BT credit and broadband installations

Hi
BT have been my telephone provider for the last ten years. Recently on my quarterly statement BT advised they were reducing my bill as they noticed I didn't have broadband. Interestingly this coincided with a recent Installation of fibre/broadband cabling as I haven't had broadband for ten years due to a rural location.
So two questions:
1) should I be due a credit for the ten years I've been without broadband
2) can I connect to any provider now or does it have to be BT?

Thanks

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Tallyho13 wrote: »
    1) should I be due a credit for the ten years I've been without broadband

No. This reduction only came into effect a couple of months ago.

Tallyho13 wrote: »

2)can I connect to any provider now or does it have to be BT?

Do you mean for broadband? If so then you can use any provider.

If you mean for LR only then I believe it is just BT who offer this discounted LR.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 June 2018 at 6:37PM
    As already stated , you are entitled to reduced line rental , if you are a BT customer with phone only ( no broadband) , this was an Ofcom requirement recently applied to BT only, who have obviously noted that you fit into this category and have moved you onto this new line rental tariff.
    You are not entitled to any refund as you weren't overpaying previously, as you seem unaware of this change, presumably you should be grateful that BT noticed and moved you, rather than waiting for you to call and request being moved onto this new deal.

If you never had broadband previously , because the speeds would have been very poor, but newly installed infrastructure means that speeds may now be good enough for you to consider getting it..if you do get it , from BT or anyone else , you would forfeit the cheap line rental and would be charged at the normal rate of the provider you chose to supply broadband
  • Thanks both I wasn't aware and just thought it coincidental with the fact that finally we've had cables laid to enable broadband and fibre that they'd amended my line rental that the credit came at a similiar time so made me wonder.
    I now need to look into line rental and broadband I suppose?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure