Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?

Comments

• cisko65
    cisko65 Posts: 233
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi MSE Chris, my message refers to a mix of the previous one:

I started to sign up for Shell's superfast broadband (Average 35Mb) + landline. MSE shows this package as £22.99 monthly cost and, considering the £75 offer, an effective one of £16.74. I accessed Shell's website via MSE, but I'm not taken automatically to the deal, in fact I have to enter what Kind of package I want and the £22.99 one is not shown.

Sorry for such a long message. Maybe the solution to my query is obvious, but I can't get it myself.
    Thanks
  • MSE_Chris
    MSE_Chris Posts: 199
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    MSE Staff
    cisko65 wrote: »
    Hi MSE Chris, my message refers to a mix of the previous one:

I started to sign up for Shell's superfast broadband (Average 35Mb) + landline. MSE shows this package as £22.99 monthly cost and, considering the £75 offer, an effective one of £16.74. I accessed Shell's website via MSE, but I'm not taken automatically to the deal, in fact I have to enter what Kind of package I want and the £22.99 one is not shown.

Sorry for such a long message. Maybe the solution to my query is obvious, but I can't get it myself.
    Thanks

Hi,

I suspect you may be going to Shell Energy's Broadband site directly.

If you enter your postcode on our site here: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com

When you find the £16.74 deal, click 'Get Deal' and you'll then be redirected to Shell Energy's application form. On that page, it'll state at the top:

91e887e9e095d725e93fb90a12bb4ec8.png

Enter your postcode and click next to continue. You'll then be presented with the £22.99 option to select.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions.
  • cisko65
    cisko65 Posts: 233
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Chris wrote: »
    Hi,

I suspect you may be going to Shell Energy's Broadband site directly.

If you enter your postcode on our site here: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com

When you find the £16.74 deal, click 'Get Deal' and you'll then be redirected to Shell Energy's application form. On that page, it'll state at the top:

91e887e9e095d725e93fb90a12bb4ec8.png

Enter your postcode and click next to continue. You'll then be presented with the £22.99 option to select.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Chris.
    I go through the MSE page
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.193346605.1236032942.1569605215-1642066056.1556355738#search

I enter my post code and selections of Mb speed etc. and I get the £22.90 package details. When I click 'Get deal' (Sorry, I can't copy the screenshot I did) I am redirected to Shell Energy's application form. At the topOn that page, it states :

''In partnership with''
    ''Exclusive offer
    £75 etc.''

From there I select 'Not an energy customer? (and not the Log In). But after registering I am asked what I want and the £22.99 option doesn't appear.
    I am a bit lost...
    Hope you have time to reply to me again. Thanks
  • cisko65 wrote: »
    Thanks Chris.
    I go through the MSE page
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/?_ga=2.193346605.1236032942.1569605215-1642066056.1556355738#search

I enter my post code and selections of Mb speed etc. and I get the £22.90 package details. When I click 'Get deal' (Sorry, I can't copy the screenshot I did) I am redirected to Shell Energy's application form. At the topOn that page, it states :

''In partnership with''
    ''Exclusive offer
    £75 etc.''

From there I select 'Not an energy customer? (and not the Log In). But after registering I am asked what I want and the £22.99 option doesn't appear.
    I am a bit lost...
    Hope you have time to reply to me again. Thanks

I managed to do it!
    Thanks
  • I was interested in Shell Broadband after seeing it on the MSE
    site in August 2019. The MSE site showed it as £16.99 pcm with a £75 discount at the end of October, ie. a total monthly payment of £10.74 pcm. I was transferred to the Shell Energy Broadband website and I joined, it commenced 10th September 2019. I received an email confirming it was £16.99.
    Not long after, I received a bill showing what I would have to pay, it was c£16.90 PLUS VAT! now over £20.

I sent them a complaint using their online form, but received no reply.
    I rang their Customer Service/Bill enquiries number, and waited while an automated voice message kept saying they were busy. I gave up after 16 minutes.
    I've since emailed them, and yet again no reply.

I checked the original email from Shell that said it was £16.99 and it changed while I was looking at it, to plus vat!!! Is this legal?

So can't recommend them at all at the moment.

TonyR
  • MSE_Chris
    MSE Staff
    TonyR48 wrote: »
    I was interested in Shell Broadband after seeing it on the MSE
    site in August 2019. The MSE site showed it as £16.99 pcm with a £75 discount at the end of October, ie. a total monthly payment of £10.74 pcm. I was transferred to the Shell Energy Broadband website and I joined, it commenced 10th September 2019. I received an email confirming it was £16.99.
    Not long after, I received a bill showing what I would have to pay, it was c£16.90 PLUS VAT! now over £20.

I sent them a complaint using their online form, but received no reply.
    I rang their Customer Service/Bill enquiries number, and waited while an automated voice message kept saying they were busy. I gave up after 16 minutes.
    I've since emailed them, and yet again no reply.

I checked the original email from Shell that said it was £16.99 and it changed while I was looking at it, to plus vat!!! Is this legal?

So can't recommend them at all at the moment.

TonyR

Hi TonyR,

I think without a copy of your bill, it's difficult for us to answer this one. Perhaps this FAQ from Shell helps explain why your first bill may be different:

https://help.shellenergy.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360001044418-Why-is-my-first-bill-higher-than-I-expected-

If that doesn't explain the difference here, then you will need to contact Shell directly. It has a live chat function on it's site which you can access here:

https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/contact-us

Type the word "Chat" in the box and you'll be given the option to chat with someone if they're available.

MSE Chris
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 is a month and five days.

So that seems entirely consistent with shells faq. They charged you for five days at the standard rate or £19.99 and then for a full month at £16.99, presumably to be followed by seventeen more months at £16.99.

By my calculations with 30.44 days in the average month they have rounded it up by about a sixth of a penny. I bet you they keep it too!

You can see your offer price listed in their historical price list at https://www.shellenergy.co.uk/info/broadband/pricing

Poor of them not to answer you enquiries though.
  • MSE_Chris
    MSE Staff
    TonyR48 wrote: »
    Hi Chris, Thanks. This is a copy of the bill amount they say is due:
    Monthly charges From - To Charge
    Caller display (in advance) 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 £0.00
    Fast Broadband (in advance) 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 £21.88
    Line rental (in advance) 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 £0.00
    Promotional Discount 5 10/09/2019 - 15/10/2019 £4.98 CR
    Total £16.90
    Total
    Total charges £16.90
    VAT at 20% £3.38
    Total charges this period £20.28

Hi,

I was just about to reply until I saw mnbvcxz had beat me to it.

The billing period is for 35 days and I suspect this is because your Direct Debit is set to come out on the 15th of each month following this billing period.

I'm disappointed Shell were unable to respond to you but do try their chat feature as I've personally found it to be quite quick/helpful myself in the past.

Best,

MSE Chris
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,450
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I signed up with Shell, and I found their customer service very good. They answered my questions promptly, and they sent the router in plenty of time. The actual ADSL is provided by BT Openreach, so is out o9f their control, anyway.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Hi Chris, I’d be grateful for your help. I signed up in August through the MSE link for the Shell Fast Broadband offer for £16.99 with a £75 automatic bill credit. My offer stated that the £16.99 included VAT but my October bill has 20% VAT added to it and I have not received the automatic £75 credit as the offer promised.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback