Litter Fine please help

Options

Comments

• reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Still irrelevant, NHS figures show alcohol releated health issues cost more than smoking.
    If you drink alcohol you are needlessly taking drugs.

you are making a pointless hypocritical argument that serves no purpose.
    If he dropped it to put it out and then used an ashtray - he wasn't littering..

You have made assumptions and now want to appear like you have some superiority in the scenario when really you just seem oddly bitter and pedantic for no reason other than to inflate your own ego.

be constructive and helpful or go to another forum more suited to your pedantry..
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    reason2 wrote: »
    Still irrelevant, NHS figures show alcohol releated health issues cost more than smoking.

I agree that drinking alcohol is needlessly taking drugs, but i'm not saying it's wrong to drink occasionally for leisure.

If someone was having a pint of beer everyday before work because they were addicted to it then i'm sure even you agree that's a problem and they need help.

How do you know that he didn't drop it on the floor then quickly pick it up when he noticed someone had caught him. Stating he wasn't littering is an assumption that your making.
    You have made assumptions and now want to appear like you have some superiority in the scenario when really you just seem oddly bitter and pedantic for no reason other than to inflate your own ego.

be constructive and helpful or go to another forum more suited to your pedantry..

What assumptions am i making?

If i wanted to act superior i would be making some long speech about how i never drink alcohol, never drink tea etc but i didn't say anything like that and it wouldn't be true anyway.

But you seem to be defending people being addicted to substances which damage their health. You seem to think smoking is ok because it costs less than alcohol abuse?. Well health is more important than money.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    "A person is guilty of an offence if he throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter in any place to which this section applies and leaves it."

That last bit is important -the offence is dropping AND leaving. If he picked it up and did not leave it, then no offence was committed.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 10:55PM
    Options

You shouldn't be bringing up alcohol in this discussion. Alcohol doesn't generally cause litter problems in day-to-day affairs, except with the down and outs who drink all day and night (and I've seen some of them around my way dumping cans/bottles in the street; good luck fining them! Post the fine to the local hospice and expect it to be used as toilet paper; ASSUMING you can get their details). Maybe at a push people who fly-tip, but recycling schemes (and even the normal bin service) generally covers that.

I don't think it is right like (I also don't think it is right that the government initially promoted cigarettes and taxed it despite the health effects; something I mirror with alcohol to be fair), but smokers are an easy target on the littering front! The amount of people with income who are happy to smoke in public and chuck their butt ends on the floor genuinely baffles me. In my previous work people literally chucked butt ends on the floor NEXT TO A BIN! Literally 1 foot away from it.... It was on private property like, so the employed cleaners earned their keep, but some "brave" souls chucked their butt ends on the floor on public land! And the local enforcement officers were like flies to !!!!! Every other day I heard stories like that of OP's post.

So I have no sympathy for OP like. When people are caught out they come up with excuses ("it was burning his hand and he then picked it up and stubbed it out"*) to try and wriggle out of it. The truth is, one could so easily have smoked next to a bin/blown it out before the butt end burnt their hand and disposed of it correctly. But that didn't happen, so it turns into an "argue the toss" scenario. Hell, they could have even been like alcoholics and done it in private... It's just infuriating in a way, because people don't engage their brain and expect to get off scott-free!

Oh and add in the obligatory "He suffers from severe depression" line :D Shall we consult the NHS on that?

It's an absolute farce posts like this.

*EDIT: and just to point out but he effectively threw a flammable item onto the ground. 999/1000 times that isn't an issue, but it can cause a fire in very specific circumstances! AND people typically stub such a butt end out with their FOOT. It just doesn't make sense to throw it on the ground, wait for it to burn out and then pick it up; wholly more likely that it was picked up only because someone challenged him.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's also a farce when people keep saying "like"
  • jumpedtheshark
    Options
    In case OP returns, can you clarify the order:
    Option 1: Son drops cigarette end, son picks up and disposes of cigarette end, son is issued FPN
    OR
    Option 2: Son drops cigarette end, son is issued FPN, son picks up and disposes of cigarette end.

If option 2 applies, was your son offered an opportunity to pick it up (see 'accidental littering') before the FPN was issued?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Meh, apparently I wrote 446 words and only 7 of them were "like".

Not going to lose any sleep over 1.57% of my words being "like" to be fair; though it might be linked to a local dialect perhaps?

EDIT: and some of the "like" words were necessary :p

DOUBLE EDIT: I feel like Joey Barton!

Only 3 of your 7 were 'dialect based' likes. I'm North-eastern. I know the feeling!
  • rollingmoon
    Options
    Good luck to the OP. I've been on the receiving end of this kind of attempted fraud too.

In getting my gear on to ride my motorbike out of a public car park, one of my foam earplugs blew out of my hand. I retrieved it immediately, and before I'd had time to dust it off and fit it I was pounced upon by two of these individuals, claiming they'd videoed me dropping litter. I carried on putting on my lid and rode away without engaging with them in any way. This was just over a year ago, nothing has been heard since.

With regard to some of the replies the OP has received up to now - well... all I'll say is that some people need to find a purpose in their lives greater than whatever drives them currently.
  • BitterVirtue
    Options
    Drugs? !!!!!! are you on about? It was a roll uo ciggarette.

Ive screenshotted this.
  • BitterVirtue
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    It's just as likely that he dropped it on the floor and put it out with his foot (as it was hot) then picked it up once he noticed someone had saw him.

The fact the the OP mentions "big burly men" and their son being intimidated shows it is clearly biased against the people issuing the fine.

You really need to stop wasting the councils time requesting footage and claiming tampering of evidence, you have already said you son dropped him so he was littering; it's as simple as that and it doesn't matter how long it was on the floor.

Maybe you should put this much effort into helping your Son to stop using drugs.

Reportedfor libel....!!!!!!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport