Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Options

Comments

• will-in-estoril
    Options
    paddytt wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a VISA Electron card?

It seems to be the only way to avoid extortionate credit/debit card charges on Ryanair.com - £14 on a £104 flight! That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much...

I notice that Barclays offer one, but only for 16 to 19 years olds. Do you think they are fussy about the age? I was 19 once... :rotfl:

regards

TT

I travel every 3 weeks with BMI Baby, and was in a similar position to yourself. I opted for a Co-op visa electron for the following reasons:
    1. I treat the card a bit like pay as you go.
    2. Although you have a basic bank account Co-op sort out the opening over the phone.
    3. You won't need a paying in book. Each time you need to book a flight go to the Post Office and pay in cash for the amount of your flight. It credits instantly. No need to keep any other money in this account.
    4. Statements are sent once a quarter, but you can get a balance at the PO, or at any Co-op or other Link machine.
    5. Happy Days!!
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • dexters_mum_2
    Options
    Was just going to post Co-Op cashminder, don't think they credit check either, so no footprint on your CR.

Good online access too.
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    For what it's worth, different types of VISA card are actually many different systems.

VISA credit cards are, and always have been, the VISA network.
    VISA Electron is actually the "Electron" network.
    VISA Debit is actually the old "Delta" network.

Three different card types, one name. Confusing.

In Australia they run something called "Accept All Cards" - if someone takes one VISA, they take them all. They should bring that over here...
  • dexters_mum_2
    Options
    Absolutely, that sounds great, Bill.
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
  • Lizp_2
    Lizp_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Iwould like to get one too especially for booking Ryanair flight - can anyone help!
    paddytt wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a VISA Electron card?

It seems to be the only way to avoid extortionate credit/debit card charges on Ryanair.com - £14 on a £104 flight! That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much...

I notice that Barclays offer one, but only for 16 to 19 years olds. Do you think they are fussy about the age? I was 19 once... :rotfl:

regards

TT
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lizp wrote: »
    Iwould like to get one too especially for booking Ryanair flight - can anyone help!

Read the previous posts on this thread! As far as I know the Halifax Easycash account (http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/easycash.asp) is the only Visa Electron account you can apply for online, which was why I chose that one.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • JoseChungsDoomsday
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    Read the previous posts on this thread! As far as I know the Halifax Easycash account (http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/easycash.asp) is the only Visa Electron account you can apply for online, which was why I chose that one.

i have the halifax account as well, as I'm a halifax customer anyway, it takes 2 seconds to transfer money...
    :santa2:
  • will-in-estoril
    Options
    i have the halifax account as well, as I'm a halifax customer anyway, it takes 2 seconds to transfer money...

But if you don't it can take 3 days to transfer money. The Co-op Cashminder offers a deposit facility at your Post Office: they still outnumber Halifax branches.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    xiox wrote: »
    I think it's a con by Ryanair to put hidden costs into tickets. They have to legally have a low cost option for buying tickets, so they choose a card virtually nobody has so that nobody can get the advertised prices. Someone ought to take them to court and see whether there is any basis for the difference in charges between an Electron and any other debit card.

its hardly a con when theres link stating the costs for the card you are to use
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • superstar_2
    superstar_2 Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    Options
    Does Halifax Easycash account not issued by Bank of Scotland. This is because, I am a Bank of Scotland customer and I can't seem to apply online via the HBOS online.

There's a link at the halifax easycash site which says apply now. They want my whole details as though I'm a new customer. Aren't Halifax and BOS together now, such that they do not ask me for every details and Halifax was saying that they will be providing me with an online username!!?

Anyone can shed some light>??:confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport