CC to improve credit rating/score/whatever.

Options
Evening! I have a question about credit scores/rating/whatever its called! I have joined the MSE Credit Club, and also have the Clearscore app. I thought I would 'give it a go' and applied for one of those credit builder CCs - and was accepted. With three CCJs, I thought my credit file was pretty bleak, so i wasn't really expecting to be accepted! The limit is only £300, so I won't get myself into trouble with it. So I have two questions:

1) Will spending a little each month, then paying it off in full, help towards improving my file? Or do I need to leave a small balance? The first four months purchases are interest free, but the APR is 34.9% after that.
2) Will it negatively impact my file if I refuse a credit limit increase on my card? I don't want to be tempted to spend what I cannot afford, as I'm working on clearing my other debts!

Thanks

WT :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use it, clear in full, accept increases unless you have no self control, control your spending urges and ignore your credit rating/score/whatever.

Time will do the rest.
  • WinstonTown
    WinstonTown Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fantastic, thank you :)
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1) paying off in full will demonstrate responsible behaviour with credit.

2) No, you do not have to accept credit limit increases. It will have no impact. (It probably won't be offered for the first 6 months anyway)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Use it, clear in full, accept increases unless you have no self control, control your spending urges and ignore your credit rating/score/whatever.

Time will do the rest.

I agree. I would also suggest not taking advantage of the short 0% offer and clear in full from the first statement.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember use it for normal spending that you would use a debit card for and keep that money in your account for the DD. The question though is can you leave money in your bank account without spending it. You need to know your personality when deciding how best to use credit to build your score.
    If you don't think you can be disciplined enough, then getting a card to build credit score/history could back fire.
  • WinstonTown
    WinstonTown Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I!!!8217;ll clear it before the next statement date and ignore it !!!55357;!!!56842;
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll clear it before the next statement date and ignore it

Do NOT clear it before the statement. Wait for the statement and then clear it before the due date (a direct debit for the full balance is the best way if you can be trusted to make sure there is enough available in your bank account)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure