Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Comments

• Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    vanilla8 wrote: »
    Stuie I wouldn't fancy it! If you decide to stay one night in Bakersfield the Padre hotel is lovely!
    We stayed at the Padre as a stop off from San Francisco to Yosemite and it was really nice. We were lucky it was Bakersfield's Christmas parade the night we stayed which was lovely to watch all the decorate floats amongst the locals.
    Thank you all who post.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your help and your time and apologies for missing the pool information

I get that its a complete minefield and one mans meat is another mans poison - Now I know pools wont be functional , a nice pool area is kind of out of the question unless its an indoor I guess

I have my dates , just need to tie the hotel up - I think there will be lots of time on trip advisor the next few days !

Platinum has a year round indoor/outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Quick question(s)...

I was being a bit naughty and was looking at Expedia for June next year, to get a general idea, and came across something re. the flights, that said that they now charge to put luggage in the hold :eek:
    The prices were £45 for the first, and £65(ish) for the second?
    When the fudge did that happen?

So, not only do airline charge to watch films, charge for seat allocation, and when you get there, there are rip off resort fees & car parking charges. You now have to factor in suitcase charges.....

Going to Vegas is getting far too expensive.....:(
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Dontone, some of the cheaper charter type airlines have been doing this for a few years but I have noticed the major schedule airlines such as BA, AA, KLM, Air France to name a few have been offering the basic fares for a few months. It is only once you click through the search results to purchase it will give you the option to add bags or purchase the normal 'economy' fare that includes luggage.

The airlines state it is to give the passenger a better choice.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes. I was looking at flights with Virgin earlier, then now have three levels of economy flights. Ridiculous.

On a lighter note, there have been reports that Wynn are removing all parking charges for residents and other customers. I don!!!8217;t know the details, but I am glad that if we stay there again we won!!!8217;t get a $28/night charge for parking there.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    stevie11 wrote: »
    Dontone, some of the cheaper charter type airlines have been doing this for a few years but I have noticed the major schedule airlines such as BA, AA, KLM, Air France to name a few have been offering the basic fares for a few months. It is only once you click through the search results to purchase it will give you the option to add bags or purchase the normal 'economy' fare that includes luggage.

The airlines state it is to give the passenger a better choice.
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    Yes. I was looking at flights with Virgin earlier, then now have three levels of economy flights. Ridiculous.

On a lighter note, there have been reports that Wynn are removing all parking charges for residents and other customers. I don!!!8217;t know the details, but I am glad that if we stay there again we won!!!8217;t get a $28/night charge for parking there.

Well, I must say that I got a whiff of bullpoo when I read that reason.
    Outrageous!! Anything to maximise the amount of cash they can get out of us (I know that some of the smaller airlines do it, but the big companies.....sheesh!!)
    They will be charging for wear and tear that your bum causes on the seats next.
    The car parking charges I don't get, it's like the hotels are doing their best to keep people away, instead of encouraging them to spend their money in there. I hope that if the Wynn goes ahead with doing away with the charges, then others will follow suit. If you stay for 2 weeks, and have a car, $10 a day adds up to quite a bit.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • stevie11 wrote: »
    Efes, good advice by photome and dontone. Planning a first trip to LV can be overwhelming with all the choice and decisions. Some hotels open their pools or Part of their pools in Winter but even then with the weather being so variable may have to close for the day on occasions. I have spent some quality time around pools in Dec and Jan even going for a quick swim.

Hotel wise decide when you want to go and what your budget is then search for hotels and what facilities they have that interest you. The nearer to the end of March you are more likely to get better weather and more pools will be opened.

LV has so many conventions and events going on during the year that these can impact significantly on price and availability so worth considering when deciding on your dates. Do some dummy bookings on flight and hotel web sites to come up with comparison of costs at the different dates you are looking at.

A couple of more tips, if you are thinking of organising the trip yourself note many of the airlines are now quoting headline fares that do not include hold luggage, this can add anything from £60 to approx £100 per person for a return trip. Also resort fees at the hotels are anything up to $50 a night on top of your hotel rate. Car parking can add another $15 a night.

If booking through a tour operator you may get a good deal from time to time, check out BA holidays. You will probably still have the extras to pay plus you don't have the flexibility if you want to change hotels.

Well , after blinding ourselves with hotel after hotel and using using earth and street map, our booking is made

We are travelling late feb as this was easier for my companion to organise with work and child care

We are staying at the new york new york - I am sure some will love it and some will hate it , however it came down to location and also my friends want of a "theme hotel"

We are travelling direct with Virgin and managed to get a 5 day deal for £500 so we are more then happy with that

I liked the look of the mirage but it didnt sing to her so we took the mid range option
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    U got a 5 night deal in the NYNY & direct flight (inc luggage) with Virgin for £500 each in Feb ????
    If so, that's a dam good price, and handy info for me!!
    I need to arrange a stag bash to Vegas in 2020 in Feb, so having a rough idea on cost helps!
  • We havent added a bag for the hold , the tour op told us we could do this when we check in

We are only going to take one between the two and its to bring things back really

This was 4 nights so 5 days - There are some great deals in Feb
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    We havent added a bag for the hold , the tour op told us we could do this when we check in

We are only going to take one between the two and its to bring things back really

This was 4 nights so 5 days - There are some great deals in Feb

As Stuie says, £500 for total trip is a good price.
    I doubt though that resort fees will be included in that price, so this will need to be paid at check in.The fee is nearly $40 per night, so possible you may have an extra £120 to pay for a 4 night stay.

Also had a quick look on Virgin site for feb flights, and you can get direct from London for £349.96.That is their cheapest flight, economy light.That doesn’t include seat choices, or hold baggage.

Normally, with their new system to increase to the next economy level, which includes picking of your seats, and a 23kg bag for each passenger, it costs quite a bit more.But I noticed that for flights around your time, its only £5 more for the economy classic over the economy light.

In other words, if you wait until you get to the airport to pay for a bag to go in the hold, you will pay a lot more for it.Also you would have to pay to choose your seats,But obviously if you leave it until you are at check in you wont have a choice.

I think it might be worth asking your reaves agent how much to upgrade your flight booking to classic from light, and tell them that there was only a £5 difference between the two on Virgins own site.

To be fair,they should have known that and given you the option at the time of booking.

But if it cannot be done,dont worry, you still got a good price for flight and hotel....We pay more than that just for direct flights when we go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure