Who pays when architect makes an error ?

Hi, hope someone can advise?
Sooo construction on a renovation/extension started this week to my property and it was quickly realised on day one that the architects plans are incorrect. The extension part is shown as a certain length that in reality will cover part of an existing french door from my sons bedroom, instead of finishing just before it. After speaking with the structural engineers (we are having a lot of steels put in), architects etc the easiest solution all round would be to continue with this measurement, changing the french doors for a single one. But obviously there is a cost for a new door and additional work to brick the wall up which the architect has point blank refused to contribute towards. Our budget is TIGHT and I feel that the architect is at fault. There were 3 instances in the planning stages where different members from the architects came back to remeasure the inside of the property as it wasn’t adding up, so guessing that nobody thought to check the external space. Any advise on who is liable and how I go about this would be most welcome. X

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What’s the disclaimer on the drawings say?

Is it a real Architect? ie a member of ARB and RIBA
  • You are liable. Its not clear to me what you have lost?
    If you knew about the clash with the french doors originally what would you have decided to do. Probably the same as what you are doing now? You could have reduced the extension length to suit but you want the maximum extension. Why would the architect contribute to this?
  • Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The original drawings show the extension finishing before the french doors. The additional work to remove, replace with a normal door and make good the brickwork etc is all unexpected additional cost.
  • Sorry if I wasn’t clear. The original drawings show the extension finishing before the french doors. The additional work to remove, replace with a normal door and make good the brickwork etc is all unexpected additional cost.

But why couldn't you still build before the french doors now. Just because the architect showed more doesn't mean you have to build to that depth. I am sure when the error was made clear to the architect they could have updated the drawing and shown the extension only going up to the french doors.

I imagine what has happened is that to stay behind the french doors your extension would be smaller but you want the larger extension.

My point still stands - what would have been different to where you are now if you knew the correct position of the doors from day one?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Has the architect shown the existing walls and existing windows and doors on their drawing correctly? If they have not then the architect might be liable. I say "might" as it depends on disclaimers and when the problem was notified to the architect.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Most architects and building firms will ask you to sign off drawings before work commences handing liability over to you.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    But why couldn't you still build before the french doors now. Just because the architect showed more doesn't mean you have to build to that depth. I am sure when the error was made clear to the architect they could have updated the drawing and shown the extension only going up to the french doors.

I imagine what has happened is that to stay behind the french doors your extension would be smaller but you want the larger extension.

My point still stands - what would have been different to where you are now if you knew the correct position of the doors from day one?

The OP states:
    After speaking with the structural engineers (we are having a lot of steels put in), architects etc the easiest solution all round would be to continue with this measurement, changing the french doors for a single one.

I assumed from this that work had begun/materials had been purchased to the specifications given before the error was noticed and that the two options - of a smaller extension or amended plans - had been discussed by all parties with a consensus that the most viable/cost effective option at this stage was to change the door.

It might be helpful for the OP to clarify when/how the issue came to light and why a seemingly simple correction to the plans was not the most viable/cost effective option?

That would help to identify liability - especially if the architect is of the view the plans could be amended but the other professions are resistant - which could explain why the architect would be denying responsibility for any associated costs.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • NewShadow wrote: »
    The OP states:
    It might be helpful for the OP to clarify when/how the issue came to light and why a seemingly simple correction to the plans was not the most viable/cost effective option?

The OP has already stated that the issue came to light to the builder on day one. I cant imagine even the most efficient builder would be ordering materials before starting on site.

As this issue came to light on day one I would imagine the architect would have informed the client and builder of both options of either encroaching the door or not (the OP has confirmed this). The OP has decided to go with the encroachment.

These options would be the same if the correct position was shown from the start?
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 January 2020 at 10:24PM
    The OP has already stated that the issue came to light to the builder on day one. I cant imagine even the most efficient builder would be ordering materials before starting on site.

As this issue came to light on day one I would imagine the architect would have informed the client and builder of both options of either encroaching the door or not (the OP has confirmed this). The OP has decided to go with the encroachment.

These options would be the same if the correct position was shown from the start?

I don't disagree that the timings/scenario you present is plausible given the timescales for most building work - hence:
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure