Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Comments

• ValiantSon wrote: »
    What utter garbage. How exactly is it without question, Martin? I'm questioning it for a start.

They top the polls every single time. Some individuals may still have their own issues with FD but, on the whole, they are better than any of the alternatives.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They top the polls every single time. Some individuals may still have their own issues with FD but, on the whole, they are better than any of the alternatives.
    ....but ValiantSon's point is that it's one thing to cross-refer to the (unscientific) customer opinion polls (which, to be fair, is the usual MSE line) but it's an entirely different thing to editorially pronounce them the best as if it's an indisputable ("without question") and quantifiable fact!

That's not to say that your opinion that "they are better than any of the alternatives" is invalid in any way, and it's an opinion shared by numerous others, but, with all due respect, that's all it is, an opinion.

Fortunately we're only a few months away from banks having to publish meaningful metrics about their services which will hopefully move us away from the entirely subjective stuff that we currently have to endure....
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite

So a statistically invalid opinion poll is the proof that First Direct "undoubtedly" have the best customer service? What a lot of rot.

It is your - and apparently Martin Lewis's - opinion that they are the best, but it is not a fact beyond doubt.
  • sue.b_2
    sue.b_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has anyone had a problem with payment of the promised gift card from M&S? Mine has not arrived a month after switching so I will be in touch with them but it could be useful to know whether they are getting behind with sending them out.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    sue.b wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem with payment of the promised gift card from M&S? Mine has not arrived a month after switching so I will be in touch with them but it could be useful to know whether they are getting behind with sending them out.
    They're behind with everything due to the volume of applications they've received.
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lots on here about switching accounts but my Daughter is looking for her first.
    She is currently with Halifax but is looking for another account when she turns 18.
    Part time job earns her average £800/month net and Student loan to be paid in.
    Any suggestions ?
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    She could try starling or monzo if she is happy to run the accounts on her mobile phone I prefer Starling myself
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    theshed wrote: »
    Lots on here about switching accounts but my Daughter is looking for her first.
    She is currently with Halifax but is looking for another account when she turns 18.
    Part time job earns her average £800/month net and Student loan to be paid in.
    Any suggestions ?

What features is she looking for? Any current account will handle direct debits, standing orders etc.

Why does she want to leave Halifax?
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Halifax is a young saver, as she turns 18 this will be transferred to a standard account.
    Just about every bank will pay Me to transfer, but it appears there is no incentives given to those who want to open their first account. Not even a Porcelain Pig ! :)
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    She could transfer it to a standard account and then once completed change banks and get the incentive
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback