EDF Gas smart meter not sending readings

EH75
EH75 Posts: 22 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 19 August 2019 at 2:21PM in Energy
Afternoon.

A few months back we got SMETS2 smart meters installed through EDF. The gas meter has never sent readings, or connected to the IHD. I believe one of the main reasons this can happen is that the gas and electric meters are too far apart. I would be surprised if this was the case in my house, as they are only about 3 metres apart. The IHD can pick up the signal from the electricity meter from the other end of the house, which is significantly further away than the gas meter is. I presume they use the same technology to communicate (zigbee?) so if the electricity meter and hub can connect to the IHD then surely they should be able to connect to a significantly closer gas meter?

I have spoken to EDF on numerous occasions but never managed to get anywhere. They keep telling me they will continue trying to connect remotely and that I can take manual readings in the meantime. If I wanted to take manual readings then I wouldn't have bothered with a smart meter. Surely if the remote fix was going to work it would've done so by now? I suspect I need an engineer to visit and re commission it?

Has anyone else had a similar issue and managed to sort it out? If so how? Or if anyone knows more about these things and can offer any sort of further explanation that would also be great!

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    We had similar with the EDF meters.

We had them installed for about six months before we moved out. The gas meter never did send smart readings nor connect with the IHD.

We have since switched to British Gas in the new house and both the gas and electric smart meters work in this house and connect with the IHD!
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The big difference between electricity smart meters and gas smart meters is that the electricity ones have a handy mains power supply to power them. The gas ones have to run off a battery.

So the gas meter has a much lower power radio. It is supposed to talk to the electricity meter, which then relays the readings on to your supplier and to the IHD.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • EH75
    Yeah I know the gas only runs off a battery but surely it should still be able to talk to a relatively nearby electricity meter? Otherwise the whole system isn't fit for purpose.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EH75 wrote: »
    Yeah I know the gas only runs off a battery but surely it should still be able to talk to a relatively nearby electricity meter? Otherwise the whole system isn't fit for purpose.

Not a unique problem. A relation of mine had smarts installed by Scottish Power - the gas meter never sent readings to SP or the IHD, even tho' it is only ~ 4 m from the leccy meter.Gave up in the end - now switched away and both meters are "dumb":(
  • The smart gas meter could be working ok and sending reads off to supplier. Suppliers could have an app to download where you could use your phone instead of the free IHD to easily monitor usage. ..
    You could try moving the IHD to a different position to see if it improves..Mine always worked fine in my old property but both meters were close to each other.. Suppliers are supposed to be looking for an answer to non communicating gas meters
  • EH75
    Nah I've spoken to the supplier and the gas meter is definitely not sending readings. I have had the IHD all over the house including on window sills directly above both meters, which doesn't make any difference to the gas reception. Electricity picks up fine everywhere, gas I get nothing even with the IHD right on top of the meter.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    So glad you brought this up, I am also an EDF customer, usually a happy one. Mine is one of 6 in-line, linked bungalows which were changed over 3 years ago, from Economy 7 and ancient storage heaters, to gas central heating. Meters are outside the front of the properties.

The electric meter was changed from 3 phase (no we don't know why it had been 3 phase either!) to single phase. The gas meter lies next to my neighbour's gas meter and both are quite a distance from their respective electric meter.

Our village has notoriously bad reception for every signal, TV, DAB radio and mobile. Taking that and your experience into account, I am more convinced than ever that a smart meter is not for me. I have informed my neighbours of this and asked them to use their own judgement.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nah I've spoken to the supplier and the gas meter is definitely not sending readings. I have had the IHD all over the house including on window sills directly above both meters, which doesn't make any difference to the gas reception. Electricity picks up fine everywhere, gas I get nothing even with the IHD right on top of the meter.
    The gas meter is probably sending readings quite happily, but it only talks to the Communications Hub which forms part of the electricity smart meter. The link won't work if the gas meter is too far from the electricity meter, regardless of where the IHD is located.
  • EH75
    Yeah I know that I was just using the location of the IHD as a general gauge of signal strength.

Anyway surely approximately 3 metres is not too far from the communications hub?

Imagine if you had to be within 3 metres of your WiFi router to pick up an Internet signal?
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Imagine if you had to be within 3 metres of your WiFi router to pick up an Internet signal?
    You would have to be if your router had to rely on just one built-in battery for 10 years !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback