PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy to let on 1st house

Some advice please.

We wish to purchase our first house and rent it out.

We currently live in a house that is part of my job, so we do not want to live in the new house but wish to get our foot on the ladder.

Looking at buy to let mortgages they assume that you are buying a second property and ask for 20-25% deposit.

Can we get a reduced rate with it only being our 1st property?
Could we get a normal mortgage and then let the house further down the line eg six months or does the mortgage have to be buy to let?

your help will be appreciated
You got to get through what you've got to go through to get what you want but you got to know what you want to get through what you got to go through.

Comments

• It may be an unethical answer to your question from me. However, I feel it is correct!!

As you are a first time buyer I would not even discuss the option of letting out at this stage. ( No lies as of yet and so no crime!!).

Look to purchase a house as a FTB and follow all legal issues. Then in six months time or whenever suits you, contact your lender and outline your plans to them. ( no lies again so no crime and following the correct procedure).

Why mention about a buy to let when you have not even purchased your first home for yourselves yet? All you are doing is looking at the possible future options but these are for you, nobody else so keep them as thoughts at this moment in time. Abit like a blueprint for the future!!

No lender is interested in what you plan to do with your life in the future, they could not care less. All they want to know is what do you wish to borrow and can you pay it back. They do the relevant checks and say yes or no.
  • PoorDave
    PoorDave Posts: 952 Forumite
    First Post
    ktuludays wrote:
    Some advice please.

We wish to purchase our first house and rent it out.

We currently live in a house that is part of my job, so we do not want to live in the new house but wish to get our foot on the ladder.

Looking at buy to let mortgages they assume that you are buying a second property and ask for 20-25% deposit.

Can we get a reduced rate with it only being our 1st property?
    Could we get a normal mortgage and then let the house further down the line eg six months or does the mortgage have to be buy to let?

your help will be appreciated

You have to tell your mortgage company if you bought on a residential basis, then wish to let the property, I have been led to believe. In the small print somewhere. They might let you, but they might say "we want a bigger deposit before we'll let you", in which case you're back where you started.

As asked by the other reply, why do this before buying your 1st residence?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
  • Kaminari_2
    Kaminari_2 Posts: 660 Forumite
    B2L mortgages generally require at least 15% deposit with all the rental numbers stacking up. I wouldn't suggest buying as a first time buyer unless you plan to live there yourself. You will be required to tell your mortgage provider as soon as you start to rent the property out and if you don't you may come unstuck with the insurance. There are so many aspects to cover with a rental property that it is not worth decieving any organisation that has contributed to you securing a property because eventually you will have to lie to them all to cover yourself. If you really want to know what is best, speak to your accountant so you understand what the outcome can be.
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    BTL is normally a minimun 15% deposit .Some lenders do not give for BTL .
    Your interest rate will be a bit higher for BTL .Most BTL's are done on an interest only basics .So if you borrow !00,000 in 5 years you will still owe £100,000 .Either as a residental mortgage or a BTL mortgage make sure you have BTL insurance .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure