Motoring MoneySaving Checklist discussion

Options
Former_MSE_Rose
Former_MSE_Rose Posts: 128 Forumite
edited 6 February 2013 at 12:39PM in Motoring
This thread is specifically to discuss the

Motoring MoneySaving Checklist

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks!

Comments

• lone_avenger
    Options
    Anyone been ripped off by Kwikfit?
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone been ripped off by Kwikfit?

Every KF customer. However, I don't think this is what this thread is about...
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    P - petrol (or diesel)

E - electric (as in lights)

T - tyres (pressure, tread and condition)

R - road view (as in screen wash, wipers etc)

O - oil level

L - levels of other fluids.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 September 2011 at 10:17PM
    Options
    Some of the advice in this article is pretty misleading that I felt I had to point it out.

Regarding the free MOT coverage for up to a month if you get the MOT a month early; you're still covered until the same end date whether you get the MOT on expiry or a month earlier. Yes you're better getting a MOT within the month of it running out to maximise the time versus getting it done even earlier, but since it's not common practice to get an MOT done more than a couple of weeks early it's not really a money saving tip.
    To make it clearer you should be saying something along the lines of: Don't renew your MOT too early; if you renew your MOT more than a month before your MOT is due, it's valid a year from the test, but if you renew within a month of the renewal it's valid a year from the origional renewal.

Regarding saving fuel by filling up more regularly; yes ok, you're saving about a Kg of load for each litre you don't fill up, but the marginal economy savings could be completely wiped out by having to fuel up more often if you need to queue up more or have to go out of your way to get fuel. You'd save more money in fuel by only filling up as you're passing a petrol station anyway, rather than making a specific trip to it.
    It's also worth noting that it might not be worth travelling miles out of the way to say pennies on fuel; if you travel far enough you risk wasting more money on fuel getting to the petrol station and back then you save by getting 1p/l discount on fuel.

One thing I was told was that as the fuel is more dense when it's colder, the cheapest time to fill up is at night or colder days. The difference is probably negligable, but then so is only driving about on a quarter tank.

Edit: For people commuting to work it's also worth considering if there are any car pooling opportunities available (then you can split the fuel and parking costs), or if there are any suitable park and ride schemes (where you park on the outskirts of a city and get a bus/train/subway into town, where you save on fuel, parking and hassle).
  • General_Mayhem
    Options
    4 - Don't buy premium fuels for standard cars.

This is misleading - Premium fuels can deliver some significant (10-20%) fuel economy savings, but you have to understand how to get the benefit. There are two parts to Premium fuels which may effect your engine:
    1. Octane Number, or RON. This is the 95, 97 etc rating of the fuel, and describes how quickly it burns. Generally your car engine is tuned to a particular fuel, and this is where the "unless you have a sports car" in the tips come from. But it is not quite as simple as that. If you have a car with variable valve timing (variously called VVT, SVT, VVA, VTEC, Multiair by different manufacturers, and I'm sure there are more), your car monitors how the fuel burns, and will therefore make the most of whatever fuel you feed it. If you have a "normal" engine in a "normal" car, it will be tuned to RON 95 and there is no benefit from the higher octane fuel. If you have a sportier "normal" engine tuned to RON97+ it may "pink" on RON 95 fuel, and will deliver better economy (and not ruin you catalytic converter) on RON 97+

2. Detergents. The new(ish) wave of "branded" fuels like BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power etc differ from bog standard RON 98 fuel by the addition of detergents that help clean your engine. These help remove sooty and oily deposits that build up in your engine, and are what leads to most people noticing a big improvement after trying out the new premium fuels. This is nothing new, products like RedEx etc have been around for donkey's years and do the same thing. The key here is that you only really need to use it every 10 or so fills to get the benefit, as the deposits do take time to build up.

The long and the short of it is that for most cars, it is probably worth filling up with premium fuel every 10 or so tanks, and for cars that can benefit from higher octane fuel, it may be worth it all the time.
  • longplay
    Options
    Don't bother with eBay and Amazon for parts, too risky and time-consuming, plus postage costs.

Best place for cheap parts?* Head to your local motor factor.

I'm constantly amazed people are unaware that motor factors exist. These are the people who supply the parts to the garages who work on your car. Most of them are happy to take over-the-counter trade, they're staffed by experts who can help you get the right part (and backed up by vast computerised catalog systems, all they usually need is your reg and, sometimes, an idea of what the part looks like).

If nothing else, they can save you money on the things you can still fit yourself (batteries, wiper blades, bulbs, etc) as well as all the fluids you pour in/on (washer fluid, oil, anti-freeze, de-icer).

A quick web search will turn up plenty in any town.

* Yes, I'm biased, I work for one.
  • Muhsen2
    Options
    What's anti pollution fault in my peugeot 207
  • Muhsen2
    Options
    Muhsen2;52090711]What's anti pollution fault in my peugeot 207
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=52204855&posted=1#post52204855

This is something to be looked at,. relevant to point 34.

New rules for driving in France this year.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • jdifa
    jdifa Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Join the Institute of advanced motorists. You will save on wear and tear and insurance is considerably lower cost as the insurerrecognises the lower risk from advanced drivers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure