First time buyer help

My 20 year old daughter is looking at buying her first house , she has savings in the help to buy ISA. My question is she is looking at a flat which has home report value of £60000. We are in Scotland . It has a reduced price and is expected to sell around £53000. Is she still expected to put down deposit of £6000 even although there is already equity in the flat . I was hoping as she would pay less than market value she might get away with paying less . It’s come when she is couple thousand short . She has enough to pay the 10% in that she has £6 but doesn’t have enough to pay solicitors fees and buy furniture . She doesn’t want to take loan from family as she has budgeted fir everything . Thanks for any advice
I have never met a calorie yet I didn't like!!

Comments

• Surely the equity of the current owner doesn't come into it? If it sells for 53k the a 10% deposit is 5.3k ?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
  • denise38
    denise38 Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That’s what I don’t know as the flat is valued and has home report of £60 k so normally you would have deposit of 10% and mortgage would be £54 . The LTV paying £53 would already be at less than 90% of the flats value . I haven’t had to deal with mortgages in a while as always had large deposit from selling and buying larger property . She could put down £5300 which would be 10 % of selling but would leave her shirt for furnishing and fees. I could lend money but she won’t have that . It’s come too early needed another 4 months of savings to have the full whack and be totally independent . I am hoping that I could even gift her part of her fees . Can’t help much more as already gifted car money to other daughter rather than a loan and she is paying back .
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    denise38 wrote: »
    My 20 year old daughter is looking at buying her first house , she has savings in the help to buy ISA. My question is she is looking at a flat which has home report value of £60000. We are in Scotland . It has a reduced price and is expected to sell around £53000. Is she still expected to put down deposit of £6000 even although there is already equity in the flat .
    The lender will always use the lower of the actual selling price and the valuation (they take the view that the price actually achieved on the open market is a safer indicator of the true value than the HR surveyor's guess) - so it would be £53k used as the value for calculating LTV.
  • denise38
    denise38 Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you that’s what I wasn’t sure of with not being up on what’s going on .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure