Sky Q

Options
If you have an eighteen month contract with Sky and after 12months they hike up the price, can you cancel the contract. I ask as in their T&Cs they state that they can increase the fee by up to 10% while you are in contract and it seems you cannot cancel.

Surely this is an Unfair Term and also contrary to current legislation as they are doing a workaround? Seems pointless agreeing to a long term contract with any organisation if they have this stipulation in a contract.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your contract is to stay with Sky for 18 months, and the T&Cs specifically state that they can increase prices by up to 10% once throughout that 18 month period, nowhere does it say the price will remain the same over 18 months.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Surfer wrote: »
    If you have an eighteen month contract with Sky and after 12months they hike up the price, can you cancel the contract. I ask as in their T&Cs they state that they can increase the fee by up to 10% while you are in contract and it seems you cannot cancel.

Surely this is an Unfair Term and also contrary to current legislation as they are doing a workaround? Seems pointless agreeing to a long term contract with any organisation if they have this stipulation in a contract.

Why ask the question and then answer it yourself?

What 'contrary to current legislation' do you think applies here?
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Your contract is to stay with Sky for 18 months, and the T&Cs specifically state that they can increase prices by up to 10% once throughout that 18 month period, nowhere does it say the price will remain the same over 18 months.

I am aware of the above and wondering what is the point in having legislation to prevent it and allowing you to cancel your contract when Sky simply bypass the legislation by adding in the clause?

In essence this mean any organisation can do the same whether utilities, telecommunications etc.
    At present we do not have a contract with Sky, but this was mentioned to us when making inquiries.
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Why ask the question and then answer it yourself?

What 'contrary to current legislation' do you think applies here?

I knew I would be wasting my time asking any question on this forum!
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wondering what is the point in having legislation to prevent it

Prevent in-contract price rises of up to 10%?

What legislation is that? You need to name it.

Also, you'll call this unhelpful,but you signed that contract 12 months ago without calling it unfair.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am aware of the above and wondering what is the point in having legislation to prevent it and allowing you to cancel your contract when Sky simply bypass the legislation by adding in the clause?

In essence this mean any organisation can do the same whether utilities, telecommunications etc.
    At present we do not have a contract with Sky, but this was mentioned to us when making inquiries.

So you don't even have a contract with Sky? It's simple then, just don't sign up.

We're still waiting to hear what legislation you're quoting?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    Options

So don't sign up then. Simples. Sky could introduce a clause that says you have to wear underpants on your head while watching Sky TV, that doesn't automatically make it unfair.

If you think the 10% clause is an ability to "bypass the legislation" of which you speak, then give us the appropriate name of the act and a subection, and we'll go onto legislation.gov.uk and see for ourselves.
  • Maxrara
    Maxrara Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry but I can see the point that Surfer is making here, its about budget control and value. You sign the contract with a view that the price is fixed (bit like with the energy providers), if the provider can change the price upwards of 10% it kind of changes the playing field; imagine your energy company having this clause inserted in their contracts? Sky are within their rights to make this a condition but it might not sit well with a lot of people, especially when there is a lot of competition within the media sector. Personally, I think Surfer was having a good rant rather than saying it was legally wrong - morally perhaps::)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    But you sign a contract that says we reserve the right to raise prices within the duration of the contract .
    Simply don't join services that have those terms .
  • steph2901
    Options
    They put the price up for me within the 18 months.  I've just cancelled my TV package as 18 months is up now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure