PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling a property in Spain (Costa Calida)

I have had my house in Spain on the market for 14months and no takers. I have it with five agents all with different selling tactics. I know one hears about 'the laid back Spanish lifestyle' but seriously I am getting nowhere fast as nothing seems to be happening. I have put it on several internet website and still nothing. I know it is priced about right, even very realistically, since a neighbouring property is on the market for 31,000euros more than mine! Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong? Any tips or advice to get it moving would be appreciated.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Comments

• kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The market in Spain is not as fast moving as the UK,we expect the same response,is it it essential ,financially that you sell,then you need to re-evaluate,if not be patient and positive ,enjoy what you have and for-get about selling ,it will happen.I have sold two properties in Spain,remember to re-value.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Not sure about the Spanish market but my contacts there say it is flat around the Valentia area.It seems that property is very overheated out there.I was there twice last year and was gobsmacked at the prices.Indeed the Spanish are more priced out to by property than first time buyers in the U.k imho.I guess it`s downward valuation at the moment.
  • I know on the Costa del Sol properties are not moving, this is mainly because a) they are overpriced and b) there are too many of them. Don't know what it's like where you are.

Even up where I am in the mountains, people tend to overprice them and they stay for sale for months or even years. I know one couple who sold a place and others said they'd sold it for too little, but they didn't mention one important fact - it SOLD whilst others are still languishing! They asked a realistic price and got it.

If you can drop the price I would do so.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Why not look for a company that deals with property auctions. Could be a possible way to sell but you have be prepared for a low price.

It is a tough time at the moment for sales in Spain as, like already posted, the market is flooded with good property to choose from.

Prices have reached a max and people are still trying to sell in Spain with 20% plus per year profit. this is no longer possible.

Look at what you paid for the property then add a percentage for each year in the property equal to a yield of around 7% per year. See where that leaves you with a sales price and hopefully you will be in profit. If not then you have either bought recently or paid too much as properties have not crashed in price.

A good way to sell for agents in Spain is to have low price and let them sell for whatever they can get. Don't worry if they are making a fortune, you get what you want and they earn good money so they will work for you. Not nice to hear but true all the same.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport