Prudence account

Options
2»

Comments

• JollyNolly
    JollyNolly Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    So if I've understood correctly, it is doing quite well now, but hasn't been in the past (if my calculations are anything like accurate it looks like I've averaged about 2.5 percent over 12 years :mad: ). The trouble is, this is the full extent of my savings (having cashed in some others to pay off debts) - so would the wise thing be to drop it all into ISAs for a reliable return?
    £2 coin savers club: £1.49
    Official DFW Nerd Club: Member no. 047
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You had a stockmarket crash right in the middle of your term which wiped out much of the final bonus. You have only really had the annual bonus. Plus you must remember that with regular savings, you dont have much of a balance in there at the start.

A cash ISA would be more reliable. If you wanted to take a cautious investment, there are better ways of doing it. It shouldn't cost you anything to take the money out now as it has gone past the five years. Pru themselves have made this product more or less obsolete now so there is little reason for them to support it long term.

So, whilst I cannot give you advice to keep or surrender the plan on the forums (as that is in breach of forum rules), I think you have enough information there to decide what the best option is for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    Here's someone else with what looks like the same product and also totally confused.

These plans appear to be a variation on an endowment, like those AXA plans discussed earlier.

Does it have a maturity date and a guaranteed sum assured as well as declared bonuses?
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • dunstonh
    Options
    No, prudence savings account is not an endowment. It has no defined term. it is treated as a non-qualifying whole of life assurance. The life assurance would be upto 1% of the value of the plan.

This product should not be compared with the AXA plans which are far worse. This is not a bad plan in it's principle and can actually be pretty beneficial for higher rate tax payers who can use it to avoid the higher rate tax liability if used correctly. The limitation is the with profits fund, although being Pru, that isn't a disaster and with the next bonus statements due in April to show 2005 bonuses, it would probably be best waiting until then. Any figures obtained now would only show upto dec 2004 figures (i know this is I got some Pru figures in the post yesterday stating that).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • JollyNolly
    Options
    So maybe I won't cash it in just yet - that'll mean I'll miss the 2005-06 ISA deadline, but then I don't suppose I'm going to have loads of other spare cash in 2006-07 lined up for ISAs anyway. Presumably the Pru will let me know what the bonus situation is in April?
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    OK, the dreaded WoL.

I think the concern here really is that people seem to have been sold these plans as "savings plans" without really knowing the money was being invested in the stock market, not saved somewhere safe and they could lose their capital.

This is the same "attitude to risk" based misselling problem we had with endowments.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Its a very poor marketing name as well. Designed back in the day when they could get away with such things. Prudence savings account suggests deposit based and not investment backed.

Perfect product really for the tied agent salesforce. ;)

And yes, I would hold until you get your statement. The monthly commitment, if you are still paying monthly, can be ceased at any time without penalty according to the products terms and conditions.
  • JollyNolly
    Options
    Thanks very much for your thoughts, guys - I feel I know a little more about what I've got now - perhaps enough to make a relatively sensible decision this time ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family