We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Zafiro do cucumber and courgette freeze ok? I was thinking about trying to dehydrate the courgette but didn't think I could keep the cucs apart from maybe pickling a few.

I have a couple of courgettes already growing and lots of flowers so I better order a dehydrator!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    baggins11 wrote: »
    Zafiro do cucumber and courgette freeze ok? I was thinking about trying to dehydrate the courgette but didn't think I could keep the cucs apart from maybe pickling a few.

I have a couple of courgettes already growing and lots of flowers so I better order a dehydrator!

I can't answer about cucumbers, but I grate raw courgettes, then freeze them in 250g bags. The grated courgette gets added to minced beef dishes (as padding) or defrosted and used for Nigella Lawson's Courgette Cake.

Defrosted, raw courgette is mushy and watery. However, if you roast it first, it tends to maintain its texture and not turn to mush. (To roast: halve or quarter lengthwise, toss in olive oil and bake for 30-40 minutes in a preheated oven at 200C.)

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    That sounds really good CAGCGirl especially about the schools. Finding an area with a good school and spaces was by far my biggest stumbling block when I looked at areas. It will give you so much more flexibility.

He's not educated in a school so we could go anywhere without having to give that aspect of life much thought... But obviously considering meeting his needs in other ways. Home education rocks!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How are the bees SuffolkLass?

Few days off from the plot here.
    Operation Plant iD continues.

Got some healthy looking celery on the go, which pleases me.
    Nervous about next trip up to see the seedlings and what's been eaten\destroyed.

10 herb plants are waiting by the backdoor for their trip. Need some compost first to add to the intended herb bed. Quite pleased I managed to source some more 'out there's herbs than the usual. I've got bergamot, curry plant, chamomile and fennel - as well as cotton lavender, thyme
    , lemon thyme, marjoram, oregano and golden sage. For £2 each I was pleased with the variety.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Baggins11 I was unsure what to do with the surplus of cucs and courgettes last year so froze them with the intention of adding them to stews or making soup - none of which I did. I agree that once defrosted they are a mushy mess so I think the chickens are in for a treat as they are my mini-dustbins.
    This year I've one cucumber plant, one green courgette plus two yellow ones, that should be enough for us.

Yesterday I wasted loads of time - I just couldn't be bothered until the evening and it had cooled down. Planted 25 sweetcorn under cover, sowed more mangetout for continuity and watered.

I sat in the greenhouse for ages planning where everything needs to go not just veg/herbs but I've over 500 perennials and bedding plants all sown from seed that need homes.

Weather a lot cooler today, I'll probably have more energy to do some outdoor things.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Good to hear everyone has been busy. I had a few days off to recharge my batteries, but today: Take delivery of five bags of bark chippings, tidy up the tomatoes in the greenhouses (further pinching out, removing the Xmas Grape which hasn't germinated, putting the last remaining Nimbus in growbags) then ---finally--- putting together some compost for alpines for Mrs Un. I might also try repotting an Orchid I found in Homebase for 75p, I dutifully googled growing media for Orchids and now I have a small tub of stuff that looks like it came out of the hoover. Tonight is going to be neither FA Cup, nor Eurovision, but Gareth Edwards' remake of Godzilla, which I'm really looking forward to (I'd better not fall asleep)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • baggins11
    Unrecordings let us know what Godzilla is like. I was going to book it but my son said he hadn't enjoyed the first. The second gets good reviews though i think.

We take Eurovision very seriously in this house (apart from my OH who despairs of us).

Good luck with the bargain orchid. Its the one houseplant I do well with. I think they thrive on my general neglect - had them years and they keep coming back into flower.

Today I shall be mainly ivy wrangling..
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Unrecordings let us know what Godzilla is like. I was going to book it but my son said he hadn't enjoyed the first. The second gets good reviews though i think.

We take Eurovision very seriously in this house (apart from my OH who despairs of us).

Good luck with the bargain orchid. Its the one houseplant I do well with. I think they thrive on my general neglect - had them years and they keep coming back into flower.

Today I shall be mainly ivy wrangling..

This 2014 version is supposed to be more of a reboot in keeping with the original 1950's Toho/Japanese version, and nothing to do with that remake with Matthew Broderick (though I liked Jean Reno in it)

Back on Topic:
    Ivy Wrangling. Think I've read one of her whodunnits "The Insidious Vine"
    :beer:

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • baggins11
    LOL "The Insidious Vine"!

When we first moved here my OH was still working away so I was home alone getting moved in. I had a conversation over the phone with him about how Ivy is trying to take over and its going to become a real problem.

He was obviously listening to me as well as he usually does as the next conversation it had become apparent he thought I had a fall out with a neighbour. Now every time I say I am battling Ivy he makes a joke about being kind to neighbours.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm finally back home for long enough to make it reasonable to plant some seedlings: so it's kale, and something else, not sure what :) I *need* to buy a bay plant, have I missed out, they've been and gone? I've been asking for ages, and I saw one in London last month but couldn't carry it home.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport