NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    What is your dream goal?

(I came up with 2! Will tell you them later)
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 770 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    apple Muncher my big big goal is to own a house with plenty of land. Not bothered about the house as much as long as its comfy but hub is into his gardening, we have chickens, want bees etc & that's a big end goal for both of us.

Soooo I need to retract ydays spend free day :( boo! Bought a rucksack. However it is on my list of things we could do with & it was in the sale. Not even sorry :rotfl:

Janus- still keeping year end in mind
    Activity- went YS shopping again last night :cool: done well this week, freezer is full to bursting, just need to keep it up. Easily got enough meat to see me through to end of Feb. :D
    Non negotiable- meal plans set for next week, still on NSD # 4, budgets; savings still same, general- 160 left for month :cool: hoping to have a little left over, which I will put towards something on my list of things that I know I will need in next 6 months. Eg- I know my boys will need a few summer outfits for their holiday. Will look to buy them as I go along so I don't notice it :o
    Unabashed devoation- keeping to all my budgets
    Always plan- not in work today or next week but will be taking snacks & drinks with us all next week.
    Reduce, reuse, repair- dragged out all our old board games for our break. On a mission to use what we already have.
    You- long bath plannes tonight after I have caught up with my house work.
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My two big dreams are:-

- to find the love of my life (I’m not actively working on this so it’s looking doubtful!)

- to live a contented, stress reduced life. I’m such a stressy person but I know there are lots of simple things I can do to help. This week I’ve started by not looking at work emails after 7pm or for at least a 24 hour window at the weekend.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Good morning,

My little ones are nearly 4 and 7. I just had a chat with them that things will change in the new year. I. E. No more just getting off the table without clearing your dishes etc etc. They're not too bad but some of your experiences tell me i need to step up the game.
    By the time i was 10 i was home alone after school, went to the bakers, then made fire at home, dishes etc etc.

Still at FIL's will report more later

My big dream is just to live life to the full which involves small subgoals to support this
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    greent - happy birthday to your DS for today. Mine arrived in the world at 1.22am so I was probably tapping my foot about now waiting to go home.

DancingDragons - DD is the worst of my two when she can't find something, in fact she doesn't even try she just shouts and expects me to jump up and look for whatever it is. We used to have a tech free Wednesday but that has fallen by the wayside, may have to re-instate that.

Had a lovely evening last night with our new seating arrangements, everyone was comfortable and no kicking each other.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My big dream was always to travel. I could never afford it when I was younger but I'm making up for it now so my ambition is to see as much as I can whilst I am able to do so.
    Other ambition is not to stress about everything. Now that's a bit more difficult!
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • I think my two big dreams are to be debt free (an obvious one I suppose!) But I want to be able to funnel all the money we pay back into savings!
    The second dream is probably to have a bigger house (either do a loft conversion in this one or move). If we have a second baby, we'll need more room by the time they're about 6.

Can I ask a Question please? I've seen a few people here getting amazing vouchers or similar for surveys, which sites are you using please? Is it worthwhile with the amount of time put in?
    Thanks!
    Money Saving since 2016 and determined to be debt free by 2020.
  • Just popping in with a quick question for you home bakers...
    Have been through my cupboards today (Eat ALL the food up!) and located a ood pack of dried yeast, expired recently in my book (sep17). Is it likely to still work? Need to buy in some flour to make use of it so just wanted to check first!!!
  • Chandelier.
    Chandelier. Posts: 933 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 January 2018 at 11:35AM
    A little late to starting here but better late then never! I hope nobody minds.. I need something to keep me accountable for and I'll aim to check in most days. So here we go...

Janus

12 months from now? I hopefully see myself alot happier and able to deal with my mental health condition. I hope to have established and maintain a good relationship with new man in my life. I hope to continue to save around £7k towards a house deposit. I hope this year is the year to make even more new memories with a holiday to look forward to and many family occasions. I hope this is the year to secure a permanent job where I work and to have no time off sick.

5 years from now? I hope to have moved out and bought a home for me and the boy to live in. Ideally I'd like a 25/30% deposit and enough left over to do house repairs- this is more likely a three year plan. I hope to be more settled and content with life and those in it. You never know whats around the corner but thats the plan for now. I also hope to remain in the job I'm currently in.

10 years from now? This is a long shot one but I'd be hoping to be in my own home, extend our little family and overall be able to have the funds to live a comfortable lifestyle. This may include me increasing my hours at work or looking for a promotion etc or even possibly retraining.. who knows?

Activity

I need to get back to going to the gym at least 2/3 times per week. I'd also like to take up walking more and go on walks out in the countryside with the boy. When it is those cold frosty days we can take flasks of hot drinks with us and little picnics. The fresh air would do us both good.

Non-negotiables

-18 NSDs (if not, why not?): I will aim for 12 NSD this month. I've a few upcoming expenses but will try to extend this to 15 if possible. I may attempt to plan my NSD ahead in advance if possible and try to see if there is a pattern on days I'm more likely to spend.

- Budgets:
    January has been a funny month so far but I'm working through the budget more slowly and still getting back in the swing of things. I used to be really good at this but have a few upcoming expenses that weren't budgeted for and will have to find these from other pots. February will be a much better month budget wise after reviewing all current direct debits and cancelling a few things, I'll know where I stand.

-£5 Foodbank: I'll take the boy shopping with me and pick up items which will go straight into the foodbank collection point. I'll probably allow the boy to choose what items to buy and involve him.

- Pay money to your debts FIRST: January debt payments were made at the end of December. A small inheritance thrown my way has meant I've been able to clear all debt (noted in my previous diaries) and I now have a clean slate to work on for 2018 :D. Instead of paying towards debt, I'll now pay money to my savings first at the beginning of each month.

- Meal plan: I need to work on this and get back into the routine of three meals a day. I often only have one meal a day and snack in between. I need to look at all food stores and make a plan for both the boys lunch boxes for each day and meals for tea time that work around our routines.

Goals

I'll post my goals for January here. I'm not making too many that I become overwhelmed but just enough to give me something to focus on.

- Lose 5lb (If more brilliant, if not then it's okay).
    - Practice some CBT techniques
    - Use a diary and a daily journal log to track thoughts/feelings and behaviours. Remember to note the positives I experience each day.

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse!

I will aim to reduce the clutter in my life and use up what I have left before buying anything else. I need to reorganise and decorate my room and January is a good time to start. It's not going to be a quick fix but rather a work in progress so I'm not putting too much pressure on myself.

--
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Morning Turtles,

Taken rabbit to the vet this morning, was free as covered by the rescue centre as it's a pre-existing condition. I've also got an hour of studying done, just having a break to do housework and chores (not much of a break then really!) and then will get back to it later. I need to pop into town to get a few bits so it won't be a spend free day, and also OH and I are going out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary. It won't be expensive (have already checked the menu lol) and I don't drink so that always helps keep costs down.

My eye is getting worse, it's very swollen and I can only open it halfway. That's an attractive look when you're out to dinner! :rotfl: am hoping it clears up a bit, I have a doctor's appointment next Friday.

I think I need to take some of your tips on board about children - except apply them to OH! :eek: he's been frustrating me recently, he gets home from work, switches on the computer and sits there all night, and I have to do everything. Then he expects a medal for taking the hoover out once in a blue moon... I need to get him to realise that I'm not his mother and that this isn't a hotel, but he gets so defensive any time I bring it up! I am half thinking of going on strike, and just moving any mess he makes into the bedroom (his side of course) and leaving it there until he gets the message! :p
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,805 as of 04/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport