Woodburner - Conifer

Hi, I have cut down a large number of conifer trees and was wondering if anyone had used these in their woodburner. I have a multi-fuel stove and am planning to log them and season them for at least 12 months as we already have plenty to keep us going through winter, but then I've read a mixture of comments that range from fine if they have been seasoned well, though they will burn quite quickly to other people that say the resin content is high and even after seasoning them shouldn't be used.

Anyone offer any opinions?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I burnt a sizable load of conifer last year. Tended to light the fire with a bed of coal and then feed the wood on during the course of the day. Also mixed in a bit of hardwood for some variety. Whilst the conifer did indeed burn much quicker than cherry or oak, I didn't notice any other problems.

Swept my flue a couple of weeks back - No significant build up of creosote, and not much soot either.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I burn some conifer or softwood, and so would most people if they got it for free!

It does burn more quickly but if properly seasoned, there's no problem.

The only natural thing I would not burn is wood retrieved from the shoreline, because the salt content does nothing nice to stainless steel flues.
  • Tanks, really helpful. I have lots. At least 4 wheelbarrows full and more to come. Also have a large quantity of sycamore.

Would you say 12 months is the minimum amount of time for seasoning?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Would you say 12 months is the minimum amount of time for seasoning?

It depends... How small the logs are split, where they are stored - i.e. Under cover, in a shed/garage, or just left in the open.

I had a mixed pile of logs that were allegedly "well seasoned" that were stored outside under a tarpaulin. My moisture meter indicated that some were around 25%-30% moisture content. In comparison, I have a large pile of poplar that was felled last summer. Split in to small lumps, stored outside without any cover up until January. They have spent the last six months in a shed and are reading 15% maximum - Some are even under 10%.

The shed is painted with a very dark preservative, so when the sun shines, it becomes an oven in there. With a bit of air circulating, wood seems to dry out pretty quick.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would normally store wood for at least 24 months. I have had conifer that was only really any good after 36 months.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It burns really well when very dry.

As to the shouldn't be used arguement, they seem to manage perfectly well with it in Scandinavia.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've burnt leylandii with success although I did debark most of it.

FreeBear, I've a large amount of scavenged poplar too of about the same seasoning. Have you ever burnt it before and how did you find it?
  • Ok, as an update to this, we have an electricity pole in our garden. Well actually we have two, but one is completely defunct and a new pole was fitted sometime in the late 70's we think. Strangely Manweb fitted the new pole next to the old pole which we can trace through old photos to at least the 60's but never took the old pole with them.

They have been our to look at it, confirmed they should have taken it down and are making arrangements to come out and cut it down in sections... They asked if I want to keep it and I said I didn't know. Can poles be burnt on the log burner? It's a lot of wood if it can be burned on the woodburning stove. Any opinions please or should I tell them to take it with them?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Can poles be burnt on the log burner? It's a lot of wood if it can be burned on the woodburning stove. Any opinions please or should I tell them to take it with them?
    It will still have creosote in it, so no, it should not be burned.

However, the poles are indispensible as gate posts for farmers and those who don't need anything fancy, so if they were doing this for me, I'd ask for 2.1m pieces, which I'd then use or flog on Gumtree!
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    It will still have creosote in it, so no, it should not be burned.

However, the poles are indispensible as gate posts for farmers and those who don't need anything fancy, so if they were doing this for me, I'd ask for 2.1m pieces, which I'd then use or flog on Gumtree!

Good idea, I'll perhaps get them to cut it for me into 2m lengths and sell it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure