Updated Cheap Car Insurance guide - new system

Options

Comments

• norfolkhels
    Options
    Would just like to say how helpful I've found the guide. My renewal quote had jumped from low £200s to mid £500s so read the guide and felt more confident to try the comparison sites. Ended up saving £58 on my broker's alternative quote. A bit reluctant to leave my broker whom I can go and see for a more 'virtual' seeming provider but the saving swayed me and all seems well so far.
  • supremetwo
    Options
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

Use this MSE blagged Age UK* link to buy a car insurance policy by 11.59pm on 5 January and receive a £60 Amazon voucher.

Anyone else tried this?

My quote was £178 more than the lower ones via the other usual sources and £100 up on the average.
  • viw02
    Options
    Just wanted to share that i am with Sheila's wheels and have been for several years. Their renewal quote was £429. I went through confused.com which quoted me £299. So i phoned sheila's wheels and pointed this out, did the 'disappointed' & 'loyal customer' speech (not technically haggling! ). They sorted out a few things that weren't on the comparison site and offered me £275 😆
    Happy New Year!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    viw02 wrote: »
    Just wanted to share that i am with Sheila's wheels and have been for several years. Their renewal quote was £429. I went through confused.com which quoted me £299. So i phoned sheila's wheels and pointed this out, did the 'disappointed' & 'loyal customer' speech (not technically haggling! ). They sorted out a few things that weren't on the comparison site and offered me £275 😆
    Happy New Year!
    Remember to use Quidco (or similar) for maximum benefit (cashback)
  • murphydavid
    Options
    Trying to decide if I should go for the optional protected no claims bonus and or Legal cover?
    If I have fully comp insurance only and I am involved in an accident caused by someone else do I loose my no claims bonus?
    ie I'd rather not get involved in the legal stuff so I would report the accident to my insurance company and let them deal with it. If the accident was caused by someone else no doubt their insurance would cover all the costs but would my company still take away my no claims bonus?
    If so could I prevent this by making a claim on my legal cover to pursue the culpable party or would this still result in loss of no claims bonus?
    I realize legal cover is mainly to claim for related uninsured losses due to an accident caused by someone else but does it also have the function of protecting my no claims bonus.
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Trying to decide if I should go for the optional protected no claims bonus and or Legal cover?
    If I have fully comp insurance only and I am involved in an accident caused by someone else do I loose my no claims bonus?
    ie I'd rather not get involved in the legal stuff so I would report the accident to my insurance company and let them deal with it. If the accident was caused by someone else no doubt their insurance would cover all the costs but would my company still take away my no claims bonus?
    If so could I prevent this by making a claim on my legal cover to pursue the culpable party or would this still result in loss of no claims bonus?
    I realize legal cover is mainly to claim for related uninsured losses due to an accident caused by someone else but does it also have the function of protecting my no claims bonus.

Not sure if you are still wanting to know the answer - but if the claim was a non-fault, you shouldn't lose your no-claims. Talk with the insurance provider and ensure that you have all the details with you as they will want to know the costs and the end result of the claim.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have tried to educate my kids about finance and pass on tips I have learned here. My son's car insurance was up for renewal, one year experience and hoping for a cheaper quote than last year but it was only slightly cheaper than last year so he did what I had taught him and saved almost £1,000. How's that for a saving. Thanks for the advice.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Parm
    Parm Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

The cheap car insurance guide currently has a £60 voucher deal for Churchill.

When you follow the link, the Churchill website asks you to enter your name, email address and code. I must be missing something somewhere, but I can't seem to find any reference to what we should enter as the code? The field can't be left blank, either.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • MSE_Tony
    MSE_Tony Posts: 100 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Parm,

The guide has been updated to reflect the code needed.
  • Lil-83
    Lil-83 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I just want to say thank you for the car insurance information and tool.
    I kid you not Ive cut my bill from £159.99 per month to £63 per month! (and that's with £5 of added extras which I chose because I saved so much). Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
    £37000 (2014), £10,000 (2018)- Here's hoping I reach a Zero for Dec 2019!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback