Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs?

Comments

• mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As someone who was a mechanical engineer, (a long time ago) and whose brother and father were both car mechanics, and someone who has always been big into bangernomics, (probably before the word was coined), this is an obvious board on the forum to come to for some light reading and occaisional entertainment.

So no obsession, just indulging in a " normal" interest, like the vast majority do here. I don't post often, others explain stuff/help people much better than I ever could.

Like the other forums I frequent, (football, betting, gardening), there are a small minority that seek to post in a way that probably entertains themselves, rather than seeking to contribute in a positive way.

That's forums for you. :)
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 August 2018 at 5:39PM
    motorguy wrote: »
    For the avoidance of doubt
    • I didnt "accuse" you of making stuff up i said i suspected you put your own skewed slant on it to make your point (which lets be honest you're doing again)
    'Whatever buddy'.
    Briefly, why shouldn't 'I suspect a lot of that you're adding in to suit the story' come across as making stuff up? Or a skewed slant as you now call it. It wasn't a 'story' either.
    Don't 'suspect' things about which you know nothing, you couldn't possibly know what the conversation was about, 'for the avoidance of doubt' of course.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2018 at 6:17PM
    I was told I was "stupid" to buy my M2 and another so called 'sports' car which is the RX8. both are RWD, have LSDs and in the £550 tax bracket returning 25mpg at best. Both are expensive to run and maintain and aren't practical. Why should i be bullied and abused into what others believe is the 'right' car?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    fred990 wrote: »
    'Whatever buddy'.
    Briefly, why shouldn't 'I suspect a lot of that you're adding in to suit the story' come across as making stuff up? Or a skewed slant as you now call it. It wasn't a 'story' either.
    Don't 'suspect' things about which you know nothing, you couldn't possibly know what the conversation was about, 'for the avoidance of doubt' of course.

Because the amount of people you met who lived like that and absolutely didnt have a handful of nice cars in the garage round the back probably makes up 0.0001% of those people who are truly rich.

Coupled with the fact that i'm sure you're turning a blind eye mentally to the ones who did have a nice car.

But hey ho, whatever you need to tell yourself to get you through the day.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    For the avoidance of doubt

Personally, i comment on threads where i think i can help (hence the 10,000+ thanks) - its usually on cars, computers, technology consumer rights, holidays, employment, finance - and on threads where people are frankly wrong, being obtuse or deliberately contentious.

The latter group being what you usually do (and are doing now)

There you go again, I don't need to tell myself anything to get through the day thanks.
    You however clearly come across as someone who can't accept that they're wrong about something despite being the self appointed guru and font of all knowledge! Geez look at that pompous carp above. Nobody knows that much, it's only your opinions unless I've missed all of the links you provide to your peer reviewed journal of facts?
    Stop trying to re-write your original assertion that I made up my experience talking with some fabulously wealthy individuals that weren't into cars. I didn't say it was all rich people! You weren't there, get over it, play the ball like other posters.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • fred990 wrote: »
    So, are car obsessives a bit weird/odd?

Naw......just anyone who lives/works in London and is obsessive about 20 mph speed limits and limiting the replies to women only.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Most enthusiasts can appear a bit odd.

Until you find yourself the only one in the room not into X, at which point the oddball is the odd one out.

I like the eccentrics & enthusiasts of this world - their passion is a warm & bright highlight in an otherwise blandly same-old-same-old world.
  • motorguy
    edited 14 August 2018 at 8:19PM

There you go again, I don't need to tell myself anything to get through the day thanks.

Well clearly you do. You only have to look at your posting history to see that.

You however clearly come across as someone who can't accept that they're wrong about something despite being the self appointed guru and font of all knowledge!

Sorry, wrong about what? That you're a nasty little man with a chip on your shoulder? I dont see many people jumping to your defence?

And no i'm not a self appointed guru, there are far more knowlegable people than me on here.

Geez look at that pompous carp above. Nobody knows that much, it's only your opinions unless I've missed all of the links you provide to your peer reviewed journal of facts?

Its not pompous. Its a statement of fact. I'm not an expert on any of those things, merely saying that whilst pretty much your opening sentence on this thread was against me, i was pointing that that i put on a lot of sub forums here that arent motoring related.

I've also asked for - and got - a lot of great advice on here too. Its what its about - everyone getting together and sharing knowledge.

Of course, you'd know that if you werent doing anything much else other than trolling.

Stop trying to re-write your original assertion that I made up my experience talking with some fabulously wealthy individuals that weren't into cars. I didn't say it was all rich people! You weren't there, get over it, play the ball like other posters.

No - thats not what you originally said. Your original intimation was that really rich people didnt have nice cars, the whole "old money" thing, when the reality is very different.

Heres the quote as you seem to have forgotten what you actually put

I think it's the only way the average Joe can show off. Get a flashy car on finance to overcome status anxiety. Worse still drive it like a teewat.

I used to fly corporate helicopters on my days off from flying big airline planes. I was always amazed to land at very wealthy sprawling mansions and the owners had very unassuming cars. Total waste of money was a common comment.

Loving the humblebragging dropped in too. :wink:
  • motorguy
    ....play the ball like other posters.

:rotfl:

Yeah, because thats what you do. You spend most of your time attempting to wind people up - like this thread - and then you expect to be treated with respect?
  • motorguy
    Naw......just anyone who lives/works in London and is obsessive about 20 mph speed limits and limiting the replies to women only.

Which in itself is amusing, given how sexist he is about women...
    I love this driving stuff because it's so boring and dry yet it's the be all and end all for so many men. Ladies just notice the colour of cars, maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure