 ancient frubes
    2 chicken breasts
    small sliced loaf

All got made into turkey & spinach risotto, 4 servings gammon & lentil soup for lunches this week, shepherds pie and a berry smoothie. Chicken kebabs tonight.

in:
    YS diced carrot & swede

I reckon the big (1.8m high) freezer is now down to about 50%. It is so easy to find things now.

I am going to make naans with excess yogurt to go with dinner but I expect I will make extra and freeze some.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Portion of chicken casserole and some haggis coming out of the freezer later. Not expecting to add anything to freezer or stores today
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2017 at 5:53PM
    Hello,

Not posted for a couple of days so a catch-up:-

Created recipes from the fridge freezer had = 6 ( One of these contained foraged blackberries from season 2015).

Food products used up = 8.

Since my first post (14/1/2017) the amount spent on food grocery items = £2.82. However, an online grocery delivery is due tomorrow.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Bit of a turbo charge this weekend for my stock usage with some friends coming for dinner. I did try to convince them to take home a party bag with other goodies from my stocks but sadly they would not go for it :D

So I took out of the freezer some fish pie mix, a large piece of haddock some prawns and smoked salmon bits, spinach, potatoes green beans and cheese from store cupboard obviously made a fish pie with this then had a pavlova using up some fruit and cream I had in (HM meringue).

Normally when I have people for dinner I just head straight for Sainsburys or M+S and spend a small fortune this time it was almost exclusively from the stock bar the veg cream and some extra fruit which totalled about 6 quid.

Today Ive grabbed out some bubble and squeak and will likely have that with some beans
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 January 2017 at 3:08PM
    Just raided my storecupboard to help a friend in need moving into first flat with nothing. Not even a fridge at the moment. And no budget.

But we've sourced a microwave, single plate and slow cooker.

So lots of bits gone ( she was quite happy with OOD so I gave up my last pack of soup mixture - 2004:D. ) It hasn't poisoned me yet and I opened the 2nd to last about a week ago.

Also lots of extra kitchen stuff I always keep JIK whenever I buy something new:rotfl: So scales, chopping board, Tupperware (LOTS) and I decanted some herbs, spices etc that will liven up bland meals.

Can't wait until she gets a freezer:j

It really makes me appreciate how lucky I am that I am on this board because I want to be, not because I have to make every penny squeal.

Right. Off to climb lots of stairs to her flat. More exercise for me. I'll earn my curry tonight (home made obviously!)
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Nothing out - but also importantly, nothing in.

Using the meatballs I got out yesterday with fresh and tinned.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • Small joint of beef out yesterday & sausages today, well in fact 2 packets of sausages so some left for the kids tea tomorrow I think.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Used up 2 lemons that have been in the fridge since early December to make lemon cake with more lemon and less sugar than the recipe said. Worked fine in a loaf tin lined with paper liner (I know this because I took some for my lunch today!). I invited a neighbour's daughter to come and make cordial with me next Friday so the frozen elderflowers and more lemons will get used. Just deliberating whether to add vodka to some but I might wait until Spring and just make cordial for now (some to the neighbour, some for us and some for DS, who loves it!)

Out of the freezer - large slice of frozen turkey, 2 chicken thighs, pack of butter and a bag of last summer's homegrown runner beans. Nothing in.

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure