Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mozart33
    • By Mozart33 23rd Aug 19, 8:23 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mozart33
    Santander blocked account- help!
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:23 PM
    Santander blocked account- help! 23rd Aug 19 at 8:23 PM
    Hi there, looking for advice from people with similar experiences or knowledge. My husband took out a loan £30k for house related expenses. This was paid from M&S Bank to his Santander current account. We had agreed weíll keep the money in my Barclays account. The day after he tried to transfer the sum and got stopped, he called them and they told him he needed to go to the branch with ID to do transfer there. Which he did today. The transfer did not go through and they told him the accountís been blocked due to ML suspicion. They scanned his passport, took his signature to verify with the one they have on file from when he opened the account. He also gave them the copy of the loan contract which they scanned. The Barclays account is in my name and I also have a Santander account and we have a joint mortgage with them- so they can easily see my details being the same, I mean clearly that heís sending the money to my account not just random personís. I am concerned because Iím going to be out of work in 2 weeks time so wonít have any income and we were meant to transfer all DDs to his account. Can we still do that? And what about DDs that are already set up on his account, or his wages- will all that be allowed in and out? Apparently they told him he canít make transfers but can still go to the bank to take money out with ID and that he can use his card to pay. He did in fact go shopping and his card payment went through fine. Surely this isnít too complicated to resolve with all the facts black on white? Iím just very concerned as I myself will be without income in 2 weeks time.
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 23rd Aug 19, 8:48 PM
    • 5,134 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:48 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:48 PM
    You will just have to let the process rum it's course - it seems like you are able to prove the source of the funds.

Look at it from their point of view - a large sum of money goes into his account which is quickly transferred out (or attempted to be).

For the life of me I can't ser the logic in transferring it to your Barclays. An unneccessary step that has triggered AML enquiry?
    • Mozart33
    • By Mozart33 23rd Aug 19, 9:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mozart33
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:18 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:18 PM
    We had agreed previously that we would manage these funds from that account as they are for specific purposes. So we wanted to separate them from any other accounts we have. I’m wondering, since apparently he’s able to use his debit card, surely they’re not massively concerned? Can he set up DDs for bills from there?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 23rd Aug 19, 9:22 PM
    • 5,134 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:22 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:22 PM
    Only Santander can answer that.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 24th Aug 19, 8:50 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    18cc
    • 24th Aug 19, 8:50 AM
    • 24th Aug 19, 8:50 AM
    in my opinion there is far too much of this going on

at the very least you should (after it has all be resolved) complain to them and ask for substantial compensation

following that i would switch accounts although avoid lloyds they are even worse than santander when it comes to blocking payments
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 24th Aug 19, 11:04 AM
    • 30,983 Posts
    • 19,146 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 24th Aug 19, 11:04 AM
    • 24th Aug 19, 11:04 AM
    For the life of me I can't ser the logic in transferring it to your Barclays. An unneccessary step that has triggered AML enquiry?
    Surely people are entitled to move their cash to any account they wish in order to control management of their affairs?

In this case, one imagines that the transfer was out of the normal pattern so that some algorithm has been triggered to security check the transaction.

I am very surprised that the OP's husband was told

the account’s been blocked due to ML suspicion.
    as I had thought that no such comment should ever be made to the customer?

I imagine that as the husband has all necessary documentation to support any "source of funds" enquiry, the account will not long be blocked.

If it is, I'd be inclined to make a formal complaint.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 24th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    • 10,651 Posts
    • 16,691 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 24th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    • 24th Aug 19, 11:12 AM
    Surely people are entitled to move their cash to any account they wish in order to control management of their affairs?

In this case, one imagines that the transfer was out of the normal pattern so that some algorithm has been triggered to security check the transaction.

I am very surprised that the OP's husband was told

as I had thought that no such comment should ever be made to the customer?

I imagine that as the husband has all necessary documentation to support any "source of funds" enquiry, the account will not long be blocked.

If it is, I'd be inclined to make a formal complaint.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Yep, tipping off the customer is a big no with AML. As with most of these threads we only hear half the story, banks don't hinder their customers accounts for sh1ts and giggles.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 24th Aug 19, 1:26 PM
    • 26,044 Posts
    • 13,226 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 24th Aug 19, 1:26 PM
    • 24th Aug 19, 1:26 PM
    From M&S to Santander and then on again to Barclays - it looks like money laundering (I know from reading on here it is not) but your bank does not have access to here to read what you are doing.

Why not send it in the first place from M&S to Barclays?

You will have to wait until they are satisfied the monies are legit.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 24th Aug 19, 1:56 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    18cc
    • 24th Aug 19, 1:56 PM
    • 24th Aug 19, 1:56 PM
    If santander block a transfer of funds from a source which is a marks and sspecer personal loan then their anti money laundering systems are not fit for purpose.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 24th Aug 19, 2:58 PM
    • 6,250 Posts
    • 4,157 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    If santander block a transfer of funds from a source which is a marks and sspecer personal loan then their anti money laundering systems are not fit for purpose.
    Originally posted by 18cc
    The source was a bank transfer.
    Santander don't know that it was a loan.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 24th Aug 19, 3:33 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    Hi there, looking for advice from people with similar experiences or knowledge. My husband took out a loan £30k for house related expenses. This was paid from M&S Bank to his Santander current account. We had agreed weíll keep the money in my Barclays account. The day after he tried to transfer the sum and got stopped, he called them and they told him he needed to go to the branch with ID to do transfer there. Which he did today. The transfer did not go through and they told him the accountís been blocked due to ML suspicion. They scanned his passport, took his signature to verify with the one they have on file from when he opened the account. He also gave them the copy of the loan contract which they scanned. The Barclays account is in my name and I also have a Santander account and we have a joint mortgage with them- so they can easily see my details being the same, I mean clearly that heís sending the money to my account not just random personís. I am concerned because Iím going to be out of work in 2 weeks time so wonít have any income and we were meant to transfer all DDs to his account. Can we still do that? And what about DDs that are already set up on his account, or his wages- will all that be allowed in and out? Apparently they told him he canít make transfers but can still go to the bank to take money out with ID and that he can use his card to pay. He did in fact go shopping and his card payment went through fine. Surely this isnít too complicated to resolve with all the facts black on white? Iím just very concerned as I myself will be without income in 2 weeks time.
    Originally posted by Mozart33
    Something doesn't add up here, I thought banks aren't allowed by law to tell their customers that?
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 24th Aug 19, 4:10 PM
    • 6,250 Posts
    • 4,157 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Something doesn't add up here, I thought banks aren't allowed by law to tell their customers that?
    Originally posted by deadendwaterfall
    Correct - usually they don't advise the the reason why
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 24th Aug 19, 5:32 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Originally posted by deadendwaterfall
    They are not.

Most providers, including M&S also only loan up to £25k.

It's still the school holidays...
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 24th Aug 19, 6:00 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes Santander can only see that it is a bank transfer in of 30K folowed by a 30K bank transfer out

however this should not trigger money laundering alarms I do it all the time - we all do...

you have a fixed rate bond mature and you decide to move it to a different institution for a better interest rate so the money comes into your current account and immediately sent it off to a new provider

as I said Santander need to sort themselves out

this is all a course assuming it's not a school holiday prank
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 24th Aug 19, 7:28 PM
    • 3,917 Posts
    • 2,858 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Yes Santander can only see that it is a bank transfer in of 30K folowed by a 30K bank transfer out

however this should not trigger money laundering alarms I do it all the time - we all do...
    Originally posted by 18cc
    You & I do it all the time & our accounts don't get frozen, it's when it is a rarity that it arouses suspicion.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • sassy-one
    • By sassy-one 24th Aug 19, 8:03 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    sassy-one
    I smell a rat... you would NOT of been told that the account was blocked due to ML. No. Never. Nope.

More like you know that, maybe because you took a loan out in a ex partners name / ex husband, still had access to an old account of his and thought, I transfer the lot into my own account.

If you are genuine, then the question that screams is why did you not use his account to use the money, transferring what was needed and when, in smaller amounts when required.

There is all too much more to the story you type.
    Life is to short to go on hating someone but there are some people who are pure evil and you are best far away as possible from.
    I've learned you should live every day as your last
    Snowflake <3 Always remembered
    Posted via my iPhone
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 24th Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    • 1,848 Posts
    • 1,577 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Hi there, looking for advice from people with similar experiences or knowledge.....
    Originally posted by Mozart33
    Unlikely you will get any responses from people with similar experiences - they all posted once, got asked awkward questions and then disappeared because they couldn't devise suitable answers!

Could you let me know why you chose to call yourself Mozart33? Was it because the other 32 were already taken?
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 24th Aug 19, 11:28 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    xlnc99
    From M&S to Santander and then on again to Barclays - it looks like money laundering (I know from reading on here it is not) but your bank does not have access to here to read what you are doing.

Why not send it in the first place from M&S to Barclays?

You will have to wait until they are satisfied the monies are legit.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    How on earth does that sound like money laundering? do you even know what money laundering is? I can transfer money to many different accounts as i want as many times as i want. I do hate it when people just offer opinions on matters they do not know anything about.

IVe never heard of anyone trying to launder money through online transfers bank transfers.Fraud yes, but not money laundering.

The reason your account is suspended is due to the large amount. It happens from time to time especially on accounts in which big transfers are not a normal occurrence. That must of flagged it up for security checks. Nothing to worry about

Money Laundering... Goodness Sake.
    • xlnc99
    • By xlnc99 24th Aug 19, 11:35 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    xlnc99
    Here is what i think has happened.
    Scammer transferred some dodgy money into a legitimate persons account. Legitimate person was promised 2 or 3k to transfer the money to another account. Legitimate person did transfer minus his 2 or 3k and the bank have clocked or its been reported and now alarm bells ringing.

Something similar like that...

If that is true then no way out for the legitimate person. CIFAS marker guaranteed and maybe police involved but doubtful, they dont do anything nowdays

However still not money laundering, just fraud
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 25th Aug 19, 8:02 AM
    • 6,250 Posts
    • 4,157 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Yes - money laundering.

A scammer “transferring dodgy money” to a legitimate persons account is money laundering.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,357Posts Today

6,638Users online

Martin's Twitter