The Best Washing Machine & Tumble Dryer?

Options

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We don't have room for seperate units so had to buy a washer/dryer. We ended up getting a Beko one that got decent reviews. Had it 18 months now with no problems. We will certainly consider another one when the time comes to replace this one.

It is a condenser dryer but there is no drawer to empty it goes out the same drain as the machine water.

It dries the clothing very well. The only thing that confuses it is the bedding which sometimes comes out a bit damp if it had bundled up in the drum.
  • rob7475
    rob7475 Posts: 850 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've got a Bosch tumble dryer - it's a self cleaning condenser and pumps the water to the waste pipe so there's no water tank to empty, no condenser to clean. There's two filters which need emptying between every couple of loads but they are easy access and take seconds. It was more expensive than hotpoint, hoover etc but build quality does seem really good.

Currently on a Hoover washer that we've had a few years. When it eventually dies, we'll probably go with Bosch.

I've moved to Bosch for a few appliances now and the quality seems very good for the price.
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I recently bought a Bosch. Model WAV28KH9GB. So far I'm very pleased with it. Much quieter and solid than the appalling Samsung it replaced. The Bosch has auto dosing with your own detergent and washes and spins well. The Miele used to require you to use their own ( expensive but good ) detergent and softener although you can now buy extra empty containers to refill. Plenty of user reviews and usage videos on Youtube. One thing which put me off the Miele was the enormous weight of it. 95 odd Kg from memory....the thought of having to move it into position across my new LVt floor was enough to steer me towards the Bosch which is a fair bit lighter. The Miele depending on the model tends to be a bit deeper too, which was very important in my own situation.
  • Chrishazle
    Options
    Our first Miele washing machine lasted 23 years with only 1 belt replacement in all that time - then the main controller failed. The required spare part was available (Miele design for a minimum 20 year life with spares available for at least 10 years after they stop making a particular model) but I decided to pay £100 more 11 years ago and get a new machine - which is still going strong and so far has been fault free (touch wood rapidly).

We also have a Miele condensing tumble dryer that must be best part of 20 years old and again has been fault free. You can choose whether to let the water collect in its reservoir - which you then have to empty - or use the discharge hose into a sink. We collect the condensed water and use it in the steam iron - and thus only rarely have to clean the iron!
  • thrombel
    thrombel Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2020 at 7:16PM
    Options
    I've got a Miele entry level model (the cheapest) & its by far the best washing machine I've owned. I've had it 2 years & it washes far better than all my previous machines. You will not be disappointed with a Miele.... You can pick up an entry level model for £600-700.

We are a family of 4 + I do my elderly mothers washing too.

The self dosing models - the Miele detergent is more expensive than standard detergents.

The entry level Miele suits our needs perfectly. I didn't need a machine with bells & whistles.
    + I couldn't justify £1000+ for such models.

I use Lidl concentrated liquid detergent - cheap as chips & everything washes up really well.
    I very occasionally use Aerial powder for badly stained items like grass stained white socks, curry stains etc. I never use Vanish. Let the Miele do its job with standard detergents!

Items come out less creased too - they aren't stuck to the sides, in a lose pile at the end of the wash. So no more ironing of school skirts. blazers, trousers, hoodies, tracksuit bottoms etc.

Everything comes out smelling incredibly fresh too - not sure how Miele engineered that one! I never use fabric conditioners, no need...

When my tumble dryer packs up, it will be replaced with a Miele.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Bosch, Siemens, AEG (or John Lewis, same machines)

I will never have a heat pump dryer again. They take far too long to dry. Save some cash, buy a basic Bosch condenser.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You lot have been really helpful, thank you. Lots of food for thought.

I particularly like the idea of a tumble dryer that will discharge the water to waste. I will wait until we move to get one like that. This is the right time to plan, though. Before first fix!!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    You lot have been really helpful, thank you. Lots of food for thought.

I particularly like the idea of a tumble dryer that will discharge the water to waste. I will wait until we move to get one like that. This is the right time to plan, though. Before first fix!!

You don't have to wait on the tumble dryer. Ours can collect the water in the drawer, or we could plumb it into the waste. It's not an either/or choice
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Bosch, Siemens, AEG (or John Lewis, same machines)

I will never have a heat pump dryer again. They take far too long to dry. Save some cash, buy a basic Bosch condenser.

Not a problem with the one we have dries everything plenty fast enough.

It's not like you sit watching it, 1 min to load and 1min to unload do something else while it does its job.
  • naf123
    naf123 Posts: 1,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My biggest concern with a heat pump was it apparently takes longer than a condenser. In a busy household with some urgent drying needs (eg wet shirt 6am in the morning !) So I stuck with a cheap Bosch condenser. I console myself in the knowledge that although heat pumps are apparently cheaper to run , you are still paying electricity to run it for a long time ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure