Surely it makes sense to....

Comments

• If you are given to worrying, it could ruin the holiday. Go earlier (if possible) or not at all and take the family castle hunting in South Wales instead (not hard - higher density of castles in South Wales than anywhere in Europe!)

Sure the weather may not be too friendly but who said Europe was rain free?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'd be a little concerned about delays at the borders, but hopefully there aren't.

I personally don't think Brexit will happen on the 31st October, but if it does flights should still run.

I'm going Italy a week after the Brexit deadline. I'm getting my money before 31st October because knowing the exchange rates they'll temporarily plummet (like after the referendum, election, anytime Theresa May talked publicly!). I would exchange currency soon for the certainty of a semi decent rate
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I would exchange currency soon for the certainty of a semi decent rate
    There's no certainty whatsoever. The value of the pound may improve, stay the same as now, or decline.

The perceived future influences are already reflected in the pound's current value by the market. Only unexpected events will cause a major change, such as the 2016 referendum result did.

If you are exchanging cash, that already reduces your chances of benefit by ~3% because of the margin you pay on the exchange rate.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Sharon87
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    There's no certainty whatsoever. The value of the pound may improve, stay the same as now, or decline.

The perceived future influences are already reflected in the pound's current value by the market. Only unexpected events will cause a major change, such as the 2016 referendum result did.

If you are exchanging cash, that already reduces your chances of benefit by ~3% because of the margin you pay on the exchange rate.

I get a decent cash rate (1.115 at the moment. xe.com shows exchange rate is 1.127 right now) at my local exchange place if I preorder online, so not too bad. I'm not going to exchange much.

I think that rate is pretty good based on the past couple of years. There is no certainty with the exchange rate I agree, but every time anything leans towards brexit or a no deal brexit the pound has temporarily gone down for at least a couple of weeks. So I'm basing it off previous milestones of the Brexit process.

If there's a deal it may go up and great. I'm not exchanging all of my money, just some of it (Martin suggests half and half if you're not certain and want to secure a rate you're happy with)
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042
    Forumite
    Why would anyone worry about getting stuck in their holiday destination? Free extra holiday....duh!
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,028
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My mate originally booked to fly on Brexit day before the extension. Why worry? Nothing is going to change other than maybe extra security checks.
  • Sharon87
    Forumite
    cubegame wrote: »
    Why would anyone worry about getting stuck in their holiday destination? Free extra holiday....duh!

I know, when my flight got cancelled because of the French air traffic control I got an extra 24 hours in Ibiza. Lots of people were stressing and there I was thinking 'woohoo another extra day, better text work I won't be in tomorrow!' It can't be helped if flights get cancelled, your employer/schools will understand.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Forumite
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    I know, when my flight got cancelled because of the French air traffic control I got an extra 24 hours in Ibiza. Lots of people were stressing and there I was thinking 'woohoo another extra day, better text work I won't be in tomorrow!' It can't be helped if flights get cancelled, your employer/schools will understand.

That's fine if you're told to stay put at the resort but often people are required to turn up for a flight that just gets delayed and delayed and delayed.

Personally it the week spanning 31st October was the only time I could get leave then I'd book if you can find something that's good value. It might be better waiting a short while as if people refuse to pay the inflated post Thomas Cook prices then the cost might come down a bit.

It's all speculation though and if you want to be safe then have a holiday in the UK.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

The idea of it sounds great but the reality is a faff. I assume not everyone can afford the extra outlay to pay for extra accommodation and/or food, then there is missing time off work (possibly unpaid), excess car parking charges etc.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,130
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

Personally, that would be my attitude too - but I'm always one to try to make the best of any situation. Rather than moaning about the "holiday hell" of being "stranded abroad" I'd see it as extra time in the holiday destination which I had chosen.

Of course, I'm sure it is different if you have spent your carefully saved budget and need to get back for work/family commitments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure