Humax 1100S Freesat or Humax 2000T Freeview

We are torn between purchasing a Humax 1100S Freesat or a Humax 2000T Freeview. Do we have to set up a Freesat account or would it be done automatically if we plugged in the Humax 1100s. Which is the better option the Humax Freeview Box or the Freesat one . Our old Humax 9150T has given up the ghost after 9 years and needs replacing. Thank you for any advise.

Comments

• DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Freesat needs no account or subscription, it's all Free-To-Air broadcasts and EPG similar concept to FreeView.

do you have a Satellite dish pointing 28 degrees East ? i.e. where Sky dishes point to ?

do you have a terrestrial aerial with a decent signal.

Are there TV aerial and satellite LNB outlets in the room where you want the set top box ?

Which ever gives the stronger signal and best picture for HD channels would be my choice.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    We are torn between purchasing a Humax 1100S Freesat or a Humax 2000T Freeview. Do we have to set up a Freesat account or would it be done automatically if we plugged in the Humax 1100s. Which is the better option the Humax Freeview Box or the Freesat one . Our old Humax 9150T has given up the ghost after 9 years and needs replacing. Thank you for any advise.

I have had both Freesat and Freeview for years using Humax receivers/recorders.
    The Freesat box is only a receiver but the Freeview box has a hard disc for recording. I prefer Freeview. If your old 9150T is Freeview then you should already have a suitable aerial installed. It is, I checked.:p

What makes you think an account is needed? I think all I had to do was input my postcode to receive the channels available at my location.
    The clue is in "Free" - no sarcasm intended.:o
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2018 at 3:46PM
    What makes you think an account is needed? I think all I had to do was input my postcode to receive the channels available at my location.
    The clue is in "Free" - no sarcasm intended.:o

Maybe the OP is referring to the Freesat app but not stating this? You do have to register for it, but as you say not to actually use the box otherwise.

Personally I have and use both Freeview and Freesat and have done for years as both have some channels which are not available on the other.

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Freesat box is only a receiver
    Assuming the OP is referring to a Humax HDR-1100S, then that is recorder also.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We are torn between purchasing a Humax 1100S Freesat or a Humax 2000T Freeview. .

The Freeview one is a straight swap for your existing box, it even has a Scart socket although if you have the choice use the HDMI socket.

Bit of a no brainer perhaps?

The Freesat box is only a receiver but the Freeview box has a hard disc for recording.

Both quoted boxes have (at least) 500MB HD's to record shows.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2018 at 4:23PM
    Assuming the OP is referring to a Humax HDR-1100S, then that is recorder also.

The Freeview one is a straight swap for your existing box, it even has a Scart socket although if you have the choice use the HDMI socket.

Bit of a no brainer perhaps?

Both quoted boxes have (at least) 500MB HD's to record shows.

Think you will find OAT is referring to the box he is using. i.e. a Foxsat HD. Maybe he could confirm?
  • The Humax 1100S is far more adaptable and modern with additional usages. It is slighly more expensive. The Humax 2000T is more old fashioned and has been around for some time. It maybe due for a newer model to replace it, but is the closest to your 9150T. What Hi Fi rand other review sites appear to rate the 1100S more highly.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Your question is usually answered by; 'do I have an aerial (Freeview) or a satellite dish (with 2 feeds)(Freesat)'

If you have both, then you do have a choice to make. If you know you have good reception on both, then we're down to looking at cost and channel differences...
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    As a sideways budget thought what about a slightly used BT dtr-t2100 youview box off ebay? No warranty but made by humax, about £45 (budget £10 for a new remote off aliexpress too). 500gb, scart plus hdmi all the high def freeview channels, the main free streaming players like the iplayer plus netflix.

I paid about £40 for mine plus £7 for a new non worn remote control off aliexpress and I'm pretty pleased with it. Thought it rather a bargain compared to an official new humax and a big jump for the old humax I had before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure