Money refunded to cancelled TSB card - £5k missing

Options
reddevil93
reddevil93 Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 14 June 2018 at 1:04PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Morning chaps,

On 25th of April, sports trading company Smarkets made a refund to my old TSB card which I lost and had to order a new one (they had to refund to the card that was used for deposits due to anti money launderig policy).

Amazon also refunded over £250 to that cancelled card and that money is also missing.

In total £5k is missing and has been since 25th of April. Been on the phone to different fraud and dispute departments, in branch and they are all useless.

I need to take serious actions now as I!!!8217;m just fed up with amount of time it takes.

What would you recommend?

Made a complaint on their website etc.

Last email from these jokers...

Didn!!!8217;t even provide any details as to where I should send these...

Thank you for your email.

I can see that you have concerns regarding three refunds !!!8211; I will address them separately below.

£4750.00 !!!8211; SMARKETS

£69.18 !!!8211; AMAZON

£149.99 - AMAZON

In order to investigate further with these refunds, we will need you to provide written correspondence from the merchant (for each refund) stating that you were due to receive a refund.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Hannah Wragg

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    You did not say if it was a credit card or debit card your protections are much stronger on credit cards
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, have you written to each of the above to request written confirmation? As long as the bank is offering you options I suggest you play ball and only throw your toys out of the pram (by which I mean Financial Ombudsman) when all other possibilities have been exhausted.
    : )
  • reddevil93
    Options
    It!!!8217;s a debit card. And I think that two months with such a substantial amount missing does not necessarily mean playing the ball
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    The place to go to is your bank your old debit card and new debit card will both be linked to your current account sort code and account number so there's no reason why the refund should not go onto your account

you need to speak to with the debit card transaction dept at your bank you should not need confirmation from Amazon or anybody else. just ask them to find the money it will be in the bank somewhere !
  • reddevil93
    Options
    How would I start the whole procedure with Ombudsman?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    reddevil93 wrote: »
    How would I start the whole procedure with Ombudsman?

First you make a formal complaint to your bank. Their complaints team will (they must) tell you about how to use the Ombudsman: in order to take it to the Ombudsman you must first have exhausted your bank's complaints process.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There!!!8217;s nothing saying the funds hadn!!!8217;t been rejected and returned to the retailer(s). It!!!8217;s upto the retailers to prove the refunds was successfully made.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Probably the fact that it is TSB is not helping you as they a few other problems at the moment.

For the future I would designate a special card for Smarkets (and other similar organisations). I have one card for that purpose and it never leaves it's "safe" place in the house. I remember the 3 digit code so don't even need the card on my person when I deposit.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have, or can you obtain, written confirmation of the refunds issued? If so, TSB has a correspondence address on its website. Seems reasonable to send the requested information if possible and give them an opportunity to investigate.
  • reddevil93
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Do you have, or can you obtain, written confirmation of the refunds issued? If so, TSB has a correspondence address on its website. Seems reasonable to send the requested information if possible and give them an opportunity to investigate.

Got the money now :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport