Best Day Trading Stock Signals Subscription

13»

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2018 at 2:44PM
    Malthusian wrote: »
    If your annual return is 5% then it is lame.

I've just cashed in a very ordinary, moderate-risk investment plan that I've had with the Halifax since 2004. This was a high-street retail investment with relatively high charges, which most people here would consider poor value for money. The yearly return was 7.3%, averaged over that time, and I paid no tax on it.

I did absolutely no work for that - I put the money in fourteen years ago and that was it.

You say you're making 1100 bets during a 6 month period for that return? It seems like an awful lot of work for 5%.
  • OXFORD_SMOGGY
    OXFORD_SMOGGY Posts: 685 Forumite
    5% ROI on turnover please read the example.

5% of annual 500k turnover is 25k profit
    5% of annual 100k turnover is 5k profit

By betting I am increasing my turnover in the year to several million and 5% of that, even though my starting bankroll may only be 10k.
    :beer: Printing money since 2008 :beer:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You've changed multiple times, from ROI on a sum, to ROI on each transaction, to ROI per year..
    These are all very different.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    there is some edge just there and always will be.

There's insufficient edge to make day trading profitable on an ongoing basis. A small investor has an edge when it comes to trawling the bottom amongst the minnows and holding for the longer term.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    any share has roughly a 50/50 chance of rising on any 1 day,

Not all shares move in price every day. Some remain static. Or move so insignificantly as to make daily trading unprofitable. Given the buying/seling spread alomg with the stamp duty that has to be paid on easily traded securities.
  • John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2018 at 9:18PM

By betting I am increasing my turnover in the year to several million and 5% of that, even though my starting bankroll may only be 10k.

You seem to be using numbers in a way that no-one else in investing does. Your return is how much your original investment increases over a year, nothing more, nothing less, expressed as a percentage.

If you claim, as it now appears, that you started with £10k but made 5% of several million pounds (I.e. something like £250,000 from that ten thousand, in one year), then I think that very few people will believe you.

Edited to add, if you add in your recent mortgage worries (considering committing mortgage fraud as you are unemployed), and a few other things you were looking at to make a little bit of extra, then your claimed returns seem even harder to believe.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

If that's true, and you must therefore be making at least £100k probably double that a year, tax free, why on earth would you look to deal in shares where you have no knowledge base and the underlying fundamentals are completely different and impossible to game in the same way as betting ?
  • ImranQ
    ImranQ Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OXFORD_SMOGGY - you're best bet is to either learn how to trade or to put your money in a decent fund.

If you don't have the time or the inclination, investment services such as Hargreaves Lansdown and Fidelity have 1000's of passive and active funds you can choose from.

Do yourself a favour and don't bother to sign up to a stock picking service. Not only will you lose your fee but your account will be a LOT lighter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure