PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gluten free baking

Options
13»

Comments

• Mands
    Mands Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    janb5 wrote: »
    Hi Mands,

I think this is the one I used. I have tried others but the one with 6 eggs worked best. Potato flour can be found on the kosher section.

http://www.gelsominas-cucina.com/2013/09/lemon-feather-cake-gluten-free.html#.WQ8uAFXysps

I used creme fraiche and lemon curd last time which was very popular. HTH.

That sounds lovely, thanks!
    Mands
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Nigella does a recipe for a clementine cake which is gluten & dairy free & it is delicious.

Last year I had to find a recipe that was gluten, dairy and nut free. Delia does a lemon drizzle cake made with mash potatoes and it does work & taste good ! :)

Jen
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Pop_Up_Pirate Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Thats almost me, I have a nut allergy on top, not awkward at all!

OP lots of coelaics are also lactose intolerant, but if that is the case oil can be used instead of butter.
    Butter is virtually lactose free to begin with, and the cooking process in a cake nullifies what remains.
    No need to remove butter from cakes for people with lactose intolerance.

Oil is more detrimental to health.
  • The_Dorset_Finca
    Options
    I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but on Madeleine Shaw's website she has a great recipe for a Gluten Free and Refined-Sugar Free birthday cake, which doesn't necessarily have to be just for birthdays!
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Like GwylymT, I have a nut allergy as well as gluten intolerance, and when one son comes home, he is caisin free as well as gluten free, my other son is diabetic and his girlfriend is allergic to eggs., and my sister and niece are coeliacs. Mealtimes become interesting when we are all eating together....

I usually just substitute the ordinary flour with G/F flour and am prepared to add a bit more liquid, and I haven't had that many failures. It helps if said cake has a relatively lower proportion of flour to the rest of the ingredients. I find fruit cakes very useful in that respect, and they tend to keep well too. Scones on the other hand are largely all flour, and I find it difficult to make a good scone as a result.

One tip for you: I tend to bake a cake, let it go cold, and then slice it into individual portions, wrap them and freeze them. (don't tend to having icing although if I did, it would be of a buttercream type.) I then just take out a portion when I need it. Very useful for packed lunches, as the defrosting cake keeps the rest of the food cool!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure