Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SnowTiger wrote: »

Have you considered a Natwest account instead?

They will allow you to withdraw up to £300 from one of their cash machines without a card.

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Searchable/913240822/What-is-emergency-cash.htm
    I wish more banks would do that. Currently I'm stuck in limbo waiting for a new card and pin. That said, you need to use specific cash machines and I don't have a Nat West - or indeed a Tesco - within 20 miles. Plus there are no branches of my own bank within 20 miles.
    Well at least it has taught me not to put all my eggs in one basket! :)
  • elainypeps_2
    Options
    Hi I've been trying to find a payzone near me that does the Pre paid credit cards but its hard work, some listed on their site search aren't even a Payzone and others do not do these cards, please can someone help me with specific outlets that offer this service if at all possible, thank you :)
  • Goldcrypto
    Goldcrypto Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    With a prepaid card you can only spend what you have on the card. So no cash advance. Or do you mean transfer cash to a bank account. In that case any which allow transfers out. For example Pockit allow transfers to UK accounts and accounts abroad or try the Unbank Of U.

I like Pockit with fact can load cash on anywhere 24hrs a day if find a 24hr shop with paypoint, plus limits are good once verified. However, to save the £1 top up fee can transfer cash from bank to the account online for free. Always use that card for online purchases to keep main cards private and reduce online fraud attempts - not have to worry people trying to take out money if they overcharge as there is none in, only at top up.
    'Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway'

W Buffett
  • Kargar29
    Options
    Is it worth opening an account with starling just to use their card abroad?..I!!!8217;ve had prepared cards before, and am unsure if this is the best way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Goldcrypto wrote: »
    I like Pockit with fact can load cash on anywhere 24hrs a day if find a 24hr shop with paypoint, plus limits are good once verified. However, to save the £1 top up fee can transfer cash from bank to the account online for free. Always use that card for online purchases to keep main cards private and reduce online fraud attempts - not have to worry people trying to take out money if they overcharge as there is none in, only at top up.

In some, admittedly rare, circumstances a prepaid card can have a negative balance. Pockit cover this in their T&Cs. See section 12.

If there was a problem with a transaction, I would prefer it to be on a credit card rather than a prepaid card.
  • mulder0
    mulder0 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if I am in the right area, but wondering if anyone else been charged $12 by Fairfx when reporting their card lost?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    Options
    mulder0 wrote: »
    Not sure if I am in the right area, but wondering if anyone else been charged $12 by Fairfx when reporting their card lost?

That may be a fee to have the card replaced.

See the FairFX Prepaid Mastercard® Card Terms & Conditions section at https://www.fairfx.com/terms. $12 to have a dollar card replaced.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kargar29 wrote: »
    Is it worth opening an account with starling just to use their card abroad?..I!!!8217;ve had prepared cards before, and am unsure if this is the best way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Some people think so as well as getting a Halifax Clarity card just for one holiday trip. It all depends on what you want and you are prepared to pay for it. For example if you are only going to use ATMs for a total of up to €200 per month Revolut might be your best option. Otherwise same advice I've previously offered in other similar threads: Fee-free might not necessarily be the cheapest. There is for example the exchange rate to consider.
  • money08
    money08 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 August 2018 at 8:16AM
    Options
    My bank has just blocked my credit card and removed my credit line. Had it years and never missed a beat. I want to close the account now so they can shove it. However i cannot even open a basic account with anyone else at the moment and I applied maybe 7 or 8 times which has clearly spooked my credit file.

I need a prepaid card into which my benefits can be paid and which can do at least standing orders, but maybe DDs too. Zero fees if possible and obviously reliable and trustworthy. Any ideas?

Another issue I have is I get a small regular payment (in £s) from USA but for this I need and IBAN and Swift code for my account but it would seems prepaids dont do this, so any ideas who would?

My idea is to eliminate my address and previous credit file connections as I am moving soon. So get a prepaid card at my new address that has no connections to previous accounts because I wont be taking any with me. Build up a credit file again paying the various bills like water etc and then open a bank account 6 mths or more down the line without dragging all my old baggage around with me. My current file shows addresses going back over a decade!!

I dont really use cash any more much and dont need any overseas money for hols etc.

Many thanks
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,045 Forumite
    Options
    money08 wrote: »
    My bank has just blocked my credit card and removed my credit line. Had it years and never missed a beat. I want to close the account now so they can shove it. However i cannot even open a basic account with anyone else at the moment and I applied maybe 7 or 8 times which has clearly spooked my credit file.
    Is there some sort of CIFAS fraud marker against you perhaps? It's unusual not to be able to open any sort of basic account, so apart from checking all three of your credit files you might also wish to establish if CIFAS have anything on you, via https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request. Did your bank give you 60 days notice of their plan to withdraw facilities or was it immediate suspension/termination?
    I need a prepaid card into which my benefits can be paid and which can do at least standing orders, but maybe DDs too. Zero fees if possible and obviously reliable and trustworthy. Any ideas?

Another issue I have is I get a small regular payment (in £s) from USA but for this I need and IBAN and Swift code for my account but it would seems prepaids dont do this, so any ideas who would?
    Sorry, I don't know of any such cards that are that close to being a fully-functional bank account.
    My idea is to eliminate my address and previous credit file connections as I am moving soon. So get a prepaid card at my new address that has no connections to previous accounts because I wont be taking any with me. Build up a credit file again paying the various bills like water etc and then open a bank account 6 mths or more down the line without dragging all my old baggage around with me. My current file shows addresses going back over a decade!!
    I'd forget any notion of being able to reinvent yourself in that way - any applications for credit (including utilities) will typically ask for previous addresses over three years, so, unless you plan on acting fraudulently by deliberately omitting facts, you'll have to keep the continuity going.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback