What do you Consider a Good Age to Live to?

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd like to live as long as possible while still maintaining a quality of life. If I developed some sort of serious life altering illness/disability I think that would be the point I'd no longer wish to live.

If you're asking what age I'd consider reasonable to reach while still maintaining that quality of life, I'd suggest about 85. I'm thinking by the time I reach that age that'll be below average anyway.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd like to see 90, my mother did - her mother managed 86 and her grandmother managed 81 (b 1880).

I am not entirely sure I'll make it to state retirement age though.... I'm definitely the one of my siblings that will go first... unless they meet with an unexpected and catastrophic event.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I don't want to outlive my nieces and nephews and godchildren, but apart from that I don't really think there's any such thing as a 'bad' age to live to. Some people at 75 feel like they're just waiting to die while there are people nudging 100 who still have full and happy lives.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I don't really think there's any such thing as a 'bad' age to live to

I get the impression you were thinking about fairly old ages, but I would point out that anyone who's lost friends in their teens/twenties/thirties/forties/fifties might well disagree.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    my dad said, retire earlier than me and try to live longer(he knew my lifestyle was against that).
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    pumpkin89 wrote: »
    I get the impression you were thinking about fairly old ages, but I would point out that anyone who's lost friends in their teens/twenties/thirties/forties/fifties might well disagree.

Yes, I was thinking about it in terms of there being a possibility of getting 'too' old, which is clearly what the OP meant.

I have lost loved ones young, as have lots of people. I very much doubt anybody read my comment as suggesting that was just fine and dandy.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fit and healthy now, but if it was a choice between a long drawn-out illness or going tomorrow, I'd go tomorrow.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Daft question. I want to live forever, but after several serious operations, pancreatic cancer and now in chemotherapy, I just want to take each day as it comes. I would like to see my youngest grandchild (13) grown up. I am 73.

Secret of Life, as told by my dad when I was 14: -

"Keep waking up every morning lad!"
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If I ever start wearing fleece jackets with wolves on, ill know the end is nigh
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd like to get into my 90's because there is so much to accomplish and I'm a slow starter! I'm 39 and still renting and have debts..... I figure by 50 I might have become responsible so living to 90 gives me 40 years of enjoyment. Only if I'm happy and healthy though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure