Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• gunner786
    gunner786 Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Anyone have a number for virgin outbound? Havent had a call back yet im thinking they might not have my mobile number will call them using a random.excuse
  • ewokuk
    ewokuk Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 July 2017 at 6:27PM
    I just rang to see if they would offer me anything half decent. Currently paying £42.67 for 'Fun TV', vivid 100, talk weekends. I told them I wanted the £32 'Player Bundle' deal they are offering new customers (same as my current package but reduced tv) and was told the best they could do was £42! I asked what they could do if I dropped the TV completely, best they would offer was £38, thats for 100mb and talk weekends! She said she would text me those details and if I wanted it i could just reply yes, or could ring them back to talk again. Got no text at all.

I will ring back Monday and tell them to cancel it, their service sucks anyway, had several outages in the last year, one lasting several days, and every time you need an engineer it takes them a WEEK to send one out (and that's in london)!!! So you have no phone/bb/tv for an entire week. They are going to have to offer me a MUCH better deal than the crap they offered if they want me to stay. Like MLE1 above, I would take £20 for 200mb and phone and drop the tv but I doubt they will offer that.
  • MLE1
    MLE1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    ewokuk wrote: »
    I just rang to see if they would offer me anything half decent. Currently paying £42.67 for 'Fun TV', vivid 100, talk weekends. I told them I wanted the £32 'Player Bundle' deal they are offering new customers (same as my current package but reduced tv) and was told the best they could do was £42! I asked what they could do if I dropped the TV completely, best they would offer was £38, thats for 100mb and talk weekends! She said she would text me those details and if I wanted it i could just reply yes, or could ring them back to talk again. Got no text at all.

I will ring back Monday and tell them to cancel it, their service sucks anyway, had several outages in the last year, one lasting several days, and every time you need an engineer it takes them a WEEK to send one out (and that's in london)!!! So you have no phone/bb/tv for an entire week. They are going to have to offer me a MUCH better deal than the crap they offered if they want me to stay. Like MLE1 above, I would take £20 for 200mb and phone and drop the tv but I doubt they will offer that.

But that £20 is without line rental??
  • ewokuk
    edited 9 July 2017 at 8:35PM
    MLE1 wrote: »
    But that £20 is without line rental??

aha not as good as i thought then :doh:

I would probably expect closer to 30 for that inc line rent for me to by happy with it. if you called to cancel and got offered that straight away, i dont think it was disconnections you were talking to, just the normal people that cant offer the best deals.
  • portchieboy
    portchieboy Posts: 616 Forumite
    Superfibre 70
    170 Channels (Fun?)
    Evening and weekends
    5 yr old box (record 2, watch 1)

I have been with VM ?10+ years, and am paying £68 per month. I think now, looking at this, it is far too much.

Anyone else on a similar package please.

Cancelled, at which time I was offered £58, all details as above. Refused, and gave notice.

Call back today, and told them I wanted the new customer deal. So, have got Mix TV, new V6 box (yippee), 150 Mbps BB, Eve and W/e phone, new generation router.....£41.60pm.

Maybe I could have held out, but I am away for a few weeks, so didn't want to play chicken!

Saving £27 pm, HAPPY.
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
  • bioboybill
    bioboybill Posts: 3,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I phoned about a week ago as my deal had run out. Told them I wanted to cancel, as was too expensive. Got offered some discount that I wasn't happy with, so asked to be put on 30 days notice. The lady said she would email me to confirm the 30 days notice straight away. A week later and still no email or phone call back. When I did this about 15 months ago I got a call back after a few days, so maybe this time they won't bother? I will give it another few days then phone them to ask if the cancellation was even put in.
  • dazzaofdagenham
    dazzaofdagenham Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ok advice please

I'm on the upto 150 Mbps ( broadband only ) package....with a ten pounds per month discount, so I'm paying 28.75 per month.

Min term is up in about 6 weeks and I'll also lose the tenner a month discount....now I'm on the understanding the 150mbps package I'm on doesn't exist anymore.

Anyone help with what I should be aiming for ?

I'd be happy to drop down to the 100mbps if with a discount I can get monthly cost below 20 pounds per month

Phoned today and asked if my rolling discount of £10 could be extended....basically the answer was no.

Currently paying 28.75 ( inc discount ) and when that ends in a couple of weeks time I would be paying 38.75

Gentleman on phoned said he could reduce my plan to 30 pounds a month...at which point I asked him to take my 30 days notice.

See what happens from here
  • ewokuk
    edited 18 July 2017 at 8:47PM
    ok rang them just now and gave them the 30 day notice. They are offering new customers player tv, vivid 100 and talk weekend for £32 for 12 months, the best they would offer me for the same thing is £42. I am not going to be fleeced simply because I am not a new customer, so unless disconnections come back with an offer and that is at least equivalent to what new customers can get, then I will be off.

*update*
    Nice, they apparently tried to call me at home yesterday....twice. The first time they were told to ring my mobile since I was at work. They never did. They rang back again later and was once again told I was not in because I was at work, this time they were meant to ring back at 6.30....and they never did. Entire day today and they have still not attempted to call back again. Good company, quality service, even from the team responsible for trying to retain customers :naughty:.
  • bioboybill
    edited 21 July 2017 at 8:42AM
    17 days since putting my 30 days notice in and still no call back from Virgin. Have always had callbacks within a few days before, so thought I'd better actually look round and see what I can get. There are some decent enough deals around for new customers with Sky and BT, but unfortunately when I've checked I can't get any decent speed on my broadband anywhere else and there are no plans to bring it to where I live. A check showed that the best I could get elsewhere was up to 17Mb/sec. As I'm not near an exchange predicted speeds are below 5Mb/sec.

Based on that I rang back yesterday and negotiated a deal that I'm not that delirious about but is better than the £74 I'm about to be paying now my discounts are ending.

Mix TV, Vivid 100 broadband and Talk Weekends. For £49 with a one off discount of £30 the first month (so works out £46.50/mth over 12 months). They will also swap my Tivo and hub for latest hub and V6 box. Not as good as for new customers, but better than nothing. I know I could get better from outbound retentions, but they weren't calling.

The kick in the nuts was still to come though. As the woman was putting the deal through on my account she made some kind of !!!! up. Next thing I knew my TV service showed I had been disconnected from Virgin, quickly followed by my broadband. Fortunately my phone stayed on and I was able to tell the woman that she had accidentally disconnected me. Of course she said she hadn't done anything (obviously she had). She then said she would get me reconnected "within 3 days". I phoned back half an hour later and spoke to technical services to see if they could sort it but to no avail. The woman has taken my mobile number and promised to call me this morning. I'm not holding my breath and I'm still disconnected!
  • bioboybill
    Just a quick update. I have now spotted that they charged me a disconnection fee of £38.50 last night just to add insult to injury!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback