PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• roo-dee
    roo-dee Posts: 66 Forumite
    lantanna wrote: »
    Me 2 I def can see it’s keeping me under control!

It really does, if it wasn't on my list today it wasn't getting in the trolley, was a good feeling walking out as i would see something and throw it in just in case. I would normally spend double that for one week never mind two weeks :D
    January 2019 Grocery challenge £93.41 /£240
    2019 savings £48.69/£3000
    Loose 42lbs in 2019 2.5/42
  • roo-dee
    roo-dee Posts: 66 Forumite
    First shop in over a week and spent £9.22, I picked up some of the offers at Lid! – cauli 0.69, kale 0.49, ground coffee 1.59 = £2.77. Then on to S@insbugs (it’s the only supermarket around here that sells loose F&V) leeks 0.68, carrots 0.26, sweet potatoes 1.00, brussel sprouts 0.36, spring onions 0.65, sea salt 1.85, crusty baton 0.45, blackcurrant squash 1.20 = £6.45

I’m still in use up mode so have only planned Sun–Wed meals so far =
    Prawn & pea risotto, kale salad
    Turkey, leek & sweetcorn pie, brussel sprouts
    Tuna fishcakes, coleslaw & salad
    Cauliflower & sweet potato curry, naan and salad

OOh the pie sounds lovely, may have to add that in to my next food plan ;)
    January 2019 Grocery challenge £93.41 /£240
    2019 savings £48.69/£3000
    Loose 42lbs in 2019 2.5/42
  • Definitely helps sticking to a meal plan and budget.
    Everyone is doing really well.
    £11.05 spent in Tesco on a newspaper, green beans, passata, eggs,cold meat, beef stock pots, toilet gel and Muller choc pots
  • Not managed any nsd but that's ok as l hope l'm laying the foundations for low spend or nsd days in the rest of the month. Final spends of £30 on meat,fish and pheasant instead of chicken lol. Should see us till the end of the month and beyond in some cases.
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Check out Poundland if you have one near you. You can normally find the multi pack pop corn in there. We always take if for my GS's when we take them to cinema

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out before we go next time. 😀
  • First spend for this month, after living out of freezer and store-cupboard since food purchases at Christmas.
    Total cost spent £33.19 for food for meals planned for next week.
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Right... another £4.80 spent so my total for the month is £5.80/£161.20. I bought a few bits of veg and some wee tins of heinz baked beans (3 for £1 in poundland). Managed to get out of poundland without buying crisps or sweets so that is a major win for me! Still need some fruit for the week ahead but can last till at least monday. Could also do with some kind of salad leaves / lettuce but it appears everyone is on a health kick so it is hard to come buy near me! :rotfl: Hopefully I'll find some in stock when I buy my fruit!
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • Didn't end up doing full shop yesterday (the first day of my week for budget purposes) as was invited out for the day. Did nip into shop for a few picnic bits & things I needed for tea & spent £9.17. Spent this morning doing a full food audit, meal plan & shopping list. Didn't need much as loads of freezer stuff in. Sent DH to do shop &, even though he added a couple of small YS items, he spent £24.89. That makes my weekly balance £34.06 of £50, leaving £15.94 for any extra bits needed between now & next Thursday. Pretty pleased with that! Also, had some eggs & ham joint to use up so currently got two quiches in the oven ready for lunch tomorrow & freezer stocks.

Sure my budget will have to increase once my stocks run down, but hopefully will have made some savings by then ready to re-stock when I see bargains.

Loving the challenge so far!
  • Needed to shop for 'normal' things for the first time since before Christmas - milk, butter, bread, eggs, also fruit, salad stuff, green veg (the healthy eating has gone out the window recently!). Add in some cat litter and some screen wash, and the total was £42, which should last a week. We have visitors with us for another week, so our normal 2 is currently 5 - I'm happy with that.

I did not buy any cake, biscuits, sweets, chocolates, or alcohol - and looking at the cupboards I doubt if I will ever need to buy any of that sort of thing ever again!!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Not to bad for first week £41.89/£250 managed to make some meals to go in the freezer for the OH as well so pleased. Definitely think it helped knowing i had a budget to stick to when I was shopping. Did not buy lots of things as kept to my list and thinking I don't really need it.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    #119 12K in 2019 Challenge = £1949.89/£12,000 =16%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family