eurocamp cancelled sun holidays booking

Options
i stayed up til 1.40 am to take advantage of the sun holidays, and was over the moon when i was got the confirmation and was able to book a holiday in italy at the end if August. After we received confirmation We booked flights totalling to around £700. This morning I have received an e mail from eurocamp advising me that there has been an overbooking issue and they have to cancel the eurocamp booking. I am absolutely fuming and dont know how I legally stand. They said it was Green bank who would need to be contacted but they are standing by this saying it was first come first served even though i explained that i booked this 5 minutes after the code was released and there was availability still showing the following day.
Please help!(we also havent taken out insurance)

Comments

• Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you receive an actual confirmation of your holiday booking from Eurocamp or was it a confirmation of a request to book?

If the former, I would look over the terms and conditions on their website to see if this is covered.
  • Fshorty30
    Options
    no, we only received the confirmation e mail from the sun holidays not eurocamp
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that over 3000 of these have been cancelled by Greenbank/Eurocamp as they failed to put any cap on The Sun bookings when they went live and there should have been a very limited allocation.

I assume you have been offered £25 as a goodwill gesture for their mistake? This seems to be what everyone else seems to have received.

I’m not entirely sure where you stand legally, the email you get from The Sun is slightly misleading as the subject states ‘holiday booking’ and the text of the email says ‘we’ve made your holiday booking’. However the T&Cs online are slightly different and suggest this is merely an application:
    Holidays offered are organised by independent parks and operators. Your contract will be with the owner or operator of your holiday park and comes into effect when a holiday confirmation has been issued to you. The party with whom you have your holiday contract accepts liability only for the negligent acts and/or omissions of its employees.
    These terms and conditions and How to Book apply to all holidays booked through this offer and, together with the standard conditions of the holiday park or park operator, form the basis of your contract with your holiday park or park operator and theirs with you. This offer is subject to availability. Not all parks available on all dates. Your signed or online checked application is your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this offer.

It’s really disappointing that such a huge error could have happened, I’ve booked these holidays for many many years and never known anything like it.
  • Westin
    Options
    Fshorty30 wrote: »
    no, we only received the confirmation e mail from the sun holidays not eurocamp

Can you let us know the exact wording of the ‘confirmation’ as I think this will play a part in the replies. A confirmation of a booking request, a confirmation of request, confirmation offer application- will be different from a confirmation of a holiday booking.
  • Fshorty30
    Options
    this is e mail i got from the sun( ive anoymonised my details)

Dear Mrs x
    We've made your holiday booking!
    Booking Reference
    Holiday Date
    Friday 10 July, 2020 for 7 nights
    Holiday Park-
    Holiday Area
    40 - Venetian Coast
    Accommodation
    COMFORT
    Party Size
    Accommodation Cost
    £134.00 (£33.50 per person including cost of Peak Date Supplement)
    Booking Fee
    £2.80
    Amount Paid
    £136.80 (Paid Sunday 12 January, 2020 @ 01:22:04)
    Service Charge*
    : £52.50 (£7.50 pupn)
    Facilities Passes*
    : FREE
    Total Holiday Cost
    : £189.30
    * These will be invoiced direct by the holiday park with your accommodation confirmation. Entertainment/Clubroom passes are optional and can be deducted.

A tourist tax of £1.35 per party per night applies at some European parks. More details will be shown on your park confirmation..
    You will receive your holiday confirmation direct from the holiday park operator within 21 days.
    Please do not contact your holiday park operator until you have received your holiday confirmation.

If you have not heard anything within 21 days, please call your park operator direct on 01606 787556.
  • tommy33
    Options
    Same situation ..... emails are very misleading and second email reads as if confirmation.... i have passed this on to a solicitor i have been misled in what appears to be breach of contract on the holiday providers part. After receiving the second email from the Sun I took that as confirmation. The lady on the phone from Greenbank who i have requested a recording of the call from told me that it was a case of first come first serve for the over sold holidays. Note the time of my payment 12:44AM on the Sunday so i must have been in the first few to book!!!.
    Misselling, Misleading, Breach of contract, I am now faced with £1000 more to stay at the same park for these dates

First Email:
    CONFIRMATION OF HOLIDAY PAYMENT ONLY.

This is to confirm that payment for your holiday booking has been made successfully.

THIS IS NOT CONFIRMATION OF YOUR HOLIDAY BOOKING. You will receive a separate e-mail confirming your holiday booking details.

Thank you for your payment.

Second Email
    Dear Mr xxxxx

Lead Name

Mr xxxxx

Booking Reference

10xxxx

Holiday Date

Holiday Park

277 - Altomincio Family Park

Holiday Area

39 - Italian Lakes

Accommodation

COMFORT

Party Size

Accommodation Cost

Booking Fee

£2.80

Amount Paid

£136.80 (Paid Sunday 12 January, 2020 @ 00:44:29)

Service Charge*

Facilities Passes*

Total Holiday Cost

* These will be invoiced direct by the holiday park with your accommodation confirmation. Entertainment/Clubroom passes are optional and can be deducted.

A tourist tax of £1.35 per party per night applies at some European parks. More details will be shown on your park confirmation.

We note that you have not booked a ferry crossing with your holiday. Click below to view and book our great ferry crossing deals online and save up to 60% on regular fares.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    You will receive your holiday confirmation direct from the holiday park operator within 21 days.

That looks a slam dunk that confirmation was still to be given.
  • Westin
    Options
    Fshorty30 wrote: »
    this is e mail i got from the sun( ive anoymonised my details)

Dear Mrs x
    Booking Reference
    Holiday Date
    Holiday Park-
    Holiday Area
    40 - Venetian Coast
    Accommodation
    COMFORT
    Party Size
    Accommodation Cost
    Booking Fee
    £2.80
    Amount Paid
    £136.80 (Paid Sunday 12 January, 2020 @ 01:22:04)
    Service Charge*
    Facilities Passes*
    Total Holiday Cost

A tourist tax of £1.35 per party per night applies at some European parks. More details will be shown on your park confirmation..
    Please do not contact your holiday park operator until you have received your holiday confirmation.

If you have not heard anything within 21 days, please call your park operator direct on 01606 787556.

I think this is the point and potentially their get out. This would indicate that confirmation of the holiday arrangements and booking has not actually been made by Eurocamp. The first email (from the Sun?) was more confirming your holiday booking request.

What a mess and sorry that you have been caught in this. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and perhaps it would have been wise not to book other elements of your trip until later on when your holiday had been confirmed by Eurocamp, but I can see the confusion. I’d expect and hope that the Sun will get some push back on this mess from others if as reported it was a wide spread issue.
  • tommy33
    Options
    My flights i booked went up by £250 so if i hadn't of booked them i would have been paying more.... which is why i booked them as I took the second email as confirmation
  • Fshorty30
    Options
    thanks and appreciate your advice although we also booked flights after the sun confirmation to prevent flight the flight prices to increase. Wont be doing that again, although in general dont think ill be booking a sun holiday again after this amount of stress!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure