first time stocks and shares ISA

Hello

Currently have a savings pot in a cash isa and fed up with the low interest rates

Thinking of transferring to marcus account but still only approx 1.5% interest

Thinking that I need to move some of my savings into a stocks & shares ISA , as don't know anything about shares etc was thinking of a medium risk managed portfolio however from looking at Halifaxs website unclear to what the expected returns or historical returns are for a medium risk investment

Really need some guidance please

Many thanks

Comments

• What are your saving goals? Investing is for the long term.
  • What are your saving goals? Investing is for the long term.

Looking for either 5 or 10 years , currently 50 thinking of retiring @ 55 or 60

most likely 60

Regards
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Looking for either 5 or 10 years , currently 50 thinking of retiring @ 55 or 60

Is ISA the best wrapper?
    What is your plan for this money in 5 or 10 years? (full withdrawal, phased withdrawal, income or just left or other?)

The expectation of return is based on your risk level and type of investments you use.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't recomend investing in any portfolio unless you can see the return for the last five years.

The AFI balanced index return about 7% over the last 10 years so you should be looking for a return of 6.5% on a medium risk portfolio.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recomend investing in any portfolio unless you can see the return for the last five years.

The AFI balanced index return about 7% over the last 10 years so you should be looking for a return of 6.5% on a medium risk portfolio.
    Nothing wrong with looking at historical data as part of research but dangerous to use the last five or ten years as a benchmark, given the benign market conditions during the extended bull run since the 2008/9 crisis - it would be handy if the next five or ten years were similar but unnecessarily brave to predict that....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure