Spouse VISA extortion

Hi All,

Bit about me: I am 28 have a decent job, wife and a 5 month old son. We have a house with a 35 year mortgage.

My wife is Malaysian, she studied here and has now lived in the UK for around 7 years. She is coming up for her 2nd round of renewing her spouse visa which will last another 2.5 years after which I will have to pay again. I was looking at the cost for this round and it now £3000.

This is seriously getting ridiculous as it is going to cost us almost £10k just so we can be together. We are already tight on money as we try and pay off our mortgage, look after our son and try to put something into our pension. It really seems that the UK government is punishing me for marrying someone out of the UK.

I honestly feel this is unlawful and discrimination. What do you guys think? I really want to somehow take this further. I mean currently in society we already have enough going on with without this kicking us down more.

Sorry maybe i'm here to vent but I honestly think this is unfair and cannot hold up.

Comments

• It may seem unfair but it is not discrimination (rules exist for all immigrants except for those from the EU, which of course will probably change soon) and it is certainly not unlawful, by definition as it is the law.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Yea, might have taken it too far it just seems crazy that the costs for the paper work are around 150 not 3k....
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there any reason why she can't apply for British Citizenship - simply don't know anything about it but just wondering.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It is possible that as the family member of an EU citizen she might have the automatic right to live in the UK with merely a residence card rather than needing to apply for a visa. Or has she fewer rights than EU nationals' spouses because of the fact you're a UK citizen? Yes, this is actually a thing... when I lived in Finland as the spouse of a Finnish citizen we had to provide evidence of income, while EU immigrants do not have this requirement! This is because EU countries are forced to follow EU rules for EU immigrants, but are allowed to be jerks to their own citizens. So yes, it's discrimination if they treat you less favourably than an immigrant. And it feels abysmal I can tell you. You have my sympathies, Rich9573.

Perhaps worth checking with the home office about her 'EU family members' rights just in case. Mention that she has the right as a family member of an EU citizen to live here and ask why she cannot just go down the EU residence permit route. Nothing to lose.
  • Thanks Atypi Gal. Glad its not just us who feels this way. Honestly not many people experience it but it really is horrible. I'll give it a shot asking them about a residence card but with Brexit it might not work :/ Although I have nothing to lose. I just really wish they lowered there prices to something reasonable.

To answer about he becoming a British Citizenship she needs a PR first and then she can apply for it which has another cost.
  • Atypi_Gal wrote: »
    It is possible that as the family member of an EU citizen she might have the automatic right to live in the UK with merely a residence card rather than needing to apply for a visa. Or has she fewer rights than EU nationals' spouses because of the fact you're a UK citizen? Yes, this is actually a thing... when I lived in Finland as the spouse of a Finnish citizen we had to provide evidence of income, while EU immigrants do not have this requirement! This is because EU countries are forced to follow EU rules for EU immigrants, but are allowed to be jerks to their own citizens. So yes, it's discrimination if they treat you less favourably than an immigrant. And it feels abysmal I can tell you. You have my sympathies, Rich9573.

Perhaps worth checking with the home office about her 'EU family members' rights just in case. Mention that she has the right as a family member of an EU citizen to live here and ask why she cannot just go down the EU residence permit route. Nothing to lose.

Doesn't apply to spouses of British citizens in the U.K. unless they first reside in another EU country exercising treaty rights.
  • So guess I'm trapped and have to go through the process......Tbh with Brexit on the horizon it might have not been the best method anyway.

Is there anyway we can raise awareness about this system being completely unfair?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes via your local MPs clinic .
  • Thanks I've sent them a letter.

I'll keep you updated on what they say.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's just the way it is! You can contact your MP to say how unfair you think the charges are, but unless lots of other people speak up it's not going to make much difference.

My sister in law has gone through the same process, she's about to apply for citizenship now. It's cost them so much money, but because they researched into the costs they saved up the money for it.

There's more costs now - the NHS fee (despite her working and paying NI for years!). So these things have increased the costs. It's the Tory government that have put the fees up, possible to discourage immigration to the poorer people (sounds like a Tory thing to me!).

I'd say there's not much you can do except for save up. After the 2.5 years she'll have the leave to remain to pay for - which is even more money.

For a rough guide this youtuber has given the costs of his citizenship:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvzTOmEPYyE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family