PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Disappearing Threads and the like

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,187
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    It may well be due to the volume of text including quotes etc... I would hazard a guess that some threads are made up of shorter posts than others, therefore the overall volume & server space required for users to view & post would vary.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Floss wrote: »
    It may well be due to the volume of text including quotes etc... I would hazard a guess that some threads are made up of shorter posts than others, therefore the overall volume & server space required for users to view & post would vary.

I would have thought that the "take a look at this" thread on the housebuying sub-forum would fall under that heading though??? - as many of the posts on there feature links people have given to houses for sale.
  • Hi everyone!

Firstly a huge thanks to zippychick for flagging the disappearing threads up to us :)

Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.

As zippychick explained, we very sadly can't reinstate the threads but it's best to look on the bright side - often a shiny brand new thread can give us a fresh start and help our motivation.

Thanks for your patience with this everyone, it really is appreciated.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.

Thanks Andrea, that's helpful to have it put so clearly (non technical) :)

Also, how has no one spotted (or commented) on my typo in the title? :rotfl::p:p:p:p:p:j

Please if anyone does happen to see this happen again (before us Board Guides etc) please post in this thread thanks.

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Errrrm....I had - ie spotted the typo:rotfl:

But I was not mentioning it....

Spots them right, left and centre on the forum generally - but keeps quiet about it...
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Errrrm....I had - ie spotted the typo:rotfl:

But I was not mentioning it....

Spots them right, left and centre on the forum generally - but keeps quiet about it...

Oddly I procrastinated about the spelling for ages and promptly forgot to check it :D

I was watching TV yesterday and someone said "pacifically" instead of "specifically".I actually nearly fainted :rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 July 2017 at 4:32PM
    Thanks to ZIPPY and ANDREA for trying to sort out the problem and for setting new threads running in both cases of auto delete. Is it absolutely positive that the spam button is being accidentally pressed, is there any way of actually checking to see if it is systematic and deliberate and if so by whom? If that should be the case is there anything that could and can be done to prevent a further occurrence of deletion? many thanks in anticipation.

Is there a 'set' number of spam reports that set the auto deletion in motion and if there is what is that number? and would it be feasible to put a flag up mechanism on the longer running threads to indicate it's getting close to the number of spam reports needed on that thread for the auto delete to happen for the guides and a way of letting it be shown on the actual thread so people can be less careless and if they do accidentally hit the spam button promptly in spam again?

Sorry, being a pain and thinking of another question! I've been on these boards since 2011 and never seen this auto deletion happen before this, two in a couple of weeks seems an anomaly, a very odd occurrence when I'm not aware of it having happened in the previous 6 years of posting. I do only frequent a very few threads but to have two of those go in weeks of each other, isn't that just a bit too odd to be a coincidence?
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I still feel very guilty. It is so easy when tapping on a tablet to dab the spam button when scrolling up or down and it has happened to me more than once. I immediately 'unreport' it but I suppose it still registers. If other people are doing the same perhaps that accounts for the spam reports triggering the auto cancel.
    Having said that, I have never read the "what are you cooking" thread. I'm not that organised. Also, I've only just joined the weight loss thread so perhaps it's not me.

Will go and take off the sackcloth.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,660
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reply,
    Something odd is happening to the whole site. I sometimes read a thread and click into a new thread, from there I get the log in screen, even though I stay logged in whilst on the site. This has happened twice this evening in the space of fifteen minutes.
    Also I will thank a number of posts only for them to be "unthanked" or the thanks I have just clicked on removed.

Not sure this is linked but some strange goings on are certainly happening.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 July 2017 at 6:59AM
    The position of the spam button should be moved further in to prevent accidentally hitting it. Even though I have a large tablet, it is easily done when picking up a device and more so if its small or one is clumsy.I 3xpand the screen to lose the side bar to increase the print size; this puts the spam button under my right thumb! The least disruptive way might be to push the whole button array to the centre of the message area but leave them in the same order.
    I also am having to constantly sign in. Is there an attack on the site?

I really appreciate the forum amd the work that must go into keeping it going. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure