Will I be put on UC if I move house?

Good afternoon.
Can anyone help me pls.

I'm on WTC only and was wondering if I will get put on universal credit if I move house. Googled it but getting conflicting answers.
Thank you

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Will you be needing claim housing costs? If so, Will you be moving council areas? Do you or have you recently received severe disability premium?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Moving house does not affect your WTC at all.
    What will require a change is if you are claiming Housing Benefit, move into a different local authority and your existing award does not include a Severe disability Premium.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • I'm selling my house , downsizing and moving into a flat which I own so no housing claim will be made.
    A little worried that after I sell my house I will have some money which I need to invest. I don't know how that would be perceived on WTC
    Thank you
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm selling my house , downsizing and moving into a flat which I own so no housing claim will be made.
    A little worried that after I sell my house I will have some money which I need to invest. I don't know how that would be perceived on WTC
    Thank you

This will not affect your WTC claim as no claim for housing costs are involved. You will simply need to report a change of address to Tax Credits.

Having capital does not affect a Tax Credits claim, but i will be taken into account when you are eventually migrated to Universal Credit (depending on the rules at the time, it may be disregarded for a period)
  • NedS wrote: »
    This will not affect your WTC claim as no claim for housing costs are involved. You will simply need to report a change of address to Tax Credits.

Having capital does not affect a Tax Credits claim, but i will be taken into account when you are eventually migrated to Universal Credit (depending on the rules at the time, it may be disregarded for a period)

Thank you so much.....much appreciated
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    NedS wrote: »

Not quite right...………….

How savings affect Tax Credits
    If you are getting Working or Child Tax Credits, only taxable income is taken into account, so you might be able to claim tax credits, regardless of the amount of money you have in savings.
    However, the interest you earn from savings is classed as income. Any income from savings over £300 will be taken into account and will affect how much you get.
    Find out more about claiming Tax Credits.
    How your savings are affected if you move from Tax Credits to Universal Credit
    The government is proposing if you have over £16,000 in savings, you would normally not qualify for Universal Credit. But, if you’re moving from Tax Credits to Universal Credit, anything you have over the £16,000 limit will be disregarded for 12 months from the point you move to Universal Credit. After 12 months, the normal rules apply. Final details are yet to be confirmed.
  • Can anyone tell me pls if I would be put on UC if I were to change jobs please?
    Thank you
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can anyone tell me pls if I would be put on UC if I were to change jobs please?
    Thank you

Would you still be entitled to working tax credits if you changed jobs? Would you still meet the hours and income threshold needed?

In general terms if you still qualify for working tax credit then you can remain on WTC or you can choose to go onto Universal Credit.

https://www.southampton.gov.uk/benefits-welfare/benefits-advice/universal-credit/trigger-universal-credit.aspx

Because it appears you will have savings you may not be eligible for UC - over £16K = no Universal Credit.

You can try a benefits calculator re: the Universal Credit - https://www.entitledto.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure