TV license about to run out.

My TV license is about to run out and I’m considering going without live tv and BBC.

Can I still keep my Now TV even though it has live channels and apps for live tv? Technically I could access these on my phone or lap top - even my trusty old Kindle so is it just a question of honour that people don’t cheat?

I know they say they’ll send a detector van around or an ‘enforcement officer but Ivrarely watch anything new on the television - just old films.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As long as you don't watch any of the live stuff on Now TV you are fine without a license. Just because Now TV provides live TV does not mean you have to watch it.

In the end the licensing people just have to hope that people without licenses don't cheat and watch live TV or iPlayer. They can only prosecute you if you confess to doing what you shouldn't.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2020 at 2:11PM
    You are fine as long as you don't watch the Live TV channels. They won't send a detector van around but they may send a salesperson to visit. Make sure you tell them "not today" if they do and close the door. Don't give them any details and never sign anything.
  • Anyone watch here tv?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You have access to the Internet, you can access for example ITV live, it's no different.

Yes you can keep Now TV.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    My TV license is about to run out and I’m considering going without live tv and BBC.

Can I still keep my Now TV even though it has live channels and apps for live tv? Technically I could access these on my phone or lap top - even my trusty old Kindle so is it just a question of honour that people don’t cheat?

I know they say they’ll send a detector van around or an ‘enforcement officer but Ivrarely watch anything new on the television - just old films.

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
    • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
    • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
    • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
    This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Just buy a license.
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
    This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Just buy a license.
    Detector vans are a myth - just vans with "Detector" on the side :rotfl:
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 January 2020 at 2:32PM
    sevenhills wrote: »

Just buy a license.

Presumably you are referring to the second bullet-point? This is the danger in their mis-use of the word "live". What they are referring to is simultaneous streaming of broadcast TV channels.

The OP's planned usage of Now TV for catch-up doesn't require a TV Licence. Likewise the "old films" if they are commercial catch-up or DVDs.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite

I'm surprised people actually think there are detector vans :rotfl: ... how exactly do you think they would work?
  • Takmon wrote: »
    I'm surprised people actually think there are detector vans :rotfl: ... how exactly do you think they would work?
    There is a highly sophisticated technology that works for CRT televisions, it was used in cold war espionage by various countries secret services who had vans that would park near embassies to obtain a picture of what was on computer monitor screens, which lead to the screens being placed in lead lined housings.

There is another more basic technology that could detect the emissions from a CRT to simply show one is being used nearby and the direction, but not what was being watched. That became less useful once CRT computer monitors became widespread in domestic properties, and even less useful nowadays as LCD/LED screens don't have the same level of EM emissions that CRTs do.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you don't intend to watch live as shown TV or iPlayer then dump the licence. You can keep the aerial connected to use the radio stations, or disconnect it and use the browser of the smart TV for radio.
    Someone please tell me what money is
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport