CSD alternatives & transaction charges

My partner & I have accounts with Charles Stanley Direct and Interactive Investor. CSD have just announced a 40% increase in charges so I'm now looking for an alternative platform. We have 100K in 4 passive funds with CSD and over 200K in II. I don't trade very often and I'm happy with II but I don't want to put all our investments on one platform.

I've been looking at Iweb fees and they mention a "Transaction charge" of 0.5% in addition to their £5 dealing costs. Do all platforms have this charge? There's no mention of this in II's charges.... Or is this just another hidden charge that investors don't see?

Any recommendations for any other flat fee platforms?

Many thanks
No longer trainee :o
Retired in 2012 (54) :)
State pension due 2024 (66) :(

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Plenty of discussion about other platforms in the main CSD fee hike thread here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5880383
  • masonic wrote: »
    Plenty of discussion about other platforms in the main CSD fee hike thread here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5880383

Thanks Masonic, I've been following the thread but didn't want to hijack it with my query about transaction charges.
  • masonic
    I've been looking at Iweb fees and they mention a "Transaction charge" of 0.5% in addition to their £5 dealing costs. Do all platforms have this charge? There's no mention of this in II's charges.... Or is this just another hidden charge that investors don't see?
    I use II and iWeb and iWeb does not have a 0.5% charge in addition to the £5 dealing costs (perhaps you're referring to stamp duty on shares and investment trusts, which is applicable to all platforms).
  • masonic wrote: »
    I use II and iWeb and iWeb does not have a 0.5% charge in addition to the £5 dealing costs (perhaps you're referring to stamp duty on shares and investment trusts, which is applicable to all platforms).

Thanks again, it must be a hidden charge within the fund.

I was looking at the fund buying example (Farouk) at https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/PDFs/CostsAndCharges.pdf
  • masonic
    edited 11 August 2018 at 9:16AM
    Thanks again, it must be a hidden charge within the fund.

I was looking at the fund buying example (Farouk) at https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/PDFs/CostsAndCharges.pdf
    Stamp duty is not a hidden charge, it's a Government tax. It doesn't apply to ETFs or open ended funds.

In the case of Farouk, iWeb is using a regulatory figure of 0.5% to represent the average cost across the industry. It is a bit of a nonsense figure because it is not charged to the investor, but it is part of the cost of running the fund and is included in the overall fund performance. It is therefore diluted between all holders of the fund and the actual percentage could be more or less than 0.5% depending on how actively traded the fund is.

They don't mention the big hidden cost in actively managed funds and that's the cost of portfolio turnover - when underlying investments are bought and sold by the fund manager. All in all, the hidden costs can add up to as much as 5% per year, but as these costs are deducted from fund performance they will tend to cause the fund to underperform over the long term if they are higher.
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What's your views on Interactive Investor compared to Charles Stanley ? Customer Service , using the platform etc ?
  • Aletank wrote: »
    What's your views on Interactive Investor compared to Charles Stanley ? Customer Service , using the platform etc ?

I'm quite happy with Interactive Investor. That said, as a buy & hold investor, I only do around 10 transactions a year.
    Both platforms have an easy to use web interface. However, I prefer II's fixed fee structure and the fact that you can roll up your quarterly charges to have commission free transactions to re-balance your portfolio.

Charles Stanley's charges were at £250 per year on our £100K investments (0.25%). The increase fees would take the charges to £350.
    Interactive charges are £90 per year on our £200K investments and this allows 9 commission free trades per year. Any further trades are charged at £10.

II have had a number of bad reviews in the past and have recently merged with TD direct. However, I've had no problems with either platform.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business