Can’t afford to travel to hospital appointments

I’m unable to walk very far lately and at times, cannot walk at all. The doctors are still trying to work out what the problem is. I still have a lot more tests to go through. Problem is, I live in a very rural area. There is no public transport at all. Even if there was, I would be unable to use it. I have no family or friends who can drive me to all these appointments.

A taxi to the hospital would cost about £75 each way. I could never afford even one appointment at that price. There is a rural transport service but they don’t go out of the local area so they can’t help. Does anyone know what I can do? I’m getting desperate and I really need to get to these appointments.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    You could contact PALS at the hospital and ask what patient transport is available. I have regular treatment and there are patients being dropped off and picked up, some from quite far away. It's not ideal as they do it on a fixed route so you can be travelling for a long time, and be waiting after appointments.

Some hospitals also have a volunteer scheme for patients to be given lifts.

As I said, I think PALS would be the people to ask - google it and your hospital trust.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ames wrote: »
    As I said, I think PALS would be the people to ask - google it and your hospital trust.

I’m in Northern Ireland and we don’t have PALS here. I did ring the hospital and ask but the lady just said it’s not up to them to help and that I’d have to find my own way.

I know there is a patient transport scheme but she said it is only for people who are completely immobile and need medical support whilst travelling.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    some rural areas have volunteer drivers who do trips just for the fuel money and a donation to a local charity. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/community-transport

http://www.volunteernow.co.uk/volunteering/volunteer-driving
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Red Cross?? I know they used to assist with transport for patients with mobility issues
    http://www.nicva.org/organisation/british-red-cross-ni-belfast
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ask at your GP surgery?

I've just done a google because what you've been told seems downright wrong. Did you find this? Will your GP confirm that you meet the criteria?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    If you genuinely have no friends or family who can drive and don't qualify for patient transfer, could you perhaps take a taxi from your home to the nearest point where you can access public transport rather than all the way to the hospital? That would be a lot less than £75 each way surely.

Or could you join a local Facebook page and ask for volunteers to drive you in return for petrol money. Or speak to the local church and ask if they would ask for volunteers. My experience of Northern Ireland is that there is great community spirit and most people are happy to help out someone in need so I'd be surprised if you can't find someone to help with at least some of these trips.

Longer term if this is a chronic condition you may need to move closer to transport links or the hospital however.
  • Nicki wrote: »
    If you genuinely have no friends or family who can drive and don't qualify for patient transfer, could you perhaps take a taxi from your home to the nearest point where you can access public transport rather than all the way to the hospital? That would be a lot less than £75 each way surely.

Or could you join a local Facebook page and ask for volunteers to drive you in return for petrol money. Or speak to the local church and ask if they would ask for volunteers. My experience of Northern Ireland is that there is great community spirit and most people are happy to help out someone in need so I'd be surprised if you can't find someone to help with at least some of these trips.

Longer term if this is a chronic condition you may need to move closer to transport links or the hospital however.

But it seems so wrong that she's been told by hospital staff that it's not their problem how she gets there. (How rude!!). I don't know if or how the NHS differs in N.I. but here on the mainland the NHS stump up for all manner of stupid things that are supposedly essential for the patient's wellbeing (horse riding lessons, computers, etc etc). If she's having to pay £75 to get there she should bill them for it.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn’t be able to use buses/trains even if I lived closer to public transport. I also have ASD and mental health problems so I’m not good at being chatty with people or on Facebook etc. I’m not religious so I don’t think a church would want to help and also I’d be nervous about traveling with strangers. The volunteer driver scheme here only covers the local area, not as far as the hospital.

The problem with the patient transport service is that it says I would have to be unable to travel by any other method. That isn’t true for me. I would be physically able to travel by taxi. I just can’t afford it.

I’ll email the Red Cross and ask them.
  • ripplyuk wrote: »
    The problem with the patient transport service is that it says I would have to be unable to travel by any other method. That isn!!!8217;t true for me. I would be physically able to travel by taxi. I just can!!!8217;t afford it.

From the patient transport service website:
    This reason could be that you are immobile and unable to utilise public transport, or as a result of your treatment.

I would interpret that as not being able to go by bus or train. Ask your GP, you've got nothing to lose. They can only say no :)

Patients can't be expected to pay £75 each time they need a hospital appointment, that's ridiculous. See what your doctor says.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Just for clarity, here's a link to the general definition of public transport. It's things like buses, trains, ferries, trams, coaches, airlines etc. I'm pretty sure taxis don't count as public transport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport
    Public transport (also known as public transportation, public transit, or mass transit) is transport of passengers by group travel systems available for use by the general public, typically managed on a schedule, operated on established routes,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure