CCJ incorrectly applied to credit file help!More credit file issues also!

Hello and good day.
Thanks in advance for anybody who may be able to help with my problem.
I have recently applied for a new bank account with overdraft and also a credit card.
I was refused for both so decided to try the free trials on equifax and checkmyfile.
A major issue I found was a CCJ for a bill from Yorkshire water which was for money not owed and they have admitted I do not owe them any money as the property it is for is uninhabited.
However they now tell me that to have the CCJ removed I must pay a court fee of £80 and there may still be no guarantee that this will be removed from my files anyway.
Forgive me but how the hell is this fair???
Ive also had an issue with British Gas stating I owe £370 for electric and £130 for gas which was also an error as the correct amount is only £88.
As yet no CCJ but the information is still there and not rectified.
Ive also got a Loan showing defaulted for £59 which Ive never had anything to do with this company either.

I have emailed the credit agencies and notified them of these errors without any help whatsoever.

Where can I go from here as there seems to be no way of calling any actual person(s) to help who is human and not reading from a script or an automated reply.

Thanks again in advance for any help.
Kind Regards.
New to comping March 2008 wins so far:
Sweet Nothing.:o

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Have you taken the complaint further?

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.817
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • moofo
    moofo Posts: 62 Forumite
    fermi wrote: »
    Have you taken the complaint further?

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.817

I initially called them and the lady was quite polite and responsive and apologetic.
    She even told me they would write a letter confirming I did not owe them any money and get the court notified to have CCJ removed.
    Then 15 minutes later called me back and backtracked on her words and told me I had to get a certain form and send an £80 fee to the court.
    And pretty much tough luck as it is my fault that I wasn't habiting the property and therefore hadn't received the pre court letters....
    Not quite sure how that makes me at fault but hey ho...

Thanks very much for the link I will try that now.

All I want is my credit file to show true information.
    Why are companies and credit agencies allowed so much power over people without any easy ways of rectifying false information.
    Why is this not discussed in parliament and resolved?!
    It is an absolute disgrace.
    Surely this is a hot topic for a TV program like watchdog?
  • moofo
    moofo Posts: 62 Forumite
    Just called Yorkshire water for their reference number to send a complaint of the link provided.
    Same response as last time they will not do anything about removing the CCJ as they say its my fault in the first place for not letting them know I did not live in the property.
    Anyway have lodged a complaint with the consumer council now have to wait another 5 days for a response....
    Sweet joy.
    More time wasting.

Thankyou for the help though.

Seems madness that you have to go through all this to resolve something that should be so simple.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Moofo, thank you for your query regarding CCJ
    You have done exactly the right thing by making a complaint but if you did not inform them that the house was unoccupied you may be liable for the water rates for that period but if they have accepted it is their mistake you have a much stronger case but it may need to go to an Ombudsman to resolve fully and I would suggest if you need your credit reference to be rectified qucikly that you make the application for the set aside using form N244 (if you are on a low income or certain benefits you may be able to get remission from the court fee using form EX160) and then claim back the fee as part of the complaint. A claimant has to issue a CCJ to your last known address so they are not in the wrong for doing that however if you had told them the property was empty and should be exempt from water charges then they should not have issued procedings against you in the first place.
    Regarding your gas and electricity arrears, credit reports are not real time so it may just be that that was the balance (or estimated balance) last time they updated it and the next time it is updated (usually quarterly) it will be corrected but if you think that is affecting your credit rating (I would suggest that the CCJ is the reason you have been turned down for credit) then you could write a complaint to British Gas asking them to correct it straight away.
    Regarding the unknown loan, this is more worrying and could be a sign of identity fraud and I would suggest you write to the company asking them to provide a copy of the signed credit agreement, what the loan was for, when taken out, what the address was etc stating you dispute ever taking out a loan with them. Send the letter by recorded delivery and keep a copy and if they do not respond you can make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
    You can find out more information about disputing debts and complaining to ombudsmen at www.adviceguide.org.uk.
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure