putting cash into account how soon should it appear

I have a First Direct account which I set up to use for my ebay money. This has money deposited into it mostly online but in the last few weeks I have been buying for a friend who paid me cash for his item. I went to the RBS who hold my current account and paid in cash before 12 am on friday and as of 7.30 today monday it is not showing in my FD account, has anyone else experienced a delay like this? is it the norm ? Another bank black hole using are money for x number of days? needless to say I am off to the bank this morning
when I have deposited cash in the past to go to my offspring's accounts with the RBS it has showed up immediately I am interested to know others experience depositing cash to another bank account.

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    3.7 Paying Cash into Your Account
    3.7.1 When you pay just cash into your account over the counter at a branch of HSBC Bank, you will be able to draw against it immediately and it will be included as part of your balance and available balance immediately. For interest calculation purposes (if applicable) cash is taken into account on the day you pay it in.
    3.7.2 When you pay cash into your account at another bank, you will normally have to wait three business weekdays before you are able to draw against it and it shows as a credit to your account. You will earn interest (if applicable) as soon as it shows as a credit to your account.
    First Direct T&C's
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,959
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I sometimes have cash paid into my account by my mother (200 miles away) and it's always showing immediately online. In fact the last time she did it I could see the monies in my account before she got home! LloydsTSB get a gold star for that one.
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Halifax is also immediate - which is nice ;)
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • aycor wrote:
    I have a First Direct account which I set up to use for my ebay money. This has money deposited into it mostly online but in the last few weeks I have been buying for a friend who paid me cash for his item. I went to the RBS who hold my current account and paid in cash before 12 am on friday and as of 7.30 today monday it is not showing in my FD account, has anyone else experienced a delay like this? is it the norm ? Another bank black hole using are money for x number of days? needless to say I am off to the bank this morning
    when I have deposited cash in the past to go to my offspring's accounts with the RBS it has showed up immediately I am interested to know others experience depositing cash to another bank account.

If you pay money to an account at a different bank to the one your paying in at then it usually always takes 3 - 5 working days as the money is transfered via BACS.

If you'd have taken the first direct account details to HSBC (who own First Direct) and said you wanted to pay cash into that account they would have taken it and it would probably have been available straight away.

These policies are pretty much the same across all UK banks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport